Need to upgrade, which way to go?

R

Ric2L

Enthusiast
Looking for advice, not sure which way to go.

I want to update my current home theater setup which consists of a Yamaha RX V765 receiver. 2 Definitive Technology Mythos One towers for front L/R, a Mythos 9 for the center, 2 Mythos Gems for L/R rear surround and an SVS SC 1000 Sub. I would like to go to a 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 setup. I’m going to update the receiver with a Denon X4700H. There on sale right now. The Yamaha won’t do 4K or atmos. And add another SVS sub. I’m just not sure what to do with the speaker situation. I could maybe move the two towers to the rear, buy a couple Deftech 9060 bp’s for the front along with 2 more Gems, and use all 4 Gems as height speakers? Or just get rid of all the Deftech’s and go with something like a complete SVS or maybe Klipsch or KEF, Elac,? I’m not sure. Whichever speakers I end up going with I want to stay under $5000.00 excluding the receiver. I’m just not really sure if its worth keeping the Deftechs and trying to match something up with them to achieve an Atmos/DTSX setup. My living room is 16 x 24

Any Suggestions / Advice?

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
Where do you have the surrounds? To the sides of the MLP? Or are they a bit in back of the MLP?

I'm sticking with a 5.1 setup and there was a very noticable benefit in moving the surrounds from their original side positions to now the rear.

While it won't be the same as having discrete speakers for Atmos, I'm curious to hear how the Atmos virtualization will be.

So if you're picking up a new receiver, maybe see if it has the Atmos virtualization and if that would be good enough for your setup. If not, you could then explore adding more speakers.

R

Ric2L

Enthusiast
Where do you have the surrounds? To the sides of the MLP? Or are they a bit in back of the MLP?

I'm sticking with a 5.1 setup and there was a very noticable benefit in moving the surrounds from their original side positions to now the rear.

While it won't be the same as having discrete speakers for Atmos, I'm curious to hear how the Atmos virtualization will be.

So if you're picking up a new receiver, maybe see if it has the Atmos virtualization and if that would be good enough for your setup. If not, you could then explore adding more speakers.
I was thinking along those lines also. I will defiantly get the receiver first and see what difference it makes, then attack the speakers. The rears are to the sides in the far back corners, but my sofa is against the back wall so I really cant move them very much.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Imo with the seating as it is, I would stick to a 5.x.2 arrangement. I feel like in order to properly do 7ch, or x.x.4 you should have 5 or 6’ behind the LP. I would probably upgrade the sub to a nice pair of updated ones, and ditch the DT’s as short as budget allows.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I vote for just adding more Gems for surrounds/ATMOS, especially if you think your current system already sounds great and just wanted to experience 4K-ATMOS/DTSX. No reason to spend $5K just for 4K-ATMOS. :D

So the salient question is, how do you feel about the sound quality of your current system?

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I vote for just adding more Gems for surrounds/ATMOS, especially if you think your current system already sounds great and just wanted to experience 4K-ATMOS/DTSX. No reason to spend $5K just for 4K-ATMOS. :D

So the salient question is, how do you feel about the sound quality of your current system?
Yeah I’m using 4ch right now until I get a new tv stand for a center channel.
what does Atmos really add to justify spending thousands on it ? I can not ceiling mount speakers and very unlikely to convince my parents to wall mount Atmos .
I’m using a old onkyo 818 with no Atmos. :(As to the op be sure you can put speakers in the proper spots otherwise Atmos is a Gimmick!!?? Bounce house speakers(do they work or a scam ?))??

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I’m using 4ch right now until I get a new tv stand for a center channel.
what does Atmos really add to justify spending thousands on it ? I can not ceiling mount speakers and very unlikely to convince my parents to wall mount Atmos .
I’m using a old onkyo 818 with no Atmos. :(As to the op be sure you can put speakers in the proper spots otherwise Atmos is a Gimmick!!?? Bounce house speakers(do they work or a scam ?))??
ATMOS/DTSX can be “FUN” and be “worth it”. But it’s not worth $5K.

And I would not do those gimmick ATMOS modules either. Do in-ceiling or on-ceiling or high up on-wall.

If your system already sounds great and you just want to experience 4K, get a new AVR. If you want ATMOS, add a few ceiling/wall speakers.

Or if you were going replace your entire system anyway, then go for it.

But if the ONLY 2 things you truly want to try out are 4K and ATMOS, there’s no need to spend $5K.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It is recommended to use monopole speakers for all the speakers in an Atmos configuration

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Looking for advice, not sure which way to go.

I want to update my current home theater setup which consists of a Yamaha RX V765 receiver. 2 Definitive Technology Mythos One towers for front L/R, a Mythos 9 for the center, 2 Mythos Gems for L/R rear surround and an SVS SC 1000 Sub. I would like to go to a 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 setup. I’m going to update the receiver with a Denon X4700H. There on sale right now. The Yamaha won’t do 4K or atmos. And add another SVS sub. I’m just not sure what to do with the speaker situation. I could maybe move the two towers to the rear, buy a couple Deftech 9060 bp’s for the front along with 2 more Gems, and use all 4 Gems as height speakers? Or just get rid of all the Deftech’s and go with something like a complete SVS or maybe Klipsch or KEF, Elac,? I’m not sure. Whichever speakers I end up going with I want to stay under $5000.00 excluding the receiver. I’m just not really sure if its worth keeping the Deftechs and trying to match something up with them to achieve an Atmos/DTSX setup. My living room is 16 x 24

Any Suggestions / Advice?
Unless you don't like how your current speakers sound and if this is for mostly HT there is no real reason to replace the base layer speakers. Adding Atmos can make a nice difference for some content. Maybe the new AVR and Atmos and a pair of larger subs.

R

Ric2L

Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions, definitely gives me something to think about. I'm going with the receiver first and I will see how much improvement I get. I'm just not real happy with the sound I get with the DefTech's. May be my ears, I'm getting older, but it sounds muddier to me, not as clear. Lately I find myself turning up the center channel so I can hear dialog better. When I listen to a neighbors Focal/Denon system it sounds so much clearer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While sometimes speaker changes are good, that can be expensive for an entire system. I wouldn't get more DefTechs particularly except maybe as suggested some more of the gems for surrounds/heights duties and add a sub to start along with the avr. Do you have enough distance behind your seat for a 7ch bed layer? Which sub is that (at least never heard of a sealed column sub from them)? What other speakers have you heard that you might prefer to the DefTecs?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm just not real happy with the sound I get with the DefTech's.
Well then you have our “blessings” to sell all your entire DefTech system and replace them with a completely different brand. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If you aren’t happy, we aren’t happy. :)

Maybe try a new brand of speakers and get the bookshelf speakers first to see if you like them or not before you commit to changing the fronts. Then the bookshelf speakers could be the rear speakers if you end up changing everything.

R

Ric2L

Enthusiast
I received my new Denon x4700h today and all I can say is HOLY CRAP!!!! This made an incredible difference. The sound is so much clearer and crisp. I guess my old Yamaha just couldn't keep up with todays sound formats. I think I will still look into upgrading my PC 1000 subwoofer. I'm thinking 2 SVS SB2000's or maybe 3000's?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I received my new Denon x4700h today and all I can say is HOLY CRAP!!!! This made an incredible difference. The sound is so much clearer and crisp. I guess my old Yamaha just couldn't keep up with todays sound formats. I think I will still look into upgrading my PC 1000 subwoofer. I'm thinking 2 SVS SB2000's or maybe 3000's?
Why change to sealed? Size restrictions? Maybe another PC (not offered in the 1000 series these days, tho).

R

Ric2L

Enthusiast
Why change to sealed? Size restrictions? Maybe another PC (not offered in the 1000 series these days, tho).
I figured because I can't get another matching sub, so may as well upgrade. I use the the system for music also & I think 2 sealed would be best? Room is 16x24, but it open's into my kitchen, Large archway.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I figured because I can't get another matching sub, so may as well upgrade. I use the the system for music also & I think 2 sealed would be best? Room is 16x24, but it open's into my kitchen, Large archway.
Sealed for music isn’t really a thing. That’s a pretty good sized space(same as mine), and I would never consider sealed(ever really) for it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not a thing with a well designed sub, and you lose efficiency in the lowest frequencies. I'd still use ported in a room that size particularly, preferably two. Your PC1000 is ported.....is it an issue with music?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Sealed for music isn’t really a thing. That’s a pretty good sized space(same as mine), and I would never consider sealed(ever really) for it.
Cheap bloated subs and car subs are why people think sealed are magically better… a good ported sub always beats a sealed for low output down to tuning frequency. I went with sealed for my diy for more controlled output I don’t need max output .
The two subs I use mainly are cheap ported .
Take this debate to the subwoofer forum lol
op can make a new thread .
:D this is the set up I’m trying out:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis