Need to downsize setup

M

mikeh0314

Audiophyte
I currently have a rather large setup for our small living room, denon receiver, Pioneer Andrew Jones center, rear, sub and bowers and Wilkins floor speakers. The wife said it is too big for our living room and wants it out or maybe a sound bar at most. any suggestions on sound bars, haven’t thought about budget yet just looking to see what’s out there that could give me comparable sound. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Respectfully tell you wife that its your home too and that good audio is a value of yours. :) I'm not suggesting you be mean about it, but relationships are two way streets. If its remotely important to you, you should be able to keep it in your life, and she should get that.
Just a thought from a guy that stood up for what was important to me. :cool:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Respectfully tell you wife that its your home too and that good audio is a value of yours. :) I'm not suggesting you be mean about it, but relationships are two way streets. If its remotely important to you, you should be able to keep it in your life, and she should get that.
Come on now, you did move your primary system to your office instead of the living room... :) My thought, too....this arbitrary WAF thing that goofy decorations and doodads look any better than audio gear.... ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Come on now, you did move your primary system to your office instead of the living room... :)
I did, but she also agreed we would upgrade the front room. For which I'm going to build the speakers. :p Mind, she agreed originally to me putting the system out there. She changed her mind and threw a bit of a fit. I kept my cool, didn't cave to her, and she came around. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did, but she also agreed we would upgrade the front room. For which I'm going to build the speakers. :p Mind, she agreed originally to me putting the system out there. She changed her mind and threw a bit of a fit. I kept my cool, didn't cave to her, and she came around. :)
I remember most of that :) But I'm single and don't need to....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with you. In a couple, the lady should not boss and the man shouldn't either. Then, if that doesn't work, there is a solution, they should separate as the one who is bossed won't be happy after a while.

If it's someone's passion to have a more elaborate equipment, then he should keep to it otherwise he won't be happy. Every one should be allowed his reasonable passion.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I currently have a rather large setup for our small living room, denon receiver, Pioneer Andrew Jones center, rear, sub and bowers and Wilkins floor speakers. The wife said it is too big for our living room and wants it out or maybe a sound bar at most. any suggestions on sound bars, haven’t thought about budget yet just looking to see what’s out there that could give me comparable sound. Thanks!

To answer you question, you will not get anything close to comparable quality from a sound bar.

So, without more detail it is not possible to advise you.

Is there another space in the home to put your system?

If not pictures would help.

Designing elegant systems is certainly possible. It is possible to get good results and have elegant design.

May be a small bookshelf system would do the trick. This is where pictures really help.

Another possibility is an elegant in wall system.

If there is a place to build a false wall that can really help.

In our new home we are building, my wife wants a good system she hardly wants to see. I personally did not want a system in that space but she does, but does not want to see it.

So I'm using the space to the left of the fireplace chimney breast.

So this is a 3.1 in wall system that models well. Time will tell whether it is any good.

Right and left tweeters are around 7 feet apart and the tweeters 36" above the floor.
If the modelling turns out correct, or even if not the crossovers can be modified according to results of measurements.

So this should fulfill my wife's sonic criteria and have good WAF. All that will be visible will be the TV screen and the speaker grills.
So you do have some options.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Come on now, you did move your primary system to your office instead of the living room... :) My thought, too....this arbitrary WAF thing that goofy decorations and doodads look any better than audio gear.... ;)
Well...marriages are more about compromise...right?

In most of our homes, I've been fortunate to have a little dedicated space for my hobby. In this current home, the family room has a nice layout for a open concept floor plan, but not the best configuration for a TV/speakers etc. so the compromise was....all speakers on the main floor would be in ceiling type and I would move my audio "stuff" to the loft upstairs.

Initially I was not thrilled by this because we both wanted one level living (80% of the heated space is on the msin level) but I've come to love my little man cave now :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well...marriages are more about compromise...right?

In most of our homes, I've been fortunate to have a little dedicated space for my hobby. In this current home, the family room has a nice layout for a open concept floor plan, but not the best configuration for a TV/speakers etc. so the compromise was....all speakers on the main floor would be in ceiling type and I would move my audio "stuff" to the loft upstairs.

Initially I was not thrilled by this because we both wanted one level living (80% of the heated space is on the msin level) but I've come to love my little man cave now :)
Wouldn't know, never been married...partially for such reasons seeing what many of my friends go thru. Personally if she didn't like my main interests it would be a problem from the get-go (and that's fairly easy, a/v and bikes).

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Wouldn't know, never been married...partially for such reasons seeing what many of my friends go thru. Personally if she didn't like my main interests it would be a problem from the get-go (and that's fairly easy, a/v and bikes).
I entirely agree with you. I was married once and finally divorced. In North America, for the last 40 years at least, 50% of marriages end in divorce. So why get married? As you know, it's a lot less trouble to separate when you're not married. I no longer believe in marriage and wouldn't marry again.

2channel lover

I hear ya.

31 yrs now...mostly good yrs, it's been a good run so far...but I've said many times, if this marriage ended for whatever reason, I most likely would not do it again. Not anti-marriage obviously, but the older you get the less compromising you're willing to do.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Too stick to your original question I'm afraid you will not find a sound bar that will come close it's just not possible and once you've tasted good sound its hard to let go off it

As one poster mentioned any way you can compromise move your gear to another room that can be your own man cave kind off thing

I'm single for a lottof the reasons mentioned above but I'm aware and respect that other people choose that special person and want to make it work I respect that. I don't want to stir up trouble for u. It's easy for me to say to hell with that if I'm single but it's not so easy when you love someone

So you have to ask yourself can you live with selling your gear and settling for a sound bar? Is she worth it? If selling your gear and losing that level of sound is hard for you if just settling on your audio isn't something you could live with is there a compromise? An alternate room or a way to put in a more elegant system as one person mentioned that you both can live with?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
As for myself I can empathize

I just sold my house and bought a new one big enough for me and my parents. They need a place to stay half the year eventually it will be permanent

I was not happy to give up my man house/cave but this is necessary blood is blood I've always honored family.

But it's not going be easy but I think we did a good job coming to terms lol. The terms were the downstairs is there's but the upstairs is my domain. I get to build a true theater room built for both music and movies closed off from the house so I don't have to hear them gripe about my audio

And I'll be able to setup a bedroom system for whatever the hell I want this will be where I flip and try new gear and systems which I like to do a lot

So I can empathize with the OP it's not easy but I was able to find compromises

M

mikeh0314

Audiophyte
Thanks for all that marriage advice guys lol. Can anyone recommend a sound bar that wouldn’t sound half bad? Budget aside I’m looking for anything that could be considered at least decent audio quality. I’ve read a couple reviews on the Samsung N950 with atmos that sounded promising.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How much do you want to spend on the soundbar? Soundbar with sub or also with surrounds or just soundbar ?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for all that marriage advice guys lol. Can anyone recommend a sound bar that wouldn’t sound half bad? Budget aside I’m looking for anything that could be considered at least decent audio quality. I’ve read a couple reviews on the Samsung N950 with atmos that sounded promising.

Well obviously she's worth it so as mentioned what's your max budget do you want just a sound bar or a sound bar with surrounds and a sub some of them come like that

2channel lover

Sound bar recommendation...the only sound bar I've heard that I would buy or recommend is the Golden Ear Super Cinema Array XL, actually either one, the X as well, but the XL w/sub was impressive for a sound bar.

These are not budget sound bars though...just the bar will set you back $1k to $1.5k.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
I'm in the same boat for different reasons. My Step daughter moved back in with us and she is having a baby. I cant imagine worrying about little fingers on my speakers so I want to get rid of it all and get a sound bar mounted to the wall. I've already downsized from separates to a receiver and from 5 ch to 3 ch. my budget is about 1k-1200 and I dont need rear ch. speakers but I do want the best I can get for that range.

as for the marriage advice, I like being married and I like my wife, I'd rather sit next to her with a sound bar then not with a great system.

i am considering the samsung 80 series hk/sound bar and possibly the Dennon. I'm not sure whats out there to be honest.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis