Need suggestions for center channel speaker upgrade

A

aprabhu

Audiophyte
Hello
This is for living room home audio setup
I currently have an Onkyo HT R591 receiver. I was using its stock 5.1 speakers setup(391 series) Recently I replaced front 2 speakers with Polk r50 tower speakers. I could visibly notice the Onkyo center speaker is not able to match r50s. Dialogues audio output is very weak with r50s blasting. I realize now the center speaker need an upgrade. Here are my choices and need suggestions
Polk csr, cs180 types - should I match Polk only?
Or will upgrade to klipsch series around $200 bring a difference?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would stay with a Polk center from the same speaker line as your left/right speakers. A Klipsch center might be too large of a timbral mismatch to the Polks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You might also look thru these articles

1MoreFord

Audiophyte
OP, if you decide to try some Klipsch I'd suggest the RC-62ii, RP-450c, or Rp-504c. While none of these are Klipsch's latest all can be found at discounted prices on Amazon for easy returns. I have and like a 62ii for it's 6.5" woofers and front porting. Of course the 450c and 504c are newer designs. All three are larger centers so be sure to check for available space.

I have a RC-35 on my little bedroom system along with some antique Pioneer CS-66(a's) that I find to match well. Mismatched centers and mains can work together.

Last edited:
A

aprabhu

Audiophyte
Thanks, I upgraded the center channel speaker to Polk CS180. Now I could see audio output is deep. Left & right channels are going along with center. Previously L & R channels were blasting with center muffled. Thank you for valuable suggestions

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, I upgraded the center channel speaker to Polk CS180. Now I could see audio output is deep. Left & right channels are going along with center. Previously L & R channels were blasting with center muffled. Thank you for valuable suggestions
You did go thru setup on avr to accommodate different speakers when you originally changed L/R speakers?

A

aprabhu

Audiophyte
You did go thru setup on avr to accommodate different speakers when you originally changed L/R speakers?
No I just removed old speakers and hooked new ones. But from your message, I suspect I missed this key part.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No I just removed old speakers and hooked new ones. But from your message, I suspect I missed this key part.
You need to adjust the new speakers to the system, re-running the setup routine is a good thing

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis