Need Sub..small footprint

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
MacManNM said:
Dayton titanic 10", .7 ft^3 enclosure. The one with the better response is the vented. Now shut up already.
I'm not going to "shut up" because you said it, but because arguing with a door knob has very little benifits.

SheepStar

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Sheep said:
I'm not going to "shut up" because you said it, but because arguing with a door knob has very little benifits.

SheepStar
You don't know what you are talking about. You are barely out of high school, live with your parents, and you have no design experience with loudspeakers; yet you see fit to spout all of this wrong information, and because you have umpteen posts and people actually believe you. If you want to be subjective that’s fine, but leave the design and analysis to those of us who have the degree and experience.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
MacManNM said:
You don't know what you are talking about. You are barely out of high school, live with your parents, and you have no design experience with loudspeakers; yet you see fit to spout all of this wrong information, and because you have umpteen posts and people actually believe you. If you want to be subjective that’s fine, but leave the design and analysis to those of us who have the degree and experience.
And what degree would this be? Maybe I will get one when I go to school in the fall.

SheepStar

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Sheep said:
And what degree would this be? Maybe I will get one when I go to school in the fall.

SheepStar
See if you can make it through the basic math and physics first. that should take you a year or so then ask me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sheep said:
No, I'm saying how do a car engine's of the SAME cubic inches perform when using a different intake system.

This proves, that cubic foot for cubic foot, a sealed sub will perform better. Obviously, if the ported subwoofer gets a box DOUBLE the size it can haul A$$, same with an engine with a larger displacement.

SheepStar
Sorry man, but that is where you are wrong. On the one hand, if you use a box that is too big for a sealed design, you lose the spring effect and get a sub that sounds like crap. If you use an enclosure that is vented but is too small to properly tune, it will also sound like crap. You asked before, if both are designed for 20Hz performance what would happen? Well, you will get two vastly different designs to achieve that performance.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Meanwhile, back at the Hall Of Justice...

MacManNM said:
MacMan;
I understand your frustration with this argument and in fact, the whole discussion Sheep and yourself have been carrying on has little to do with OP's thread, it's just turned into a pissing contest. But using the argument "You are barely out of high school" and "live with your parents" is, ironically, a bit sophomorish.

If you two would like to continue the scientific aspects of designing and measuring of sealed vs ported subs, open up a separate thread. Don't think I'm just calling you out, but I think we're getting a little carried away with a thread that started out as a someone requesting advice on a sub with a small footprint... -TD

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Sheep, MacManNM is correct. However, by technicality, it is true that a sealed box will respond lower than a ported counterpart. But here is the clincher: look at the response plots as shown by MacManNM. By the time the sealed enclosure has a higher amplitude at the lowest frequencies, it so far down in amplitude level that it is useless for all practical intents and purposes. It takes an exceptional driver in a sealed alignment to yield the same level of performance of a decent ported system, because you have to equalize the response and run the driver at much higher power levels/mechanical limitations in order to match the equivalent output of a lesser driver in a ported system. The only tangible benefit of a sealed system, as I see it, is space. You can equalize the small sealed box to any response desired, if the driver has the power/mechanical abilities to produce acceptable SPL vs. distortion at those frequencies. But this is waste of an exceptional driver. It would perform far better in a proper ported system. Some people claim transient response and group delay as reasons to avoid ported systems. But I challenge them to show that this difference is important via credible perceptual research. If you so desire, I can provide you with carefully altered files with different phase/group delay roll off characteristics that you can use in an ABX comparator program to sample without bias, in order to realize the triviality of the actual differences so far as these parameters are concerned.

-Chris

Last edited:
MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
tomd51 said:
MacMan;
I understand your frustration with this argument and in fact, the whole discussion Sheep and yourself have been carrying on has little to do with OP's thread, it's just turned into a pissing contest. But using the argument "You are barely out of high school" and "live with your parents" is, ironically, a bit sophomorish.

If you two would like to continue the scientific aspects of designing and measuring of sealed vs ported subs, open up a separate thread. Don't think I'm just calling you out, but I think we're getting a little carried away with a thread that started out as a someone requesting advice on a sub with a small footprint... -TD
Have you even read the thread? SteveM650 got a sub, so who cares?
Are you the thread police?

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
MacManNM said:
Have you even read the thread? SteveM650 got a sub, so who cares?
Are you the thread police?
Yes, I did. I'm glad you considered the thought behind my posting, though, I figured you'd respond like this.

Am I the thread police? No, I just happened to still be subscribed to this thread and was surprised at the pissing contest still going on. Are you typically this ignorant?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
About time for the review of the sub purchased, don't you guys think?;)

S

stevem650

Audioholic Intern
I received the sub and will be listening to it this eve for the first time. I will let you know what I think but the way this thread has gone, who cares.:(

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
stevem650 said:
I received the sub and will be listening to it this eve for the first time. I will let you know what I think but the way this thread has gone, who cares.:(
'tis why I was trying to bring it back.:)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
stevem650 said:
Well, you DID stop posting. If you came back and started posting I would have helped you out and forgot about the sqable with Mac.

Is there any news? Did you get the dominator yet? I completely forgot about that sub; I thought the sale ended. A good call on Zumbo's part.

SheepStar

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
tomd51 said:
Yes, I did. I'm glad you considered the thought behind my posting, though, I figured you'd respond like this.

Am I the thread police? No, I just happened to still be subscribed to this thread and was surprised at the pissing contest still going on. Are you typically this ignorant?
Ignorant? No. Arrogant, obtuse, and condescending? Always.

S

stevem650

Audioholic Intern
OK...I set up this eve the Carver Dominator D12 sub. I'm not a music or sound expert but all I can say is that this sub just blows my old sub away. I do have it paired up with four Anthony Gallo Adiva Ti's and a Gallo Due" for the center. These speakers are no bigger than a grapefruit and the center Due" is basically 2 Ti's and a tweeter in one. My amp is the Yamaha RXV 1600 which has a Ypao feature that sets your speakers up. I have all my speakers set to small and a crossover of 100. The sound is just incredible. The Gallo manual says it takes about 50 hours for the speakers to break in. I can't see how they could sound much better after the break in time.
I have my sub positioned for now on my rear wall to the left of me when sitting. It fills the room and it's hard to detect where the sub is. I am very pleased with it and glad Zumbo turned me on to it. It's only a 13.5 cube with plenty of power for my size room. For the price and sound, I would recommend this sub.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
We have a winner...

Good deal, Steve. With a little help, sounds like you made the right choice! :cool: -TD

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
stevem650 said:
OK...I set up this eve the Carver Dominator D12 sub. I'm not a music or sound expert but all I can say is that this sub just blows my old sub away. I do have it paired up with four Anthony Gallo Adiva Ti's and a Gallo Due" for the center. These speakers are no bigger than a grapefruit and the center Due" is basically 2 Ti's and a tweeter in one. My amp is the Yamaha RXV 1600 which has a Ypao feature that sets your speakers up. I have all my speakers set to small and a crossover of 100. The sound is just incredible. The Gallo manual says it takes about 50 hours for the speakers to break in. I can't see how they could sound much better after the break in time.
I have my sub positioned for now on my rear wall to the left of me when sitting. It fills the room and it's hard to detect where the sub is. I am very pleased with it and glad Zumbo turned me on to it. It's only a 13.5 cube with plenty of power for my size room. For the price and sound, I would recommend this sub.
Excellent. Another satisfied poster. Post some pics in the member systems forum. :)

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis