Need sub recommendations, preferably white

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
By the way, there was a white SVS SB-3000 which really is a killer sub, but sadly that version was only released in Europe. A sealed sub that can dig down to 20 Hz with some real oomph is the SVS SB16-Ultra. A really good sealed sub for deep bass, but alas it is not available in white. JTR used to offer their subs in automotive finishes, and the RS1 would be absolutely bonkers in deep bass, but that would probably be well over $3k in a gloss white if they even offer that anymore. It would have many times the performance of some Rythmik 12"s though.

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
All good info. Thanks everyone! Very much appreciate the reality check and advice

I'll keep thinking more about the gloss black option so I can go with a moderately sized ported sub

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another consideration would be a good diy kit (flatpack/driver) and then have it prepped by a professional paint shop after assembly (which is relatively simple with a cnc cut flatpack)....run the two subs off a single amp and the price in the end could work out nicely.

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
Since there were a lot of compromise options, and none that are a perfect fit, I'm starting to think I might just get two of the good value subs (SVS, Monolith, etc.) and wrap them in gloss white vinyl or some rustic wood look to match the decor of the room.

That way I can get what I really want performance wise, but without it looking too terrible.

Anyone have recommendations for fabric I can use in place of the black usually found on subs? Jamo has a cool heather gray fabric, and I've seen some nice white ones.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Just order it. Have it delivered when she's out of the House. Set it up and place a $200 Gift Certificate to her favorite Spa on Top. You'll have no Issues

This sounds like a man who knows how things work! Or at least bribery in my house is my best case

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I am still considering the F12SE in white. Maybe I'm being cheap but when I see how the SVS 2000 series or the ported Monolith 10 sub performs, I feel like those are way better value and plenty more performance than I need.
I agree. Just trying to help you find white or fancy wood. I have a PC-2000 tube shaped sub sitting in the box in my living room waiting on other components to show up next week so I can put it all together. My wife didn't like the huge black boxes either.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Anyone have recommendations for fabric I can use in place of the black usually found on subs? Jamo has a cool heather gray fabric, and I've seen some nice white ones.
I buy black myself (via parts-express.com), but if you get yourself to a fabric store (if open I suppose) I'd think you'd probably find several color choices in a suitable fabric.

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
Thanks guys, I do appreciate the sounding board and advice for sure. The more I looked at the value subs the more I thought I'd rather spend the money elsewhere - I already have awesome speakers, and I'd be better served by a better TV (currently thinking Visio 85" Quantum X when it's out, but would consider the 77" LG CX OLED or similar).

@lovinthehd I just realized it's not as important to be acoustic transparent as with speakers. I just don't want to dampen the air moving too much. Good idea.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Last components I need to pick are subwoofers for my upcoming 5.2.4 system. LCR are Revel Concerta2 F36s and C25. Surrounds are Revel Concerta2 M16s. All are gloss white to match the room aesthetics.

I really don't want to spend $3000 on two matching Revel subs, but that's the fallback option. What options are out there in the $1k-$2k (total for 2) range?

Room is 13'w x 23'd x 8'h. The right hand side is almost entirely open to the kitchen which is about the same size with a vaulted ceiling, but I'm not concerned with audio in there. I've seen the spreadsheet here but not sure which options are available in white and would work well.
One option you might consider is four white SB1000s, if white is non-negotiable and your budget doesn't stretch to Funk Audio and about $5K for a custom finish 18" thing. The 4xSB1000s are ostensibly $2400 shipped, but I suspect if you call SVS you might get a discount. They often discount just pairs of subs. I use a single SB1000 with my desktop system in a room with at least as much internal volume as yours, and it produces surprising bass for such a small sub. They're also small enough to spread them around a room easily. Or you could stack two pairs and still come out smaller than most ported subs. No, you're probably not going to achieve totally impressive sub-20Hz bass, but if you have to have white for about $2K this might be your best alternative other than DIY. (IMO, a big ported sub in gloss white would look like a small refrigerator or a perhaps a clothes dryer.)

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
Finally able to close this one out after I showed my wife the various options you all offered here; 2-4x SB1000/Speedwoofer 10S, 2x Rythmik L12/F12SE, gloss black subs, white vinyl wrap over Monolith 10's (not a chance haha), and so on.

In the end I ordered two Rythmik L12s in gloss white.

What pushed it over the edge was the combo of size, low frequency performance, and from the pics on their Facebook page they should be a close enough match to the Revel Concerta2's white. Decided against the F12SE's since I already stretched the budget more than planned on the TV (now LG CX OLED 77").

To all that helped, thank you!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis