Need sub recommendations, preferably white

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
Last components I need to pick are subwoofers for my upcoming 5.2.4 system. LCR are Revel Concerta2 F36s and C25. Surrounds are Revel Concerta2 M16s. All are gloss white to match the room aesthetics.

I really don't want to spend $3000 on two matching Revel subs, but that's the fallback option. What options are out there in the $1k-$2k (total for 2) range?

Room is 13'w x 23'd x 8'h. The right hand side is almost entirely open to the kitchen which is about the same size with a vaulted ceiling, but I'm not concerned with audio in there. I've seen the spreadsheet here but not sure which options are available in white and would work well.

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
SVS used to make a White subwoofer, but I don't think they do anymore. Don't know who does thats a Performer

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The SVS SB-1000 can be had in gloss white. Dali Audio, Rythmik Audio, Bower & Wilkins, and Monitor Audio make some gloss white subs. The thing is your left/right speakers are no slouches in the low end, and I question whether any but the most expensive of those would actually be an improvement in the low end of that system. I wouldn't bother with sealed 12" subs for a system like that. Maybe take a good inexpensive sub like a Hsu ULS-15 mk2 to a car paint place and have them give it a white automotive finish.

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
@mazersteven they still offer the SB1000 in gloss white. Looks perfect, but I'm not sure the output is enough for the room.

@shadyJ that's pretty much what I've been thinking. There's no point getting a sub that has low output in the 20-30Hz range when the towers reach well into the 40Hz range.

I had also considered getting something like a PB2000 in gloss black and painting it, but at that point I'm closing in on the Revel price.

I haven't seen measurements of the Revel B10, too.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@mazersteven they still offer the SB1000 in gloss white. Looks perfect, but I'm not sure the output is enough for the room.

@shadyJ that's pretty much what I've been thinking. There's no point getting a sub that has low output in the 20-30Hz range when the towers reach well into the 40Hz range.

I had also considered getting something like a PB2000 in gloss black and painting it, but at that point I'm closing in on the Revel price.

I haven't seen measurements of the Revel B10, too.
I wouldn't expect greatness from the Revel B10. It's competent surely, but not in the league of say the upper end Hsu or SVS subs.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
That Piano Black SVS Ultra is Sexy. That won't work???

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
Thanks everyone, good food for thought. Need to see if that salk could fit.

Another option I thought of is doing a vinyl wrap on the sub. I have a guy that does amazing work for cheap and would do this for far less than actual paint.

@mazersteven it might. Need to see if that has a high enough WAF but that's a better option than getting an inferior set of subs for sure

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
@mazersteven it might. Need to see if that has a high enough WAF but that's a better option than getting an inferior set of subs for sure
Just order it. Have it delivered when she's out of the House. Set it up and place a $200 Gift Certificate to her favorite Spa on Top. You'll have no Issues

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
Lol she's super easy going. We knocked down the wall between the kitchen and living room so it's all good. Now it's her dream scenario. But I want it to match somewhat. I do like the idea of just going gloss black with something good, then painting it later if I need to.

Thanks everyone!

factoryguy

factoryguy

Audiophyte
Newbie here... How about RSL speedwoofer 10? They have white in stock now. I'm very happy with the pair I'm using, support is great and they are well rated.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Newbie here... How about RSL speedwoofer 10? They have white in stock now. I'm very happy with the pair I'm using, support is great and they are well rated.
His mains would probably keep up with that sub...

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
With everything I've found so far, I'm leaning toward the rythmik F12SE. Stretches the budget a bit, but should work well and match well

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
With everything I've found so far, I'm leaning toward the rythmik F12SE. Stretches the budget a bit, but should work well and match well
Still just a sealed 12". Don't expect miracles from it, even if it is pricey.

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
I understand. I'm looking to fill in the lowest frequencies more than shake the house. Two of those F12's should be decent in the low 20 Hz through 50Hz range, even if I'm never getting massive output levels. With young kids and an older house, can't play anything loud often. I don't know. This thread has been very helpful and I do now research before buying anything for sure

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I understand. I'm looking to fill in the lowest frequencies more than shake the house. Two of those F12's should be decent in the low 20 Hz through 50Hz range, even if I'm never getting massive output levels. With young kids and an older house, can't play anything loud often. I don't know. This thread has been very helpful and I do now research before buying anything for sure
A ported sub would be much better to fill in the range from 20 Hz to 50 Hz, but there aren't any white ported subs that dig to 20 Hz with serious muscle that I know of. Again, if you are giving your Revel speakers adequate amplification, those sealed 12"s may not even offer that much of a performance advantage. If you were willing to relax your requirements for a white sub, you could get a hell of a lot more bang for the buck in terms of performance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis