Need sub advice for new home office setup (Music, Games and TV)

Zigrivers

Zigrivers

Enthusiast
Let me say up front that I am brand new to all of this stuff and still learning. I've been living in the land of PC sound (with $50 PC speakers), but I've seen the light!

I am in the process of putting together my first higher end sound system for my home office and could really use some advice/suggestions on a good sub.

My office is a 15' x 15' carpeted room. The ceiling is 8'. I would like to get a sub that will last me for a long time to come with a budget of around $1,000.

My system at this point will consist of two Usher S-520s and an integrated amp (still trying to find the right one there - there are so many choices!). I've ordered the Prelude sound card for my PC and plan to run that through the amp.

I play games and listen to music via my PC and I have a TV in the office connected to an HD DVR.

I've spoken to a couple of dealers, but frankly it's been an unpleasant experience thus far and I can't shake the feeling that they're trying to sell me whatever they have in stock as opposed to the best/right sub for me and what I'm trying to do.

I would love to get some help from the community as I am a complete newb to all of this, but would like my first step into this to be a great one. :D

Let me know if I need to provide any other information.

Thanks for any help/advice you guys can give!

Zigrivers

Zigrivers

Enthusiast
Here is another good sub:

SVS PB12-Plus

Mazersteven's recommendation of the AV123 MFW-15 is also a good choice.
So I was looking at the PB12-Plus and called SVS. They say they are upgrading this model with new components and the new model will be available in about 5 or 6 weeks. They do have the old model that I can still buy, but the fact that they are upgrading it makes me hesitate (don't like the idea of buying older tech!).

Given this situation what would you guys recommend if I want to get something now?

Last edited by a moderator:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
So I was looking at the PB12-Plus and called SVS. They say they are upgrading this model with new components and the new model will be available in about 5 or 6 weeks. They do have the old model that I can still buy, but the fact that they are upgrading it makes me hesitate (don't like the idea of buying older tech!).

Given this situation what would you guys recommend if I want to get something now?
Did you ask what the price of the new model would be?

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned

What new sub are they talking about, the SB12-Plus is new, but is not an improvement over the PB12-PLUS ..in fact it seems to be quite a bit less.. look at the spec differences.
PB12-Plus http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-plus1.cfm
SB12-Plus (new) http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm

Now, the big question "Do you want to be really happy now, but $300-500 bucks lighter in the billfold?

Go bigger..Go better SVS PB13-Ultra ( just think you can forego you next sub upgrade :rolleyes: )
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm

Last edited by a moderator:
Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
After speaking with SVS about my recent purchase, they are updating the PB12-Plus...to what exactly this update will be--is uncertain, to us at least. And of course the SB12+ cannot play on the same field as the PB12+. The SB12 is built with a different set objectives in mind--that primarily being towards the compact sub market.

If you must have a new sub right now the current closeout price on the PB12+ is great. Keep in mind that once the PB12+ sees whatever update it is getting it is likely that it will be over your price limit as the current model sold for $1,150-$1,250 with shipping. So, you can always wait but the prices are more than likely going to be the same or possibly a bit higher than before on the PB's.

The HSU sugestions you have gotten also look good as well. It's just a matter of if you want to wait on the SVS update....or just go all out and get the ULTRA....:D

J

johsti

Audioholic
Since you won't be using this for HT duty, I would look for the fastest and most musical sub you can find rather than ultra low output. Maybe a used REL? The SVS and HSU are great subs too, in fact I own an SVS. However, I think they are geared more towards HT and low frequency output. I'm not saying they won't work great with music, but it doesn't sound like you will be listening to anything from your sources that would require much sub 25Hz performance (except for some video games maybe?).

Also, Usher is coming out with new bass modules/stands for the Usher S-520. They are supposed to be previewed in October at the Rocky Mountain Audiofest. Not sure on pricing though.

J

johsti

Audioholic
Also, when you say an integrated amp, I think of 2 channel. Are you looking to get a multichannel receiver with a dedicated subwoofer output, bass management, LFE, etc.? Or do you mean a 2 channel, analog in/out integrated amp?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah . . . integrated with BM include Outlaw and Arcam I believe. There might be a couple of others. But, really I would try to get a sub with high level ins/outs and do that instead. Subs usually have much more flexible BM than receivers.

I also greatly enjoyed my auditions of REL subs. Some people hate them because they look for output and extension as a first priority, and having listened to REL in an HT setup I can see why. OTOH, I've only liked what I've heard in a music setup. If REL, use the neutrik speakons.

OTOH, I have a JL sub because its the best I've ever heard for music. If I knew it was going to end up for HT only as it is now, its somewhat possible Id opt for an SVS with money in the pocket instead. Twice the cabinet volume, but it wouldn't bother me with the current sub location. Well the pb 13 ultra didn't exist then, so whatever. OTOH, if I got a second sub, the JL's smaller size would give me more options for sure. Just not there yet.

Then again, a square room might not be worth investing much into in terms of bass. 15x15?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis