Need some help with buying a new center speaker, please.

H

hawgdawg

Audiophyte
I am having a real problem getting clear dialog from my current center speaker. Looks like I'm not alone with this problem. My present setup is a new Sony DH-590 receiver; Front Speakers are Sony SS-B-3000 (which I like very much); Center Speaker is a Sony SS-CN3000P (which is cheap may be the problem); Rear Surrounds are Radio Shack Presidian PBS-5053 (which do very well for rear speakers). At present I do not have a sub-woofer. I have run several auto set-ups and made manual adjustments to the center and fronts (level-bass-treble). Have run them on Large and Small. The center is located below the TV (also a Sony) and is tilted up towards ear-level. I have also tried turning off the center and going with a phantom center, but I just don't like the sound with that set-up. Also, it forces me to turn up the volume quite a bit.

I am looking at a Sony SSCS8 as a replacement for my center and, according to Sony, it will match my fronts. But before I order one, I'd like to know if there is another speaker that would be better? Or is there an adjustment that I have not made that might make my present center work better?

Any help would be appreciated.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yup, that center is a junker alright. It is just two 2.75" full range drivers horizontally aligned in a cheap box. The SSCS8 will be a vastly superior center. They won't match your front speakers, but then again, not much will. Your left/right fronts should be a lot better than your present center speaker, but they ain't exactly greatness themselves. My recommendation is to replace your present center with the SSCS8, and eventually think about replacing your left and right fronts with the SSCS3 or SSCS5 speakers.

H

hawgdawg

Audiophyte
Thanks. Just as a trial and to get by until I decide what I want to do, I have disconnected the center and have run a new set-up using only the fronts and rear surrounds. Then I set the pattern at 4.1 and the front and rear speakers size to small. I'm trying to trick the receiver into thinking I have a sub. After testing several TV movies and DVD's, the dialog is much better. Surround effects are also good as I can hear choppers and air planes flying across the room. But the big thing is that I can understand most of the dialog better than before.

I'm probably going to get a new set of fronts along with a new center, but I think this new set-up will work until I can get out of the house. I'm going to do some more research and might go with another brand.

Thanks again.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
I have recently replaced my center channel speaker with a Klipsch RP-500C speaker and find that the clarity is positively amazing. An excellent center channel speaker. By the way, my main speakers are Tekton Double Impact. They match up perfectly with the Klipsch.

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
POLK CS 10 an amazing center and can be placed straight or Upside down to angle it up. Super clear and amazing bass

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis