Need some help in purchasing decision

P

paulyd04

Enthusiast
Alright folks, first time poster here. I am currently in the market for some speakers as I want to start building a system of my own. For starters, I am in college, so I'm def not looking at anything like Paradigm Signature Reference, Tannoy, etc... What I am looking to do is start with a good receiver and just 2 tower speakers for now. I currently am employed at Best Buy, so I'm somewhat knowledgeable, but still have alot to learn. I'm looking for advice on what to purchase for a set of tower speakers. I have been looking at the Klipsch F-3 and the Klipsch RF 82 (both which I get at an extreme discount.) I listen to alot of rock and roll along with enjoying action movies. I need a speaker that can withstand some fairly moderate volume levels while giving me that crisp high end, driving punchy midrange, and some nice low end. I understand that I'm not going to get awesome low-end w/out a sub, but I would like some speakers that would do an all around nice job. Keep in mind I work at Best Buy, so the only nice speakers I get discounts on are primarily klipsch. We have JBL too, but I haven't considered them. I don't want to spend over $500 for 2 speakers. What does everyone think?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Klipsch are highly sensitive and don't require much power to achieve very loud listening levels but you had better audition them as much as you can - preferably in your own room.

- Some people, myself included, don't really care for the extended highs of typical horn based speakers.
- Although 8 ohms nominal, some of the Klipsch speakers dip very low in impedance and that may be an issue with whatever receiver you end up buying.

P

paulyd04

Enthusiast
alright, so i'm not fully educated on the technical side. i have listened to the f3s and they have a good sound. ok so 8 ohms- what does that do for you? and also, i have no idea what impedance is hence my status as an audiophyte. oh, and would you recommend any other speaker for the money?

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
I don't know what a $500 budget gets you with your discount, but you might want to take a look at $250-300 bookshelves & $200-250 sub woofer.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speaker options

For Klipsch, stick with the refrence series.
Also look for Boston Acoustics or the new Athena speaker line at your BB store.

P

paulyd04

Enthusiast
for $500 I can pretty much have my pick at the loudspeakers. I can get the Klipsch F3s for about $170 a pop and I can get the Klipsch Reference RF 82s for $200 a pop. Oh, and deftech pointed me to av123. they seem cool but does anyone know anything about them?

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have been looking at the Klipsch F-3 and the Klipsch RF 82 (both which I get at an extreme discount.) I listen to alot of rock and roll along with enjoying action movies. I need a speaker that can withstand some fairly moderate volume levels while giving me that crisp high end, driving punchy midrange, and some nice low end.
If you can afford the RF-82s with your employee discount, that would be an excellent choice for your stated needs.

Even though they're an efficient speaker, the power supply is still important because you'll need the best power source possible to make them perform to their potential.

B

Buckeye_Nut

for $500 I can pretty much have my pick at the loudspeakers. I can get the Klipsch F3s for about $170 a pop and I can get the Klipsch Reference RF 82s for $200 a pop.
Are you sure this isnt the "Black Market" you're talking about? The only place you'll find brand new RF-82's selling for $200 each, is from a very HOT source named Guido.

:D

jinjuku

jinjuku

Are you sure this isnt the "Black Market" you're talking about? The only place you'll find brand new RF-82's selling for $200 each, is from a very HOT source named Guido.

:D
In the OP, he lets us know that he works @ Best Buy, hence a hefty discount.

I also thought that BB carries the Athena line...

B

Buckeye_Nut

How much of a discount does BB offer to their employees??

10-20% ??

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
For Klipsch, stick with the refrence series.
Also look for Boston Acoustics or the new Athena speaker line at your BB store.
Or check out the outgoing Athena line...at a nice discount.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATASF2.2

Well reviewed. Very sensitve, so they don't require much power to drive them to good volume. If you don't have a very powerful receiver/amp, you want something with high sensitivity (above 90) to achieve the volume you're looking for. Be sure to audition as many as you can before deciding. What sounds good to one man's ear aften sounds harsh to another's!;)

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Does your store carry Polk Audio?

Look into the RTi series. :D

B

BarryDVD

Enthusiast
Hi
If you have a DVD player that has either coaxial or optical output, can you plug the coaxial straight into a set of 5.1 speakers without having a A/V receiver?

S

slydog64

Audiophyte
BB employees get cost of what BB pays + 5%. I used to work there, its a good system because they got all my money back. Accessories and speakers have a huge markup. Some cables have around a 500% markup, pretty crazy.

E

EnzoPolotso

Audioholic Intern
Hi
If you have a DVD player that has either coaxial or optical output, can you plug the coaxial straight into a set of 5.1 speakers without having a A/V receiver?
you need something to power the speakers. like a reciever.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis