need some help figuring this out. HDMI switch problem

S

scottransell

Audiophyte
Ok have a issue with my system that could use someone help with. First off I will explain what I have in equipment first. I am using a Anthem 710 receiver and I have three TV coming from it. One is a Pioneer projector which is hooked up to the one HDMI output to the receiver and the other two TV's are being displayed using the other HDMI output but it has ARC on this one. My problem is this. The two TV using the ARC HDMI goes from the receiver to a 1 input to four output HDMI switch. Now the HDMI switch gives me pictures to both TV's but no sound from either TV. I have top end HDMI cables on both TV but wonder if this switch needs to be ARC supported if there is something out there with that many outputs for this many TV's or would I need to use optical support to get the sound. Another question is when programing the receiver it makes you use what your using for the sound like HDMI or optics or audio. I have tried with the HDMI figuring out that by going through the ARC it will work and if you install the HDMI cable from each TV to the one output from the receiver you get the sound but through the switch I get nothing. Just the picture.
I don't want to purchase another switch if there is something I not seeing here so this is why I am asking someone's help here. Not sure if there is even a switch out there that supports four output HDMI with ARC on them all.
Any advice would be appreciated thanks

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok have a issue with my system that could use someone help with. First off I will explain what I have in equipment first. I am using a Anthem 710 receiver and I have three TV coming from it. One is a Pioneer projector which is hooked up to the one HDMI output to the receiver and the other two TV's are being displayed using the other HDMI output but it has ARC on this one. My problem is this. The two TV using the ARC HDMI goes from the receiver to a 1 input to four output HDMI switch. Now the HDMI switch gives me pictures to both TV's but no sound from either TV. I have top end HDMI cables on both TV but wonder if this switch needs to be ARC supported if there is something out there with that many outputs for this many TV's or would I need to use optical support to get the sound. Another question is when programing the receiver it makes you use what your using for the sound like HDMI or optics or audio. I have tried with the HDMI figuring out that by going through the ARC it will work and if you install the HDMI cable from each TV to the one output from the receiver you get the sound but through the switch I get nothing. Just the picture.
I don't want to purchase another switch if there is something I not seeing here so this is why I am asking someone's help here. Not sure if there is even a switch out there that supports four output HDMI with ARC on them all.
Any advice would be appreciated thanks
One of the joys of HDMI is that it causes problems that can be difficult to solve- this is one of them.

Disconnect the projector and see if the sound comes back.

Check the specs for the switch- if it's older (HDMI 1.8 or lower), it's probably incompatible with the current form of ARC.

Don't expect miracles from a $24 HDMI switch- there are reasons most of these (the ones that work for most system setups) cost more. EDID is where you need to look.

Your projector isn't a current model- that means compatibility isn't guaranteed.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Let's clear up some definitions.

You have a 1x4 HDMI splitter. You are splitting one signal to four destinations.
A SWITCHER switches multiple sources to a single destination.

It's not clear where you are trying to get audio from. If you are trying to get audio from the displays through their local apps into your A/V receiver, then you aren't going to do this through a splitter. There is no way to do this that way. Instead, you would need to connect the optical audio output from each display directly to the A/V receiver. This is by far the best solution.

If you are trying to get audio to pass-through the A/V receiver to the displays, then that's a different question completley.

ARC and HDMI is very simple. ONE TV - ONE A/V RECEIVER

Don't screw with that setup, and you won't have a problem.

OF COURSE if you have multiple displays hooked up it won't know what to do. Of course you would need a ARC enabled HDMI splitter to do what you want. It then would only work with ONE of the displays hooked up to it I expect because it wouldn't know which display to pull audio from.

It's a fairly complex setup that goes against the stupidity which is HDMI and ARC.

Just use optical.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Does the Athem have audio out assign in its setup menus. If so you may have it turned off for the other two hdmis going to the switch box .

S

scottransell

Audiophyte
Ok to clear somethings up I have a pioneer projector and it’s a high end one so know it’s not that as it’s been working good for what I have all along.
I have my media and Apple TV hooked up with HDMI also optical hook up for the Apple also have a bellPvR hooked up with optical to it as well as HDMi. The one by four switch I have I paid over a hundred for it so it’s not a cheep one. Also my HDMi cables are all monster as well as my optical cables. My thought is I might have to get a new switch that has optical so it will take the sound from what ever source Im using and send it to the TV that aren’t getting sound from them as they all get picture but no sound. That’s why I’m questioning the switch needing a optical from the receiver to get soundout to the other TVs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis