Need some help choosing a miniDSP with Dirac

J

jid

Audioholic Intern
Hi, I lied I probably need a lot more help than that lol. However it is what I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out right now, I've read a lot and it's scrambled my brains so I'm just going to ask.

My idea is to build a 2.1 audio only system.. Source would be Tidal lossless streaming through chromecast.. since it's just 1 source I don't think I need a preamp yet just Toslink into a miniDSP.

This is where I get lost. I really want to try Dirac so I'd get one of the miniDSP models that support it.. However, is it best to get one that will do the DAC work and output Analog and then feed something like a NAD C338 that I'm considering? Or do I stay digital all the way to the integrated AMP or does it not matter much? Can any or all the models with Dirac act as a crossover or is it a specific one or do you do it in the settings? None of the integrated amps I'm looking at have a crossover so I'm hoping the miniDSP can do it. I've noticed some ppl here use a preamp and feed the x.1 signal to a miniDSP to EQ it exclusive of the other channels so I started wonderig if there is no crossover.

Speakers are not decided yet but I'm looking to get smaller bookshelves and powered sub.

Appreciate greatly any help I can get!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
For stereo listening with a single subwoofer, I wouldn't even bother!

Use your ears to set up the levels of L + R channel and do the sub crawl for positioning.

The room is an important part of the play back system so do your research and keep reading the articles here to keep learning! That and listening to as many speakers as possible will help your decision making.

J

jid

Audioholic Intern
Well, to put it shortly I am getting a miniDSP because I really want to play with it :). Also I don't trust my ears the way you do yours, I have neither the time nor opportunity to train them with good references.. I need machines to help me lol

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Well, to put it shortly I am getting a miniDSP because I really want to play with it :). Also I don't trust my ears the way you do yours, I have neither the time nor opportunity to train them with good references.. I need machines to help me lol
With only two channels, all you have to do is level match which your receiver/preamp should have a noise generator for and your cell phone can get a SPL application.

Above a few hundred hertz, you should not need any EQ other than basic tone controls. Dealing with bass frequencies is a whole other matter, but if there is only one subwoofer, just position it where it sounds best and be happy!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Use the machines and then when listening, try to place the vocalist in the sound-stage. Use the gains to center the vocalist. Ears are a terrible thing to waste. :)

J

jid

Audioholic Intern
I believe you guys, I used to have a system which IMO was quite decent, it was the first stereo of any quality I've ever owned and loved it, I found taming the lower freq insanely hard but did my best.

Then Audyssey came down to reasonable prices so I picked up an AVR at a steal of a price and let it do it's thing. Well I found out how lame my abilities to tune the speakers and the room really were, some of it was subtle and some of it not so much, I did later alter some things slightly but overall it was much better. Now if Audyssey is not so well regarded anymore, and it did so much better with the sound than I did fiddling with it for months then that should put things in perspective as to the mountain you guys are asking me to climb haha.

Of course after some years I got better at distinguishing good from bad and no longer thought flat was a thing to be fixed lol, however I've been apart from my boyhood love for some time now, I've fed my ears garbage for a while because of life events and circumstances and now I don't even remember what good sounds like anymore. Since hearing is adaptive I would not be able to do it by ear, with a Mic and EQ I probably could but if I'm spending on that and my time is limited and I'd just like to enjoy music I may as well get a cool new toy.

Now that is my lame life story in audio, I still don't know which of those miniDSP gizmos is best for my situation, but that is ok, after more reading I feel like I will do alright with the DDRC-22D regardless so I may as well.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I believe you guys, I used to have a system which IMO was quite decent, it was the first stereo of any quality I've ever owned and loved it, I found taming the lower freq insanely hard but did my best.

Then Audyssey came down to reasonable prices so I picked up an AVR at a steal of a price and let it do it's thing. Well I found out how lame my abilities to tune the speakers and the room really were, some of it was subtle and some of it not so much, I did later alter some things slightly but overall it was much better. Now if Audyssey is not so well regarded anymore, and it did so much better with the sound than I did fiddling with it for months then that should put things in perspective as to the mountain you guys are asking me to climb haha.

Of course after some years I got better at distinguishing good from bad and no longer thought flat was a thing to be fixed lol, however I've been apart from my boyhood love for some time now, I've fed my ears garbage for a while because of life events and circumstances and now I don't even remember what good sounds like anymore. Since hearing is adaptive I would not be able to do it by ear, with a Mic and EQ I probably could but if I'm spending on that and my time is limited and I'd just like to enjoy music I may as well get a cool new toy.

Now that is my lame life story in audio, I still don't know which of those miniDSP gizmos is best for my situation, but that is ok, after more reading I feel like I will do alright with the DDRC-22D regardless so I may as well.
Hey I've fallen for marketing too, bought a set of Bose, once!

It looks like mDSP options with Dirac are all several hundred's of dollars. Since we're talking 2 channel playback, I really think that money would be better spent on the speakers themselves.

A quality loudspeaker (well designed, not indicative of price) should have no need for EQ above a few hundred hertz, except for basic tone controls due to the variability of recordings. The physical positioning of the speakers is what really matters - Tweeters kept close to ear height and toed in to keep as many listener's as close to on-axis, as possible. Also consider the sound quality heard when the speakers are positioned X inches to the rear wall, and X feet apart from each other. Those physical changes will have a much larger impact on sound quality than DSP ever could!

With that said, what speakers and amps are you looking at?

J

jid

Audioholic Intern
I ended up buying Focal 706 speakers, pairing them with a Sunfire sds10 sub for 2.1 and the dealer that sold me the Focals had a Cambridge audio topaz am10 for cheap so I grabbed that, more than enough to drive the Focals I found. I also got the ddrc 24 from miniDSP.

I don't disagree with the notion that good speakers, placement and room are very important, but I have to disagree with the idea that DSP is useless or just marketing. I'm no authority on the subject though, I'm just very satisfied with my results, the ddrc-24 was especially helpful in integrating the sub for me.. it was a fun project and now I can just enjoy listening ;)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I ended up buying Focal 706 speakers, pairing them with a Sunfire sds10 sub for 2.1 and the dealer that sold me the Focals had a Cambridge audio topaz am10 for cheap so I grabbed that, more than enough to drive the Focals I found. I also got the ddrc 24 from miniDSP.

I don't disagree with the notion that good speakers, placement and room are very important, but I have to disagree with the idea that DSP is useless or just marketing. I'm no authority on the subject though, I'm just very satisfied with my results, the ddrc-24 was especially helpful in integrating the sub for me.. it was a fun project and now I can just enjoy listening ;)
I did not mean to convey the idea that DSP applied to speakers is 'pure marketing'. It is essential for tackling room modes in the bass region. But I would recommend, still, experimenting with your front speakers toe-in, and distance to the wall behind them as well as between them - with DSP off.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis