Need some bass... Suggestions?

C

Cuda444

Audiophyte
I'm in the market for a sub. I'd like to keep the budget at or below 500. The room is pictured below, with approx. speaker locations. Ceilings are 7ft. I don't need something that will blow me over the couch backwards, but I desperately need something that's going to make the movies come alive. As it stands now, my system is nothing special, in fact it's quite sad less the receiver (Yamaha RXV2500). I would like to have a sub before I begin upgrading speakers.

So far I've considered the Hsu STF-3 -- Its on sale and I've read great things about them on the forums. Is this my best option? Should I look elsewhere? Help me spend what little money I have left! :)

Here's the room layout:

Thanks in advance,
Tom

C

Cuda444

Audiophyte
I took out the space, and the page cannot be found. I'm assuming you were referring me to the Dayton 12" with the 500 watt amp? I do consider myself mechanically and technically inclined, so assembly wouldn't really be the issue. My issue is more the quality of the woofer and amp? The site leaves out a lot of the performance data, ie range (hz) etc.

How would this sub compare to say the SVS PB-10? The PB-10 can be had for the same price (give or take a few bucks) Anyone have experience with the STF-3, PB-10 and the Dayton? All three or a combination there of that can attest to which would be the better purchase?

Sorry for so many questions.

Respectfully,
Tom

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
most likely

The product I was refering to is the "DAYTON TITSK-12K 12" TITANIC MKIII" and, while I chave never compared the two side by side, I have heard nothing but excellent reports on this one.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have owned the VTF-2 and PB-10, and heard the VTF-3 MkII. My room was 19x20 with high vaulted ceilings and the VTF-2 struggled a little in max extension mode. The PB-10 never struggled one bit, but still wasn't quite enough (for me) in that size room. The PB-10 will go lower than the STF-3, but the STF-3 will most likely have more output. The STF-3 is a little smaller than the PB-10 also. The STF-3 will probably do the trick, but if you are looking for a LOT of bass, I think you will be upgrading. I'd actually recommend the VTF-3 HO for that room, but that is well beyond the price range of the STF-3 at the current price. Note too that square and nearly square rooms can be problematic for bass, so your issues may be compounded.

P

Peter Marcks

Banned
Dear Cuda,

I would recommend STF-3 for rooms up to around 4500 ft^3.

Definitely a square room is not ideal for reproducing bass. Also, it is best not to sit in the middle of the room, so if possible try to avoid that.

That said, you should be able to get satisfactory results. In the future, you could even try using the STF-3 in the front left corner to handle deep bass, with our mid-bass module placed nearfield to handle the mid/upper bass. For a $50 fee at any point in the future, if you wish we can modify the STF-3 amplifier to accomodate fixed extended bass mode (one port plugged) instead of maximum output mode, where you would have strong response in the 16-18Hz range while giving up some maximum output capability above 25Hz. Another alternative is simply ordering a port plug for $15 shipped, which will result in an overdamped response, but will give stronger output and response at 20Hz.

Sincerely,

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
I agree with markw. The Dayton Titanic sub woofer kits may be the best sub woofer buys out there. All things considered a 12" woofer is capable of moving more air than a 10". Moving air is what bass is all about.:cool:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Need some bass... Suggestions?
1.) Empty Moonshine bottle.
+
2.) Pair of lungs.

Whatever you use for bass, go nearfield for placement. That room leaves a lot to be desired.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
JoeE SP9 said:
All things considered a 12" woofer is capable of moving more air than a 10". Moving air is what bass is all about.:cool:
That is not always true :) Two comparably designed subs/drivers yes, but there are definitely some 10s out there that will displace as much air as many of the average 12" drivers. Many factors WRT a given sub's design affect what it is capable of too.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I, after not much thought, have decided that I will probably get one of the Titanics subs. I might even get the 15" who knows.:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Note too that PE just introduced another 15" sub kit for just $269 introductory price. Doesn't go low, but I'm sure it has a ton of output.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis