Need some advice...

G

greekone

Audiophyte
Over the last few years I have ended up with a mish mash of stereo equipment. I couldnt pass up what I though were good deals and now am looking for advice on piecing them together for HT use.
I have
Polk VM 30 towers (slim design necessary for WAF resulted in trading in the A7's)
Polk CSI A4 center
Polk RTI A1 bookshelf
Polk PSW10
Cambridge soundworks MC300
Cambridge soundworks souround 5.1 dipole/bipole
Yamaha rx v663 (used in HT)
Pioneer vsx 512s (used in basement)
Cambridge soundworks basecube 821

the room is 23x28 with cathedral ceiling going from 7ft to 11ft so there is a lot of area.
I know that the sub isnt cutting it and the surounds seem to either be off or on. I have them placed behind the listening area so that is also an issue. The TV is in the front left corner with the VM30s and the listening position is about 17 ft from the TV.
I am using the A1's in the kitchen for music and I think they sound great but wife wants to get something small, orbs? I am using my ipod, basecube 821 and MC300's in the weight room.
I want to set up the HT first and use the rest for whatever makes sense. Also I am looking at subwoofers to replace the polk. I love a good deal and am thinking of the BIC PL200 but just not sure if I am better off spending another $250 for SVS PC12-NSD or an HSU. I like the cylinder set up because they hide better in my room.
I know you guys have great advice from reading the threads here and am hoping for some of it.
thanks!

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Svs !

. . . room is 23x28 with cathedral ceiling going from 7ft to 11ft so there is a lot of area.
I know that the sub isnt cutting it . . . the listening position is about 17 ft from the TV.
In a room that large with a relatively high ceiling and thus large total volume, don't shirk getting a quality sub (maybe even two over the long-term).

. . . I am looking at subwoofers to replace the polk. I love a good deal and am thinking of the BIC PL200 but just not sure if I am better off spending another $250 for SVS PC12-NSD or an HSU. . . . thanks!
I like good deals as well, but IMHO the SVS is easily worth the extra cost in this case. To be fair, I have not heard the BIC, but I could not find much about it online (no reviews, no customer comments, etc.). I do not believe BIC has the excellent rep SVS does these days. More knowledgeable folks than me may have other ideas/opinions.

There is a ton of support/reviews/comments for the various SVS models and the one you are looking at will not disppoint. I have used a PB10-NSD in a smaller room (13' x 18') for over three years; it delivers superb performance, at reasonable cost, and my customer experience with SVS has been top-notch--highly recommend them! :)

XEagleDriver

G

greekone

Audiophyte
thanks for the info.
Does anyone out there have experience with the BIC? I see good reviews by owners, but not any prof reviews out there or side by sides.
Also, I am thinking of switching out the suround speakers for either the MC300 or RTiA1. I am going to experiment until i get a little better sound.

Any word out there on Orb's? or other options for small speakers for a large kitchen?

G

greekone

Audiophyte
Hi, yeah BIC America sells on ebay and amazon. Google them, the specs look good and the F12 with a 450 wat amp is just $176 on amazon. They have a fan base but tough to take a chance on something I can't hear first. With SVS they have the $ back trail period.
I moved the surounds up to the sides over the weekend and really improved the sound. I didn't think it would make so much difference but it really did. Problem is that they look terrible on the wall so I remove them when not watching a movie. That is the trouble with dual use rooms. This weekend I am going to try the MC300's as rear surounds to see what a 7.1 set up sounds like.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
BIC has a decent reputation in the Audio community. I'm sure someone around here owns them.

SVS is probably a bit more reliable though.

For small speakers look at the KEF series. Sometime you can get a lot of 5 2001.2s for insanely low prices on ebay.

not sure what your goals are here.

But subwise DoItYourself or SVS is the way to go.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
In a room that large with a relatively high ceiling and thus large total volume, don't shirk getting a quality sub (maybe even two over the long-term).

I like good deals as well, but IMHO the SVS is easily worth the extra cost in this case. To be fair, I have not heard the BIC, but I could not find much about it online (no reviews, no customer comments, etc.). I do not believe BIC has the excellent rep SVS does these days. More knowledgeable folks than me may have other ideas/opinions.

There is a ton of support/reviews/comments for the various SVS models and the one you are looking at will not disppoint. I have used a PB10-NSD in a smaller room (13' x 18') for over three years; it delivers superb performance, at reasonable cost, and my customer experience with SVS has been top-notch--highly recommend them! :)

XEagleDriver
I have never herd of BIC either, mybe they are talking about lighters:confused:
me either, never heard of them
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=990726

You guys are unbelievable.

BIC's have been discussed numerous times here.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3376279

They are very well known and well built according to reads I've had.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Check out Vann's for some good deals on Mirage speakers. Mirage makes some nice, small speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis