Need some advice please & Thank You

C

Coleyzzz

Audiophyte
I had a pair of cerwins in the 90's that I just fing loved...I like the old thump a thump....man if you cant feel the music in your entire body ....it just isn't right......plus I want the capability to watch TV/movies in the way one was intended.
I'm just beginning my collection of Cerwins....do you
recommend the
Cerwin-Vega XLS-28 Dual 3-Way Home Audio Floor Tower Speakers?

I currently own one Cerwin Vega SL45C Quad 5 Speaker for my center speaker and two Cerwin-Vega XLS-6 2-Way Home Audio Bookshelf Speakers for my S speakers...which I LOVE!

I am wanting to replace.... Two Old Fisher ST-515/St -515B 240 Watts used for my front speakers and Two Kenwood JL- 980AV 180 Watts used as my back SB speakers that I am powering with a Yamaha Reciever TSR-5790 7.1...hey I like Yammies....and trust me this receiver does the job.....

I like old school rock....pls give me your opinion...

TY in advance

Nicole

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I had a pair of cerwins in the 90's that I just fing loved...I like the old thump a thump....man if you cant feel the music in your entire body ....it just isn't right......plus I want the capability to watch TV/movies in the way one was intended.
I'm just beginning my collection of Cerwins....do you
recommend the
Cerwin-Vega XLS-28 Dual 3-Way Home Audio Floor Tower Speakers?

I currently own one Cerwin Vega SL45C Quad 5 Speaker for my center speaker and two Cerwin-Vega XLS-6 2-Way Home Audio Bookshelf Speakers for my S speakers...which I LOVE!

I am wanting to replace.... Two Old Fisher ST-515/St -515B 240 Watts used for my front speakers and Two Kenwood JL- 980AV 180 Watts used as my back SB speakers that I am powering with a Yamaha Reciever TSR-5790 7.1...hey I like Yammies....and trust me this receiver does the job.....

I like old school rock....pls give me your opinion...

TY in advance

Nicole
Wait, so, let me make sure I get this straight. Are you a fan of Cerwin Vega? Sounds like you and this guy would be friends. :) (Edit: Oh, I see you already found that thread. Great minds think alike.)

As for whether any of the regulars here can endorse the SL45C Quad 5 specifically, I suspect you won't get an enthusiastic "yes", simply because there's not a lot of measurement data to be found for them. That's not to say that those speakers aren't a perfect fit in your system, though.

We tend to give preference to speakers for which we've seen objective data -- response graphs, independent 3rd party testing, that sort of thing. But above all, the best advice we can offer is, you should give them an audition. If they pass, congratulations! If not, then get a refund and we can help you find a suitable alternative.

For movies and TV, you might be better off looking for a grown-up subwoofer, and deal with replacing the Fishers later. Do you have a subwoofer yet? You mentioned CV bookshelfs and center, Fisher towers, and Kenwood towers, but nothing about a sub.

Welcome to the forums, by the way. I hope you'll post an intro thread in the newbies forum, and maybe show off your gear with some photos.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My first thought was where's the sub? Do you already have the XLS28's? Or are considering them?

Can't really recommend them as I've not heard them. I had some Cerwin Vega speakers many years ago but haven't considered them again since then.

Also, your mentioning of the "wattage"....you know that's mostly a meaningless spec? What is advertised as "max wattage"...it's usually an indication more of its melting point, not what the speaker actually needs or even will sound good at such a level of power supplied....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis