Need some advice if I should upgrade

N

nick151

Audiophyte
I am using a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2010 which I think came out around 2012 along with a Emotiva XPA-5 amp. I am only running a 5.1 set up right now and I don't have a 4k tv. I seen a real good price(still not cheap though) on a Yamaha Aventage CX-A5100 which I have heard great things about. My question is with only running 5 channels and not using any 4k will I see that much difference in sound between my current set up and the 5100? I am probably 50% music listening and 50% movies and tv. My speakers are Definitive Technology mythos st up front, mythos 10 center channel, mythos ones in the rear and a SVS pb12-nsd sub. I have had this set up for a while and always get the itch to try to improve I am just not sure that's the way to go. Any thoughts from anyone would be great. Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am using a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2010 which I think came out around 2012 along with a Emotiva XPA-5 amp. I am only running a 5.1 set up right now and I don't have a 4k tv. I seen a real good price(still not cheap though) on a Yamaha Aventage CX-A5100 which I have heard great things about. My question is with only running 5 channels and not using any 4k will I see that much difference in sound between my current set up and the 5100? I am probably 50% music listening and 50% movies and tv. My speakers are Definitive Technology mythos st up front, mythos 10 center channel, mythos ones in the rear and a SVS pb12-nsd sub. I have had this set up for a while and always get the itch to try to improve I am just not sure that's the way to go. Any thoughts from anyone would be great. Thanks
Unless you are listening at loud volumes, I doubt there will be a significant difference. I wouldn't bother with that upgrade.

N

nick151

Audiophyte
Yeah thanks for the reply, I kind of was leaning towards not doing it, but its always a rabbit
hole of what is better and when should you upgrade. I guess when it stops working then move on. I just don't have the time or space to put a bunch of speakers everywhere and is it really that big of a difference? maybe depending on the size of the room.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe bank some savings in case you need to replace it down the road when you change TVs. I’m really happy with my RXA2060. I hope it lasts me as long as my RXV3300 did. :)

By the way, go listen to various speakers. There are vast differences in speakers. You might turn out to be a 70% music guy instead of a 50/50. :)

Good luck! :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Since you don't really need any newer features I'd keep the avr in use as a pre until you have something significant to gain....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis