Need receiver with switched outlet

S

Spectreal

Audiophyte
I'm having to upgrade my video system thus losing the last switched outlet in my system. This outlet was used to control my Panamax and turn everything else on and off including the subwoofer. Without a switched outlet, my subwoofer will wind up staying on all the time which is bound to reduce its lifespan.

I am looking for a new receiver that has a switched outlet into which I cal plug the control wire from the Panamax and turn everything on or off together. Hopefully under $500 and only needing 5.1 but 7.1 is nice.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm having to upgrade my video system thus losing the last switched outlet in my system. This outlet was used to control my Panamax and turn everything else on and off including the subwoofer. Without a switched outlet, my subwoofer will wind up staying on all the time which is bound to reduce its lifespan.

I am looking for a new receiver that has a switched outlet into which I cal plug the control wire from the Panamax and turn everything on or off together. Hopefully under $500 and only needing 5.1 but 7.1 is nice.
If you re talking about an AC outlet, you are wasting your time. You have to make use of the 12 volt trigger, and that means using a relay to do what you want.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Spectreal,

How bout this Denon AVR-2312CI + this Niles AC-3 triggered power strip?

The Denon is a 7.2 receiver with a 12v triggered out that can activate the Niles power strip. Total for both is about 500 bucks.

Last edited:
crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Is a AVR with a 12v trigger and option opposed to a switched outlet? Also Niles, russound and others make switched outlets if you can find a avr with what your looking for.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey Spectreal,

The Denon is a 7.2 receiver with a 12v triggered out that can activate the Niles power strip. Total for both is less than 500 bucks.
That Denon DVR is too far down the price range. Those cheap units from all manufacturers are inclined to blow within a year of the warranty expiring. They are not worth fixing and contribute to the toxic electronic junk pile. You need to go mid range in price at least, and preferably a little higher.

Yes, he needs a relay and that is what the Niles unit is. He can by a suitable relay, a lot cheaper and build his own.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
?

That Denon lists for $849. I wouldn't call that entry level. It's discontinued and a refurb, but that doesn't make it more likely to blow up. If it were an Onkyo I might be inclined to agree. In any case, if it does turn out to be a lemon, he should be able to find that out easily enough within the 1 year warranty period. The only thing a more expensive Denon would get him would be a higher grade of Audyssey (XT as opposed to MultiEQ).

S

Spectreal

Audiophyte
WOW, what a HUGE load of trouble and great expense to get around a problem that should have never been created in the first place. I can understand if manufacturers stopped putting the switched outlets on so they could sell you some other part just as Apple does but to simply remove something so useful makes no sense. Never heard of this 12v trigger thing but having to buy yet another outlet to connect to it for the sole purpose of connecting my Panamax control cable just makes this an even more expensive problem. Now i wonder if it is a problem at all to leave my sub turned on 24/7 because even if i go through 2 subs in a given amount of time it would likely cost lest than one new high end receiver and a triggered outlet.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Not really seeing the trouble you mention. What model panamax? 12v triggers are common, as their name implies a 12v signal triggers an operation. Don't make this over complicated. The reason you don't see switched outlets on receivers is because inevitably some one runs a piece of gear out of them that shouldn't be.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I think switched outlets are more common on dedicated amps than receivers these days. If you want a cheaper alternative, this Smart Strip senses when the device plugged into the primary jack is drawing power and will automatically switch on the auxiliary outlets. When the device plugged into the primary jack is in standby / low power, the other jacks are turned off.

Edit: Ah, ReUpRo beat me to it. Might as well add this:

If the receiver and the Panamax are in different parts of the room, you could use the 12v trigger out of a receiver to trigger this Powerflash interface to turn on this appliance module remotely. Not sure what shipping is, but that's probably still cheaper than the Niles relay-controlled power strip. Although it's lower cost, it adds a layer of complexity.

I'm using the Niles on my bass shaker amp and it works swell. If I ever get a sub with a defeatable auto-standby, I'll probably use it for that as well. I guess it just depends on whether you're more motivated by elegance and heavy duty reliability or a bargain.

I'm interested in the answer to crossedover's question as well. What model Panamax? Some of them already have a 3.5mm 12v trigger input. If yours does, then no triggered power strip, smart strip or other sort of additional relay outlet is needed. You might already have what you need.

Last edited:
S

Spectreal

Audiophyte
My panamax is an old Max1000 which has a trigger cable which one plugs into the switched outlet of the controlling device. That device used to be my old receiver and lately my cable tuner box but now with upgrading to a hd cable box i will lose my last switched outlet. If something like the smartstrip can detect when the receiver is no longer drawing current and will switch off power to the rest of the strip, then that can control the panamax.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
The Denon is a 7.2 receiver with a 12v triggered out that can activate the Niles power strip. Total for both is about 500 bucks.
WOW, what a HUGE load of trouble and great expense to get around a problem that should have never been created in the first place. I can understand if manufacturers stopped putting the switched outlets on so they could sell you some other part just as Apple does but to simply remove something so useful makes no sense. Never heard of this 12v trigger thing but having to buy yet another outlet to connect to it for the sole purpose of connecting my Panamax control cable just makes this an even more expensive problem. Now i wonder if it is a problem at all to leave my sub turned on 24/7 because even if i go through 2 subs in a given amount of time it would likely cost lest than one new high end receiver and a triggered outlet.
Rein it in a little their pardner. You asked a question and Rojo not only answered your question, but found you a NICE receiver for the price you requested. People are extending their hand to you. Why are you baring your teeth?

S

Spectreal

Audiophyte
Rein it in a little their pardner. You asked a question and Rojo not only answered your question, but found you a NICE receiver for the price you requested. People are extending their hand to you. Why are you baring your teeth?
Well, while I do appreciate any info and effort people have contributed to my query, that receiver is a several years old factory refurb at that price point. Not exactly what I would prefer to choose right off the bat but it does give something to consider.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You can get a power strip with switched outlets. Something like this,

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Protector-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B0006PUDQK [/URL]
That's the first thing that I thought of when I read the original post this morning, but I was on my way to work and didn't have time to post. Thanks for linking that! Inexpensive and effective. That model has a knob to adjust the trigger level because different devices have different power draws in standby mode.

S

Spectreal

Audiophyte
OK, so I ordered one of the smart strips and hopefully can get it adjusted to do what I need. IF so it will certainly be a lot lest costly than a new stereo.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis