Need quality sounding book shelf speakers for my gym

R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
Guys and gals I could really kick myself , as I sold my Paradigm Studio 40's years ago and now I'm in need of a mid size speaker.
I have been using paradigm for years . I have the latest Studio 100's in my living room . All four being 100's , front and rear .
I was actually in disbelief when I heard they discontinued that line and replaced them with those ugly Prestige series ?

So anyways , I'm open to other brands . Here's the circumstance I have . I want to install enclosures on both sides of the mirror to house speakers , so preferably I would like the port firing from the front as I don't like the idea of it firing onto the back of a cabinet .
Btw not the mirror in the left of the pic , but the mirror on the right side with the dumb bell rack under it .

I have a paradigm 10" subwoofer to use also , the PW2100 I think it's called ?
I have a Cambridge amp , 80 watts a side to run things . Ideally I don't want to exceed 28"s in height as I want the openings in the wall to look promotional to the mirror .
Kinda sucks as our local dealer has one last set of Studio 100's , and they have a blemish towards the rear so there selling out at $2500 for the pair .
If they were black instead of rosewood I'd buy them . I don't really want to go with that tall a hole in the walls though ideally anyways , but it's very tempting.
I just would like to get some kick @ss sounding music down there to motivate me . It's a fairly large room , 13' by 50, but I'll be sitting fairly close to the speakers for the most part

Our local dealer sells Klipse , but he wanted to get me to look at Soundcradt in wall speakers

Attachments

Last edited:
J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
The Klipsch RP-160m's are rear ported. I suggest you find a pair of RB-81ii's, which include the 1" Ti dome compression driver/horn and a front-ported 8" LF driver. It has an SPL of 97dB @ 1W & 1 meter, a Pmax of 150W RMS, is bi-wire/bi-amp capable, and it's freq response is 44Hz - 24 kHz @ +/-3dB. It's big, ~20" tall, and weighs ~28 lbs. Mine are keepers. I use them for music-only - an Onkyo C7030 driving an Emotiva mini-x A-100 (50 Wpc) which feeds the speakers via 10ft lengths of #14 Cu zip cord the room is 11' x 12' x 9' and they produce a C-weighted sound level at my listening position of 88 dB - pretty loud - while occasionally hitting peaks of 10V RMS (12.5W at 8 Ohms). These are the best bookshelf speakers that I have heard, much less owned. Sadly, they were dropped a year or so back, so they are hard to find. One Amazon vendor still has them at $349/ea. Warning - they have the typical Klipsch 'horn' sound - which I like - but some folks don't. I'll hopefully hit 68 this summer, and have a hearing deficit from 3-4 kHz and a roll-off above 10 kHz. My wife, who is a bit younger and has perfect hearing, said the speakers sound great, ie, not overly 'bright', despite my choice of music!

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
ELAC speakers by Andrew Jones.. They're only around $269.. When Jones was auditioning these at T.H.E Show Newport last year people were blown away.. When he told people they were to be sold at $269, people thought that he meant $2,069.00.. Everyone was flipping out when he told them he meant hundreds.. That's how great they sound.. Plenty of reviews on line now..

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Where is the Squat Rack?:D Seriously would love to see more pics of the gym it looks nice.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis