Need more Bass? Use "Extra Bass" feature in your AV Receiver.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
OK, seems everyone has an idea about how it ought to be. I though I knew how to do it too; but, I've gotta tell ya, I downloaded a dance tune the other day which has caused me to rethink everything. It delivers the lowest bass in spades and from experimentation with my bass settings I now, or for time being, have a bass setting which seems "just right". I provide this info for any here who might want to use such a download to tweak their own sub. Deep bass begins just a few seconds in.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The problem is that every movie and song is different. The best thing is to be able to easily reduce or increase the bass (just like the center dialogue) as needed.

On my Yamaha remote app (phone and iPad),there is a quick increase or decrease volume for the bass (and center dialogue). I don't have to go into any menu settings for this quick adjustment. Easy and quick bass adjustment.

Subwoofer Trim (and Dialogue Level) on Yamaha Remote App on phone:

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

The problem is that every movie and song is different. The best thing is to be able to easily reduce or increase the bass (just like the center dialogue) as needed.

On my Yamaha remote app (phone and iPad),there is a quick increase or decrease volume for the bass (and center dialogue). I don't have to go into any menu settings for this quick adjustment. Easy and quick bass adjustment.

I wish I had that feature. I can adjust center from remote but not the sub. I either need to take gain up or down from power amp or get into pre/pros level menu. If I am playing from OPPO to multi-channel out I need to get into OPPOs sub menu-hard to find and interestingly enough if there is a disc in the OPPOs tray I can not listen to the adjustment test tone.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

Ya I thought Denon had all of this too. Does it? I have 3 Yamahas: A2060 A770 V681. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
OK, seems everyone has an idea about how it ought to be. I though I knew how to do it too; but, I've gotta tell ya, I downloaded a dance tune the other day which has caused me to rethink everything. It delivers the lowest bass in spades and from experimentation with my bass settings I now, or for time being, have a bass setting which seems "just right". I provide this info for any here who might want to use such a download to tweak their own sub. Deep bass begins just a few seconds in.
Sorry but I have to say, I kept waiting for the deep stuff to hit. It seems like this is sitting around 40hz. @shadyJ can you check this if you get time?

My personal way is not so much “season to taste”, but rather just run about 3-5db hot and leave it there. That way, no matter the content, I can appreciate how it was created( my house curve notwithstanding). And normally if I need more, I’ll just turn on DEQ.

S

sterling shoote

Sorry but I have to say, I kept waiting for the deep stuff to hit. It seems like this is sitting around 40hz. @shadyJ can you check this if you get time?

My personal way is not so much “season to taste”, but rather just run about 3-5db hot and leave it there. That way, no matter the content, I can appreciate how it was created( my house curve notwithstanding). And normally if I need more, I’ll just turn on DEQ.
Hey, here's another one.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

I do not know if it hits 20 Hz, just know it's one of the lowest downloads I've ever heard, maybe with one exception, Kayne West's Love Lockdown.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I do not know if it hits 20 Hz, just know it's one of the lowest downloads I've ever heard, maybe with one exception, Kayne West's Love Lockdown.
Well....I tried the Kanye tune, and I’m guessing that only goes down to about 38hz.
If you want some really powerful bass music, you might try the https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/subwoofer-candy.97152/ subwoofer candy thread. The best part is that it has the graphs to show how deep they really are. You might be surprised to find that the “deep” stuff is really only in the shallow end of the pool. Lol @pogre(hey ol buddy!) found this out too. Once he started graphing stuff, he saw that depths he thought he was hitting, really weren’t. However then the challenges started. Lol

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ya I thought Denon had all of this too. Does it? I have 3 Yamahas: A2060 A770 V681. :)
Yeah, but the Denon remote app only works about 20% of the time for me. :D

On the Denon (when it decides to work), you have to adjust 2 Subwoofer Levels if you set it up for dual subs.

On the Yamaha, even when set up for dual subs, you only have to adjust ONE Subwoofer level which controls both subs).

Bottom line, the remote app on the Yamaha is 100% better. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wish I had that feature. I can adjust center from remote but not the sub. I either need to take gain up or down from power amp or get into pre/pros level menu. If I am playing from OPPO to multi-channel out I need to get into OPPOs sub menu-hard to find and interestingly enough if there is a disc in the OPPOs tray I can not listen to the adjustment test tone.
The quick Subwoofer Level adjust feature on the remote app (that actually works 100% of the time :D) is great for sure.

I use these 2 handy features (Sub and Dialogue Levels) all the time.

It’s ridiculous how all these movies, TV shows, and music are done with extremely different sub and dialogue levels.

It would such a pain to have to go into the Menu and Sub-Menu and Sub-Sub-Menu :D all the time to adjust both of these levels.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Guarantee the Kanye tune is nowhere near 20hz. 37 I think.
This one goes below 30. I found it in the candy thread. Song is kinda weird but the bass is there.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Last one. I proooomise!!!!!
I mean, bass is in the thread title. Right?!

S

sterling shoote

Hey, I'm excited about your suggestions. Can't do it tonight. I need to do it after my wife leaves the house tomorrow. She does not share my interest in this sort of stuff. It perturbs her. You don't want to be around when she is perturbed.

S

sterling shoote

Listening now, it's blowing cobwebs out of my JBL-B380.
Guarantee the Kanye tune is nowhere near 20hz. 37 I think.
This one goes below 30. I found it in the candy thread. Song is kinda weird but the bass is there.
My JBL-B380 was real smooth on this, perhaps because it did not tax it.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Well I will say that was much better than the other two I tried. If the the link works try this one. Certainly not the deepest, but definitely good.
Could not shuffle dance to it, maybe why I like "Body Move", bass you can dance to.:D

S

sterling shoote

I had forgotten the specs for my sub: 70-24 Hz down 6db at 24 which works well for 25 to 50 Hz bass. Might be why Badklaat-Decoy produced a pulsating detached bass sound since it was missing lowest octave when playing at about an 80db level. Sub is 90db efficient 1 watt at 1meter

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, I'm excited about your suggestions. Can't do it tonight. I need to do it after my wife leaves the house tomorrow. She does not share my interest in this sort of stuff. It perturbs her. You don't want to be around when she is perturbed.
Hope you had fun with these. I wanted to pick better samples but that night happened to be cooking supper. I hate when a thread gets away from me and I can’t keep up so sometimes I just throw stuff in there lol.
Listening now, it's blowing cobwebs out of my JBL-B380.
These are definitely good for that!
My JBL-B380 was real smooth on this, perhaps because it did not tax it.
Very likely.

Could not shuffle dance to it, maybe why I like "Body Move", bass you can dance to.:D
Definitely has a weird vibe, and to me lots of the bass candy thread isn’t danceable, lol, but there are definitely some fun tracks that can allow your subs to stretch their legs.
I had forgotten the specs for my sub: 70-24 Hz down 6db at 24 which works well for 25 to 50 Hz bass. Might be why Badklaat-Decoy produced a pulsating detached bass sound since it was missing lowest octave when playing at about an 80db level. Sub is 90db efficient 1 watt at 1meter
Good observation. In my car I’ve encountered the detached/disconnected sound as it doesn’t have a subwoofer. Even when testing in direct mode just to have some fun with my mains that are capable into the mid-low 30’s, music like this comes alive when the subs come in. -6db at 24 is pretty good for a lot of music, but a lot of these songs carry much more weight than those specs can support. There’s a video posted in the “opening the ls 50s thread that’s pretty cool. According to our resident dr TLSguy, it goes all the way down to 20hz, and has a lot of bass texture. Try it out, it’s pretty good.

S

sterling shoote

Hope you had fun with these. I wanted to pick better samples but that night happened to be cooking supper. I hate when a thread gets away from me and I can’t keep up so sometimes I just throw stuff in there lol.

Very likely.

Definitely has a weird vibe, and to me lots of the bass candy thread isn’t danceable, lol, but there are definitely some fun tracks that can allow your subs to stretch their legs.

Good observation. In my car I’ve encountered the detached/disconnected sound as it doesn’t have a subwoofer. Even when testing in direct mode just to have some fun with my mains that are capable into the mid-low 30’s, music like this comes alive when the subs come in. -6db at 24 is pretty good for a lot of music, but a lot of these songs carry much more weight than those specs can support. There’s a video posted in the “opening the ls 50s thread that’s pretty cool. According to our resident dr TLSguy, it goes all the way down to 20hz, and has a lot of bass texture. Try it out, it’s pretty good.
Listening to your submissions also makes me think some of my detached impressions might be because my sub's amp, a Sony TA-N80ES operating in bridged mode for about 560 watts, may have caps which have deteriorated. After all it's about 30 years old and has never been serviced.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis