• Thread starter CarnageCreations
  • Start date
C

CarnageCreations

Audiophyte
Recently got a Onkyo Tx Sr 373 from bestbuy. It was an out of box item used for display so it was marked down.

Have had the unit for about 6 months everything seemed to be going ok until moving the unit to a different room. Both rooms are about 500 Sqft just shaped a little different.

Setup is

Onkyo Tx SR-373
Klipsch KB-15 x2
Klipsch KC-25
Klipsch K100SW x2

After moving the unit fired up the system everything was going good for maybe 5 minutes then the unit powered off and would not power on at all. Tried leaving it unplugged for a few days with no change. Used a multimeter which shows power coming in to the standby board, the fuse tested fine, but no power seems to be getting to the transformer. Im sure I screwed the pooch some where on this.
any help would be great please don't be too hard on me this is my first attempt at this, if anyother information is needed just let me know.

Pablo2k

Pablo2k

Audioholic
Sometimes when you move things, dust moves inside and it might cause an arc.
I would just unplug it, remove the cover, and blow some air can on it.
Check for any fuses.
And just for kicks, try plugging it somewhere else.

C

CarnageCreations

Audiophyte
Check for any fuses.

all of this was done with the initial trouble shooting.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Hold down the cab/sat button then press the power button to reset the unit.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't buy Onkyo next time around. I think I've cooked 2 of their older rec'rs.

You checked to make sure there were no shorts in the speaker wires? Look close. My eyes make me require a magnifying glass.

C

CarnageCreations

Audiophyte
Don't buy Onkyo next time around. I think I've cooked 2 of their older rec'rs.

You checked to make sure there were no shorts in the speaker wires? Look close. My eyes make me require a magnifying glass.
its possible since I did have to run a new length of wire for one of the speakers. however no wires are connected to it at the moment. guess ill just look into getting a new receiver. anyone got any suggestions on a good one that will pair well with the speaker I have.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
anyone got any suggestions on a good one that will pair well with the speaker I have.
That's all anybody ever talks about around here but budget is always the key. Black Friday is coming up if you can wait.

I'm using older used gear so current gear suggestions should come from elsewhere.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Recently got a Onkyo Tx Sr 373 from bestbuy. It was an out of box item used for display so it was marked down.

Have had the unit for about 6 months everything seemed to be going ok until moving the unit to a different room. Both rooms are about 500 Sqft just shaped a little different.

Setup is

Onkyo Tx SR-373
Klipsch KB-15 x2
Klipsch KC-25
Klipsch K100SW x2

After moving the unit fired up the system everything was going good for maybe 5 minutes then the unit powered off and would not power on at all. Tried leaving it unplugged for a few days with no change. Used a multimeter which shows power coming in to the standby board, the fuse tested fine, but no power seems to be getting to the transformer. Im sure I screwed the pooch some where on this.
any help would be great please don't be too hard on me this is my first attempt at this, if anyother information is needed just let me know.
May be not time to give up. It sounds like the standby/starter board has failed. See if you can get another and install it.

Encompass has parts for multiple brands.

You have been given correct advice about avoiding Onkyo Its Onkyblow.

Same really applies to bottom end of the market receivers in general. They are far too complex now to be made at a low price point.

One last point check that that the outlet you had it connected to is wired correctly. If the live and neutral are reversed it can blow these type of circuits. You don't want to blow another, so make sure you check this.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Did you check with best buy to see if it had any type of warranty at all?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Welcome top AH. :)

You should have standard warranty from Onkyo. You are the original owner of that unit. Call them.

ps. we can help but "lots of help" may cost extra. ;) :D

C

CarnageCreations

Audiophyte
Welcome top AH. :)

You should have standard warranty from Onkyo. You are the original owner of that unit. Call them.

ps. we can help but "lots of help" may cost extra. ;):D

from what I could gather off a few searches regarding onkyo and the warranty is I would have to pay to have It shipped to an authorized onkyo repair which the nearest authorized repair I could find was in NY.

was able to find the part at avsystemparts.com and wouldn't you know it the part is out of stock . I don't think I have the receipt from best buy and does it being out of box already affect the warranty.

Got to say that I am really enjoying this site. I posted on here expecting to take several days to get a response, however that was not the case.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Being out of box should not affect the warranty but best to call Onkyo directly and see if they at least pay the return trip. Did you register the product when you bought it?.
Call BestBuy to see if they can give you a copy of the receipt. You should always keep such receipts on products. Get a binder to file it. May also want to scan it as the receipt tends to fade over time.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

from what I could gather off a few searches regarding onkyo and the warranty is I would have to pay to have It shipped to an authorized onkyo repair which the nearest authorized repair I could find was in NY.

was able to find the part at avsystemparts.com and wouldn't you know it the part is out of stock . I don't think I have the receipt from best buy and does it being out of box already affect the warranty.

Got to say that I am really enjoying this site. I posted on here expecting to take several days to get a response, however that was not the case.
If the part is already out of stock for a unit that new, it generally means the failure of that part is common and widespread. It is an indication we are on the right lines.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Did you manage to find the par number of that board? It seems you have a lot of company with this problem and not just your model. Seems this is a well known problem that Onkyo receivers are now known for.

I don't know how good your chops are, but I would disconnect the start up board, and see if it fires up with the primary of the power transformer connected to the AC supply directly. If it fired up, I would seriously consider just mounting an old fashioned on off switch. The only problem is you would loose standby power.

C

CarnageCreations

Audiophyte
Did you manage to find the par number of that board? It seems you have a lot of company with this problem and not just your model. Seems this is a well known problem that Onkyo receivers are now known for.
I did get the part number off the board it self. It looks like it was a part used from the previous model and also has a corresponding Pioneer model listed. so im guessing the part was produced after the merger. The board used is from the onkyo Tx-SR 252 / Pioneer VSX-330. I contacted avsystemparts.com and they directed me to a part that is in stock but its for pioneer VSX-821-K.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Check for any fuses.
Is that so that the build up of dust can curse the electrical signal to arc in small way I guess I didn't think that was possible. May explain why some of other players had PSU fail, maybe?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If any way to return to a Best Buy, do it. They hate it when an expensive item is returned and if you talk to a manager they will usually realize that they need to make it right or lose a customer. In your case getting your money back or store credit or another AVR that is the same or similar.

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
I would think shipping for Warranty repair would be no more expensive than buying part. Additionally, you keep warranty and you are confident it is fixed (replacement part may not be issue).
I recently had lightning take out my 12 month old Yamaha TSR-6750. Yamaha sent me a shipping box with pre paid postage. It was repaired and returned after sometime. Warranty is something you should be leveraging.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I would think shipping for Warranty repair would be no more expensive than buying part. Additionally, you keep warranty and you are confident it is fixed (replacement part may not be issue).
I recently had lightning take out my 12 month old Yamaha TSR-6750. Yamaha sent me a shipping box with pre paid postage. It was repaired and returned after sometime. Warranty is something you should be leveraging.
Under these circumstances I doubt he get warranty. Even if he did the replaced board will be the same piece of junk as the one that failed. So he would have to expect the same problem again.

It is s pretty easy matter to determine whether that board has failed. So the best thing to do is build a better board. Something like this MOS FET latching circuit to drive a relay. You would have to add rectification with a bridge rectifier so it was driven by DC. Something along those lines would be very reliable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis