Need HTPC 5.1 help, hardware setup recommendations:

F

Fenny

Audiophyte
Ok, so am doing some renos in the basement and have essentially torn the place down to the framing...before drywalling it all I figured I'd run some in-wall sound cables to clean up the place for a 5.1 setup (small basement 18x12 feet).

What are my options? I'm being told I should go with an amp and run the speakers off that, easy breezy...however, the whole idea of going with a HTPC was to have just one box, get rid of the DVD, cable box, amp etc...so I'd like to avoid the amp if possible (atleast for now as it's not in budget). The only other HTPC option I've been told is a standard 5.1 computer speakers set up (which I happen to have a spare of) that runs to the sub and then to the comp. Low quality but I avoid the amp that way.

Now I need advise, I've picked up 16awg speaker wires to run to the four corners of the room for the 5.1 setup and now I'm just wondering if I should splice in the computer speakers for now and later go with a decent set of speakers and amp, maybe troll the classifieds and wait for a good used one to come up.

So to sum up:

1) Is the 16awg speaker wire the appropriate stuff to be running through the walls for a future 5.1 surround sound system, amp+speakers? (Nothing crazy, just a decent system)

2) Will a standard 5.1 computer speaker set up, spliced into the corners work with the 16awg? Something like this:http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120

3) Does this all make sense or have I been fed a load.

I

iso9001

Audioholic Intern
1) Is the 16awg speaker wire the appropriate stuff to be running through the walls for a future 5.1 surround sound system, amp+speakers? (Nothing crazy, just a decent system)

2) Will a standard 5.1 computer speaker set up, spliced into the corners work with the 16awg? Something like this:http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120

3) Does this all make sense or have I been fed a load.
I just finished a similar project. I did 7.1 because I wanted to expand at some point. I recommend that.

1. 16 will be fine. 14 would be a cheap upgrade if you go through someplace like Monoprice. If you can run them reasonably direct then 16 should work, if you start to see 50' runs, then 14 might not be a terrible idea. However, you'll probably end up with smaller guage at the wall port. Don't get caught up in wire thickness or brand.

2. I don't really like computer 5.1 systems. They seem to appeal to kids and games, which ususally to me seems like too much bass. However, it would help with keeping fewer boxes.

3. It's all about right-ish. It was important for me to have a full on receiver for how much stuff I have but it might be overkill for someone else. You seem to have a little more requirements definition to do.

F

Fenny

Audiophyte
Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah, it's a small basement so the longest run will probably be around 30 feet, the rest will be under 20. I've sort of accepted that eventually I'll go with a decent amp and speaker setup, but right now it's out of budget so am thinking I'll splice in the old set of computer speakers to get me by for a year or so. All the $$$ is going into the basement renos.

As for requirements the room is mostly used for movies, tv (both run through the computer), and wii....some minor amounts of computer gaming but that's definitely not a priority. Even movies will be moving more to the bedroom now that we've got a tv up there, that'll be my next wiring project once this one is done. We're not big sound people, to be honest, for the past 3 years we've been using the built in speakers on the plasma (shock!!!). So really anything will be an improvement for now.

So does that sound reasonable? I picked up some 16awg from the local audio place (usually I'd buy from monoprice but we want to wire today so am out of time). Should splicing in the old computer cables work for now? In theory atleast? Just wondering if that's worth giving a shot until I save up the $$$ for a decent amp+speaker setup.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The HTPC can replace a pre-pro and DVD players, but it can't replace the amps. You still need some kind of amps to drive the speakers - unless your speakers are powered (built-in amps) like the small PC speakers you mentioned or some very expensive speakers.

And I think the 16-guage wires are okay, but usually not recommended for in-walls. I think I would prefer something bigger.

F

Fenny

Audiophyte
Awesome, thanks for the info, I've already bit the bullet on the remodeling with 16awg but next time I think I'll shoot for something like this for in-wall installations?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2817&seq=1&format=2

The runs for this basement are short and the demand won't be high so although the 16 isn't the best option it should work for this application I'm guessing. My next house, with a proper home theater room will be better. I'll be posting back soon, once I start shopping for an amp and speakers.

Thanks again,

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Depends on the kind of power you're running through them in general. The terminals on the Z-5500 speakers barely fit 16g, nevermind 12g for those unless you want to terminate them with banana plugs. I ran Radio Crap 16g normal wire through power cables and ambient noise sources when I had the Z-5500s and they performed the same as with 12g on bananas. It was a waste of green.

Monoprice 16g in-wall wire FTW. You're good to go. Although I wouldn't use that system...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis