Fuzzy Knuckle

Fuzzy Knuckle

Enthusiast
Hello all so I’ve been into Home theater for 20 years I just replaced my Yamaha RXV 2200 with a good used Yamaha RXV 681 I have all Mirage Omni speakers Omni 260 floor, Omni FX surround and Omni CCB-1 center channel,
I’ve had the speakers 16-17 years I’ve been happy with them, So I need help I’ve been having this upgrade itch I’m looking at Klipsch premier speakers just want to know if I will notice a big difference I watch a lot of movies more then music any help would be Appreciate it..

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Do you have a subwoofer with your system?

I’m not familiar with Mirage but Klipsch is easy to find and audition before buying. Also it was mentioned recently that they aren’t packed well if you ship them so probably something you want to pick up at the store.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think mirage made ok speakers. The thing is they were “omnipolar” and cast out kind of a wall of sound. This is fine, but imo too diffused and not very focused. Imaging was not clear.
If you want to do klipsch. Like snake said they’re easy to find. I would recommend the RP series and if you don’t have a subwoofer, well I’d almost put that first. Do not buy a klipsch sub however.
How big is the space, and budget?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, hard to know how you'd feel about a speaker range, that's a pretty subjective thing. I agree with William in that regard. Are you where you can go listen to speakers much? Or way out in the boonies like me where that's not much of an option without a long road trip?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Omni polar sounds like bipolar. That’s the old way of doing theater. I used that for many years and it was a wall of sound and reflection of sounds everywhere. That worked for the older formats but now they are “placing” objects in the room with Atmos/DSU & DTSX/NeuralX, so monopole speakers are back and surrounds are lowered to ear height with the addition of ceiling speakers.

I wouldn’t build a system without a decent sub (unless trapped in an apartment where I couldn’t use it). :)

Like was mentioned, only you can decide what sounds best.

Fuzzy Knuckle

Fuzzy Knuckle

Enthusiast
I think mirage made ok speakers. The thing is they were “omnipolar” and cast out kind of a wall of sound. This is fine, but imo too diffused and not very focused. Imaging was not clear.
If you want to do klipsch. Like snake said they’re easy to find. I would recommend the RP series and if you don’t have a subwoofer, well I’d almost put that first. Do not buy a klipsch sub however.
How big is the space, and budget?
Sorry I forgot to mention I have a Earthquake SuperNova MKV-12 overdrive I bought it new in September of 2004, room size 20’ long 15’ wide on side open to another room divided with a knee wall

Fuzzy Knuckle

Fuzzy Knuckle

Enthusiast
Yep, hard to know how you'd feel about a speaker range, that's a pretty subjective thing. I agree with William in that regard. Are you where you can go listen to speakers much? Or way out in the boonies like me where that's not much of an option without a long road trip?
Yeah they have a store called Gramophone about 20 miles from me high end store.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Hello all so I’ve been into Home theater for 20 years I just replaced my Yamaha RXV 2200 with a good used Yamaha RXV 681 I have all Mirage Omni speakers Omni 260 floor, Omni FX surround and Omni CCB-1 center channel,
I’ve had the speakers 16-17 years I’ve been happy with them, So I need help I’ve been having this upgrade itch I’m looking at Klipsch premier speakers just want to know if I will notice a big difference I watch a lot of movies more then music any help would be Appreciate it..
You will need to get a pair of speakers in your room for testing -- you should notice a difference as far as the radiation pattern ... Mirage Omni-polar tends to be lacking as far as a precise central image ... the question is to find out if something like Klipsch RP is good enough for you

JBL has free return shipping -- I would think about trying out a pair of the Studio 580 speakers ... on sale and sold each

Fuzzy Knuckle

Fuzzy Knuckle

Enthusiast
Omni polar sounds like bipolar. That’s the old way of doing theater. I used that for many years and it was a wall of sound and reflection of sounds everywhere. That worked for the older formats but now they are “placing” objects in the room with Atmos/DSU & DTSX/NeuralX, so monopole speakers are back and surrounds are lowered to ear height with the addition of ceiling speakers.

I wouldn’t build a system without a decent sub (unless trapped in an apartment where I couldn’t use it). :)

Like was mentioned, only you can decide what sounds best.
Sorry I forgot to mention I have a Earthquake SuperNova MKV-12 bout new in 2004

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So someone will probably ask you your budget so we aren’t making suggestions outside of your budget. :)

BMXTRIIXX

BMXTRIIXX

Audiophyte
For 1500 you will be happy with the klipsch and they will sound better than your current omni setup.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah they have a store called Gramophone about 20 miles from me high end store.
In the Maryland area I see a retailer/installer by that name, seems to carry a wide range of speaker brands....20 miles is nothing! Nearest store like that to me is 2-3 hours each way and if traffic is bad even worse....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry I forgot to mention I have a Earthquake SuperNova MKV-12 bout new in 2004
Having never heard of SuperNova MKV subs before, I Googled yours and that thing looks legit. If it still works like it should I'd say you're one of the few who come here that shouldn't immediately upgrade their subwoofer. That's awesome, lol. How do you like it? It looks pretty good on paper.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I think the Infinity reference is on sale again. At least they were last night.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
You should probably go listen to a bunch of speakers at that store then tell us which ones sound best to you. It won’t be the same as auditioning in your own home though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis