M

Mustang1993

Audiophyte
Hello I just signed up and I'm looking for information on how to get 7.1 audio from my PC over to my Yamaha RX-V577 receiver. Currently I'm just running optical to the receiver at 5.1 and HDMI directly to my monitor.

Method #1) HDMI to receiver input then receiver output to Monitor. Works but only at 1920 x 1080 resolution even though my monitor's native resolution is 2560 x 1600 @60 Hz.

Method #2) HDMI to receiver and separate HDMI to Monitor. Works but I get an extra display that you can't see that shows up in Video settings. Only option with this is to extend monitor to it but every once in a while the mouse disappears off the screen into an area you can't even see. It also wastes an output on your video card just to get 7.1 audio to the receiver.

Method #3) Override EDID settings in Windows which from what I've read so far is somewhat difficult. There
is no guarantee this method would work with the Yamaha receiver either.

Method #4) HDMI output to HDMI splitter with EDID control. HDMI splitter output 1 to receiver and HDMI splitter output 2 to receiver. With this method I'm looking for help on getting a good quality HDMI splitter which makes my computer think that a device with 7.1 audio and 2560 x 1600 @60 Hz video settings is connected to my video card.

Method #?) Any other possibilities, ideas or links to other threads that have dealt with this issue.

Thanks in advance

M

Mustang1993

Audiophyte
So I received a reply from Yamaha support. They said they don'the support computer resolutions. How lame is thar ? How come no response here ? Don't have an answer, Don't know the answer or ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As to your resolution thing, looked in your avr manual, didn't see anything particularly helpful, but the Yamaha support answer makes sense. Why would an avr support 2560x1600 format I don't know, it's not a tv/movie resolution. Probably defaults to the highest resolution supported by this group of gear would be my guess. I rarely try to hook up my tv to the pc via avr (but do so via hdmi), but I get the max resolution of my tv, even tho my laptop monitor maxes out at 1600x900 it seems my video card supports 1920x1080 in any case...

M

Mustang1993

Audiophyte
Thank's for the response. I was hoping maybe Yamaha would offer some help with HDMI splitters but they didn't even offer anything at all which is pretty lame. They also didn't respond to my question as to why 4k doesn't work either. Would suck large if the receiver down scaled 4k to 1080p when they advertise the receiver as supporting 4k everywhere.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank's for the response. I was hoping maybe Yamaha would offer some help with HDMI splitters but they didn't even offer anything at all which is pretty lame. They also didn't respond to my question as to why 4k doesn't work either. Would suck large if the receiver down scaled 4k to 1080p when they advertise the receiver as supporting 4k everywhere.
I don't see why Yamaha would need to do that for supporting a computer monitor's resolution that's got nothing to do with any av standards, let alone training customer service people for that.

You didn't mention 4k before, can you elaborate on that aspect?

M

Mustang1993

Audiophyte
So I should tell everyone building an HTPC system to avoid Yamaha because they don't support PC stuff ?

The RX-V577 is supposed to support 4k but that isn't working either. In windows it doesn't show up as an option at all. As I don't have a 4k display yet I'm curious if I plug one in will 4k show up in Windows. I checked the EDID coming from the yamaha on my computer and there is no mention of anything higher than 1080p. My video card supports 4096x2160 which is more pixels than 4k UHD. I'll be really disappointed if the 4k pass through only works if you have to send the 4k signal first. Which is why I researched overriding EDID already. Was hoping for a response from someone that has used a splitter already.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So I should tell everyone building an HTPC system to avoid Yamaha because they don't support PC stuff ?

The RX-V577 is supposed to support 4k but that isn't working either. In windows it doesn't show up as an option at all. As I don't have a 4k display yet I'm curious if I plug one in will 4k show up in Windows. I checked the EDID coming from the yamaha on my computer and there is no mention of anything higher than 1080p. My video card supports 4096x2160 which is more pixels than 4k UHD. I'll be really disappointed if the 4k pass through only works if you have to send the 4k signal first. Which is why I researched overriding EDID already. Was hoping for a response from someone that has used a splitter already.
If you don't have a 4k display and your display doesn't support 4k input, what's the problem? AVRs and displays accept a limited amount of resolutions and those have to be matched in your video card output. If your display is 1080p that's what you are limited to.

M

Mustang1993

Audiophyte
Your responses are confusing as this thread is for HTPC systems and media servers.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Your responses are confusing as this thread is for HTPC systems and media servers.
We get what sub forum this is. Maybe if you list make and model of your gear, and your goal; we can clear up the issue if we are missing something.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
His response isn't confusing. You just didn't take it into the context of the discussion.

Windows will only report the resolutions that your connected display and receiver both support. You may get a 4k option if you don't have a receiver hooked up to a display, but what would be the point?

Also, if you are hooking up a computer monitor to a receiver that supports non "video" resolutions then you will only have the options available that BOTH the receiver and monitor support.

I have a 21:9 monitor (2560x1080) and a 4k display hooked up to the PC in my office. My receiver is only connected to the 4k TV since it doesn't support the resolution my PC monitor supports (nor would I expect it to). So if you are wanting to use a receiver with a monitor that uses a non "video" resolution your option is to use one HDMI out from your video card directly to your monitor and another HDMI out to your receiver for your audio. It works, I do it.

If you only have one HDMI on your video card like I do then be aware that DVI and DP both support the same audio/video that HDMI does so you can use an adapter on one of those ports if you have to (I do.)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis