Need help with stereo setup

H

Hulkster81

Audiophyte
Good evening, I am new here, new to the audiophile world and just at the beginning stages of learning. So please bear with me.

Preface: I own a Rotel A12 integrated amp which I currently run into my KEF LS50s and Klipsch RP-600m speakers. I recently purchased a Doge 10 tube amplifier as I have decided to get into the tube world. The Doge tube amp does not have an internal DAC however my Rotel does have a Wolfson DAC. The Doge tube amp has the following RCA inputs on the back panel: CD, DAC, TUNER, VIDEO, and AUX.

Question(s): My Rotel A12 unit does have a pre out on the back. Do I connect the Rotel pre out to the Doge amp DAC rca input? Or do I use the AUX rca input on the back of the Doge amp?

I'm basically wanting to know can I use the
Rotel to play my digital music (it's Bluetooth enabled and has a USB input) and send it through to my Doge 10 tube amp? I could always buy a new DAC for my Doge 10 but I'm wanting to save money here and utilize what I already have available. Thanks for your time, help, and patience.

Also, I'm attaching a few screenshots of the rear of both units for a reference point. Thanks again.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes the Rotel could act as pre-amp using the pre-outs, using any but a phono input on the amp...you'll need to set an appropriate level on the tube amp, best to use the volume control and selector of source on the unit acting as pre-amp.

The bigger question would be why?

H

Hulkster81

Audiophyte
Why? Well my new Doge tube amp does not have a DAC in it and instead of buying a new one for the Doge amp I figured it would be good to save money and use the DAC in my Rotel. All I really bought the Doge amp for was to power my speakers and get that tube sound. Am I off base in my assumptions? Definitely willing to listen if I am.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why? Well my new Doge tube amp does not have a DAC in it and instead of buying a new one for the Doge amp I figured it would be good to save money and use the DAC in my Rotel. All I really bought the Doge amp for was to power my speakers and get that tube sound. Am I off base in my assumptions? Definitely willing to listen if I am.
I just wonder what you expect of the "tube" sound, especially when you have a perfectly fine amp to use :) Does this Doge have a particular sonic signature you're seeking?

H

Hulkster81

Audiophyte
I actually love my Rotel amp and hope to have it for the next 10 years. It's great and I would recommend it to anyone. I got the Doge mainly because I wanted to try something that is "airy" and provides an impressive soundstage with good separation. This particular tube amp has been reviewed and described as almost holographic and 3D in it's sound signature. So my interest was peaked and I bit. Only time will tell if that was foolish or not, I hope it was't.

Also, this particular tube amp can operate in class A and class AB depending upon the choice of the user. 30W into class A and 60 into AB. I like all types of different music and my understanding is that music which is vocal forward pairs well with Class A. It also gives manual controls for the feedback loop (normal / medium / low), so all in all it seems like something that I can play around with and have fun with. It still hasn't shown up yet I'm just
preparing essentially.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would the amp affect soundstage? People say lots of fantastical things about audio gear.....that's why they call it audiophilia.

Good luck in any case, haven't looked back to tubes for the last 50 years. Don't want a carbuerator in my car either :)

M

MTVhike

Audioholic Intern
I would use the Rotel as my control amp to drive the Doge, as lovinthehd said. You might want to set up an A/B speaker switch to see if you can hear any difference!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis