Need help with stereo imaging

D

Darthwarren

Audioholic Intern
I measured all the distance and got them in the av reciver. When i play 5.1 or 7.1 sounds like more of the sound is coming from the right side. Stearo youtube or music is the same. What should i do to fix this my setup is an onkyo tx-nr676 and polk t50 and t30 and t50s for rear. I have attached a picture of my front sound stage should i change anything or just change the av settings. Thanks for the help

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I measured all the distance and got them in the av reciver. When i play 5.1 or 7.1 sounds like more of the sound is coming from the right side. Stearo youtube or music is the same. What should i do to fix this my setup is an onkyo tx-nr676 and polk t50 and t30 and t50s for rear. I have attached a picture of my front sound stage should i change anything or just change the av settings. Thanks for the help
What are your individual channel gain settings?

D

Darthwarren

Audioholic Intern
How far back should my rear speakers be my surround back? Ive got a 93 in wide couch and my side surrounds are just behind my ears. I sit right in middle of couch most of the time

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

How far back should my rear speakers be my surround back? Ive got a 93 in wide couch and my side surrounds are just behind my ears. I sit right in middle of couch most of the time
Without being there this is hard to solve. Your settings seem appropriate. Did the auto set up do these, or did you just do a manual set up?

I do have some comments. As is so often the case, your right and left mains look to be far too close together. Your surrounds and rear backs I think are two low. Dolby spec is for the tweeters of surrounds and rear backs to be 60" from the floor.

Your room looks to be highly reflective and live acoustically which I suspect is the root cause of your problem. It seems that the walls have more in common with a subway station than a domestic living space. That acoustic environments seems as if it may be very much sub optimal.

What I would do if you have no spl meter is bring up the left channel until it sounds balanced to you.

D

Darthwarren

Audioholic Intern
With what i have as of not i can only get my rears to 54 in from the floor

D

Darthwarren

Audioholic Intern
My bad i meant to say what i have as of right now for the speakers its 53in off the ground

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I did everything manually
So it is possible that you have a faulty receiver or speaker then.

Do an auto set up with the mic, at least for distance and levels and see what the set up program sets your levels at.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah what Doc said do the Autocorrect run, than after you can Tweak the settings

D

Darthwarren

Audioholic Intern
Auto cal helped alot thanks never been one to auto cal. Ive setup 3 other setups manually and got them almost reference but my own has been a challange because im in a basement with concrete walls

D

Darthwarren

Audioholic Intern
I left everything but crossovers because i know what they need to be set at. Lowered the sub a little bit dont like overpowering bass like alot but not so much it hurts my head

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I left everything but crossovers because i know what they need to be set at. Lowered the sub a little bit dont like overpowering bass like alot but not so much it hurts my head
I had a problem identical to yours. Initially, I just adjusted balance; but, being curious I adjusted toe-in of mains, making it symmetrical and exacting. Then balance favored opposite channel until I centered balance adjustment. I've got to tell you, the miniscule adjustment of speaker toe-in to correct balance really surprised me.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I've got to tell you, the miniscule adjustment of speaker toe-in to correct balance really surprised me.
Amen. I am stunned by my own experience in setting up my space. Seemingly small adjustments yielded outsized gains. It was just such a very small toe in adjustment to my near field setup that made the magic happen. And that suggestion came from someone here on the AH. I am thankful every time I sit to listen.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Auto cal helped alot thanks never been one to auto cal. Ive setup 3 other setups manually and got them almost reference but my own has been a challange because im in a basement with concrete walls
Auto calibration systems don't always match the physical measurements in your room, especially for subwoofers. This has more to do with the amount of time it takes sound to arrive at your seating position than actual distance. I tend not to mess with the distances once they're set. Sometimes I'll tweak one of my surrounds up or down a dB or 2, but that's about it for levels and distances.

D

Darthwarren

Audioholic Intern
Is my center going out? Right woofer sound louder then left is that normal?

D

Darthwarren

Audioholic Intern
Is my center going out? Right woofer sound louder then left is that normal?
My center is a polk t30 i got used has sounded good for the last year but now sounds a little bit tinny? Should i go and buy a new t30 since i have the rest of the t series?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I did everything manually
You can certainly do that but in my experience auto tend to do a better job as it consider other factors than just the physical distances. That is especially the case if you have a weird shape room and/or limited speaker placement resulting in one speaker closer to a wall/corner/furniture, large opening to another room etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis