Need help with setting up Universal Remote

D

dougiefresh

Audiophyte
I have a MRF-260 and a MX-810. I'm unclear about hooking up the base unit-do I just stick these sticky pads at the end of the wires over the "eye" on the receiver and cable box? Do they stay there permenantly? Isn't there a cleaner looking way to do this if they stay there? Help pls:confused:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I have a MRF-260 and a MX-810. I'm unclear about hooking up the base unit-do I just stick these sticky pads at the end of the wires over the "eye" on the receiver and cable box?
Yes.
Do they stay there permenantly?
So far for me, they do. So long as you don't pull on them hard. If you accidentally pull on them, I believe it's possible for the emitter to "slide" on the eye, making transmission faulty. This will not be so evident when troubleshooting, so keep that in mind in the future.

If the glue ever fails, or that you just keep pulling off and putting back on for whatever reason, some people use a glue gun to adhere the emitter.

Isn't there a cleaner looking way to do this if they stay there? Help pls:confused:
The cleaner ways include line-of-sight IR, RS232 ($$$$, plus most/many of the components we buy don't have it), perhaps fixed line IR emitter.

Out of all the stuff that I own, the only things that have RS232 are my receiver and projector (none of my three sources, however), and only the receiver has fixed line. I think. Good luck. Oh, to tidy things up a bit, I usually run the emitter underneath each component, up vertically. And since almost all of my components are black, it's not easy to notice them anyways.

And if you're using non-line-of-sight, do you even see your components? Because if you can see them, you can just use IR, the old fashioned way?

Lastly, even if I run the emitter underneath my receiver, the front panel pulls downward, so I'm aware of that when accessing it so that I don't pull off the wire accidentally. I think this is how I figured out that the wire can simply "slide" when pulled.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
What I've done with my setup is run the IR line down and to the side of each component. I cut a piece of electrical tape to cover up the IR flasher and doubly secure it to the component. All of my components are black and my rack door is tinted dark so there is nothing to see when the lights are down in my room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis