Need help with my surround sound system

C

Cholt160

Audiophyte
Hello so I have a denon AVR 2310CI receiver and a set of mono price 5.1 surround sound speakers. I was given this set up for free and figured I would try to set it up instead of selling it. I have 14 gauge speaker wire and set up my banana plugs into the wire and plugged into the receiver. Because the speakers entry for the cable is too small it cannot accept banana plugs so I only have banana plugs on one side of the wires, is this an issue? I am currently plugged in and ready to go but am not receiving any sound at all. Please someone help me! What did I do wrong that is preventing my speakers from giving me any sound??

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
First, the cable terminations are fine, with/without plugs.
As to no sound...
First thing I would do is double check (again) all wiring is correct and that you have the AVR set up correctly with speakers turned on in the set up menu. If that does not work, I would triple check all wiring including confirming all screws in the plugs are fully tightened, then I would reset the AVR. Simple reset first, unplug it for 10 seconds with any other connection also removed, then reconnect and try again.
That part is simple first tier troubleshooting.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Banana at one end and bare wire on the other is no problem at all, just make sure there are no bare wire strands that spread out and touch the other wires/terminals.

What are you trying to get the sound from?
Have you run a setup?
Have you chosen the right source input?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C

Cholt160

Audiophyte
Banana at one end and bare wire on the other is no problem at all, just make sure there are no bare wire strands that spread out and touch the other wires/terminals.

What are you trying to get the sound from?
Have you run a setup?
Have you chosen the right source input?

I’m trying to get the sound from my Xbox one. So I have one hdmi cable plugged into the ‘hdmi out’ port running into the avr and another hdmi cable running from the ‘hdmi in’ port to the tv. My screen is coming up on the tv with this setup but I am unable to run a set up. When I use the remote nothing shows on the tv

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I’m trying to get the sound from my Xbox one. So I have one hdmi cable plugged into the ‘hdmi out’ port running into the avr and another hdmi cable running from the ‘hdmi in’ port to the tv. My screen is coming up on the tv with this setup but I am unable to run a set up. When I use the remote nothing shows on the tv
Xbox ‘hdmi out’ to reciever ‘hdmi in’. Reciever ‘hdmi out’ to tv hdmi input?

Reciever is turned on?
Some recievers dont have on screen display so only show on the small one at the front of the reciever, dont know if yours do.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Your description is confusing. You are unable to run a set up with this setup? Another cable running from the HDMI IN port to the TV?

Your chain should likely be as follows:
XBOX HDMI Out to AVR HDMI 'Game IN" or other port of choice. You may or may not need a Toslink or Digital Coax for sound from XBOX to AVR.
Then AVR HDMI OUT to TV HDMI IN. Commonly most will use the ARC enabled HDMI ports, however there may be limitations to how well that works depending on TV and AVR. This is not necessary, as well, but you may need a separate Audio connection FROM TV to AVR, for example I use a Toslink to send TV Audio to my AVR.

You say you are getting an image, but in your description, perhaps no sound? Check your AVR menus for confirming the HDMI connections and how they are applied.

P

photographer86

Audioholic
So the xbox one x if that is what you have has 2 hdmi ports. One is a output and one is a input for your cable box. They make this a little confusing cause what it allows is someone without a AVR the option to plug in a cable sat top box and only have to run one hdmi to there tv for both units. Since you have a nice denon setup. You'll want to run a hdmi cable from the xbox output to your choice of input on the denon. For me I use game since its a game console. Then after you do that you need to run 1 hdmi cable from the output of the denon. It should say monitor out. Which means your tv set. If you have any other items you want to have show up on your tv you would run a hdmi cable from the output of that device to the input of the denon. So say you have a cable box or apple tv. You would run one hdmi cable to cable sat input. After you get those all plugged in the denon monitor output hdmi cable run to your tv input. Sometimes tv's have 2-5 hdmi inputs. So you'll want to choose one of those inputs on your tv set. Some tv's again make it crazy like my vizio input number 5 only supports 4k 60hz so you'll want to read about that for your tv if you need to plug into a certain input. From there you'll then pick up your tv remote and make sure your tv is on the input you plugged your denon hdmi output into. . Then power up your denon, tv switch the input of your denon to game and the xbox should show up. If it does and you got the denon for free, the last person could have changed the input source of that input of denon. It's all in the menu and gets a little confusing. But try the steps i talked about first. Hope this helps. Will check back.

C

Cholt160

Audiophyte
Thank you for your response. So the only way I was able to get this to work was to run my hdmi cable from my directv box into the Xbox hdmi in port and take the hdmi out port on the Xbox into the avr and finally have the monitor out hdmi port on the avr run into the tv. Not sure why I need the directv connection but seemed to be my only option. All said and done.... so I thought. I have an amp, 2 front speakers, 2 surround speakers, and a center speaker. And the only thing giving me sound are the front speakers and the amp. I have gone into the Xbox and changed the setting to 5.1 and Dolby digital which should allow the utilization of all speakers.... But still only getting the two speakers and the amp now

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Have you adjusted your sound mode on your be avr? From stereo to Dolby digital, for example?

Last edited:
L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Have you adjusted your sound mode on your be avr? From steep to Dolby digital, for example?
This.

And also the reciever doesnt seem to be 4k compatible so make sure you dont have anything set to a higher resolution then it can work with.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did you get the Audyssey set up mic? Did you run that for setup? Otherwise tell us what you did to setup, and what the various speaker settings are.

What sound modes have you been using?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Maybe you now know why you got this system for free.:D

P

photographer86

Audioholic
Thank you for your response. So the only way I was able to get this to work was to run my hdmi cable from my directv box into the Xbox hdmi in port and take the hdmi out port on the Xbox into the avr and finally have the monitor out hdmi port on the avr run into the tv. Not sure why I need the directv connection but seemed to be my only option. All said and done.... so I thought. I have an amp, 2 front speakers, 2 surround speakers, and a center speaker. And the only thing giving me sound are the front speakers and the amp. I have gone into the Xbox and changed the setting to 5.1 and Dolby digital which should allow the utilization of all speakers.... But still only getting the two speakers and the amp now

Thats great man. So you don’t have to also plug in the cable sat box into xbox. Only would have to take hdmi output of xbox to hdmi input of avr game input like i said earlier. Totally what your choice to what you want to plug it into. Glad you got it working though. That hdmi input on xbox is for anything. Dvd player, cable sat box. Its for if someone doesn’t have many hdmi inputs is all. So then you would plug the cable say box into cable sat hdmi input on avr. It should work that way. The avr like i said becomes the input selector now since you’re passing every thing through it. However like stated that avr may not be cable if passing 4k video so it will only be a 1080p coming to tv. Will it look bad probably not. Will u get tru for 4k signal no.

For sound settings there should be sound modes. They’re all a little different on avr’s. There should be a button on remote for movie, sound mode auto sound mode. Look for those things. When you press them. Just sitting at the menu of xbox you should see it change. If your pressing movie mode might change to pro logic, prologic II. Dolby surround so forth. The avr usally auto switches to the proper mode when its getting a dolby digital, dolby true hd or atmos if the avr is cable of decoding. I know for sure yours does dolby digital. So the. Those sounds modes are for recreating a 2 channel stereo source. So if the video game is not dolby digital you’ll only hear out of 2 speakers. Good job on setting the setting to dolby digital in xbox settings. Thats a step as well. What i would do is through in a dvd that you know has dolby digital surround and make sure its playing that. Your getting there man. You,ve learned how to plug in and route stuff and use a avr to be a source selector. Any other questions. Let us know.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis