Need help with my first projector install.

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
So I'm setting up my first projector based room.

Room size is 14wide x 20long x7.6tall. I want to do a 150 inch screen 16.9. Projector is a jvc nz8.
Can this be done?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is no issue with the throw distance or screen size. I would recommend dark paints on all surfaces at the bare minimum. Fabrics can be better than dark paint for soaking up bouncing light. Especially with a lower ceiling that will be closer to the screen. I would likely try to go with a good white 1.3 gain screen, like Stewart Studiotek 130 or similar on a fixed frame screen.

For throw distance, you can hit a 150" diagonal from about 16' to 30' lens to screen, so that will fit nicely towards the back of the room.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-NZ8-projection-calculator-pro.htm

The screen itself is almost 6' tall, so you will have to consider center channel and other speaker placement in regards to a screen which is that tall when you only have about 7.5' of room height in the room.

But, with a good surround sound setup, this could look spectacular in the space.

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
So I removed the walls this weekend. Im doing upgraded sound proofing, rockwool, hat channel, double 5/8, green glue, matte black walls. Going to try to move a door over 6 inches for better sound speaker placement. I have all the speakers and amps and pre/pro all ready. Also I'm thinking about using the new screen by elite screens aeon 4d
https://elitescreens.com/products/aeon-cinegrey-4d-at/ looks like a good starter screen. Im going to put the speakers behind the screen with the two 15 inch monolith subs. Also is that going to be a problem subs with lots of power behind the screen. I know it says sounds travels past the screen fine but what about all the bass pressure?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
DO NOT USE AN ALR SCREEN!!!! I am not sure how this EVER comes to be in a proper home theater. ALR screens are a band aid solution for a really crappy room. ALR screens significantly damage the image coming out of a projector. Sparklies, hot spots, and poor image uniformity are the MAJOR issues of these screens. So, unless your room is absolute garbage, you do NOT use an ALR screen ever. If you call a place like Stewart and let them know you have a good theater space, they let you know to use a white screen. And at 150" you will want one with a small bit of positive gain, but not enough gain as to create hot spots or sparklies. If you haven't seen sparklies before, it is literally what it sounds like. It is a visible 'sparkle' to certain areas of the screen as the underlying reflective coating creates pin points of brighter spots that are reflected back towards a viewers eyes. This is a major issue with ALR screens because of the optical coating used. Not so much with other screens, but some grey screens with a slight positive gain can have this issue and higher gain white screens (1.5 gain or higher) often have this issue.

I would not worry too much about the bass presenting as an issue to the screen. Not sure how much space is between the screen and the surface of the subwoofer... still, I've never seen this as an issue in any installations I've done over the years.

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
Stewart is a pain in the butt to deal with. I have ordered a epv 138 scope screen. 1.1 white finish.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Stewart is a pain in the butt to deal with. I have ordered a epv 138 scope screen. 1.1 white finish.
If you're don't an authorized dealer, CS isn't that quick to respond. Same with Vutec, they're use to dealing with CI not an end user.

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
The Stewart rep for my area couldn't answer questions I was asking. I'm not going to get into it to much but when u have to hear back from 3 people and not one of them is on the same page as the other.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis