Need help with Denon or switch to Anthem or Marantz

A

Azagoth1313

Enthusiast
I have a Denon x3700h and am quite happy with it overall but I read alot about Anthem sound and Marantz higher end models sounding amazing. I haven't owned either brand. I have seen a couple clearance items at a local store...returns for one reason or another. I can get a Marantz AV7706 for $1699 or an Anthem MRX740 with the HDMI 2.1 upgrade for $1200. I currently run a 7.2.4 set up with a 4 channel Anthem external amp and everything sound amazing but I wonder if an Anthem receiver would sound even better or if the difference is negligible and I should just stick with the X3700h. The Marantz only came up because it's almost half retail and it's new.....the customer returned it after realizing it wasn't what they ordered and its been sitting there and keeps getting marked lower. Anyway just curious what anyone with experience on how the brands sound would suggest.

Thank you for your time
Terry

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I"d simply expect different dsp or room eq to account for sound differences between those. I'd ignore those opinions you mentioned. I'd keep the Denon and spend money on more important things...speakers or perhaps room treatment or simply more content to enjoy the gear with....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yet another question of the week regarding the sound of different brands of AVR. :D

My vote: they don’t sound differently unless you compare them using different VOLUME or DSP or EQ (room correction, tones).

Will be more interesting if Denon/Marantz and Yamaha also get Dirac Room EQ. :D

A

Azagoth1313

Enthusiast
Thank you for the honest opinions. I really can't imagine the sound would be that different but I have no experience with higher end AVRs. The X3700 is the nicest one I've ever owned and I was lucky to pick it up as a return for $850 before COVID led to all the prices being jacked up more. Im i. A position where I have more to spend when I decide to upgrade but I dont want to do it for no real reason. I appreciate the input and your time.

Thank you
Terry

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a Denon x3700h and am quite happy with it overall but I read alot about Anthem sound and Marantz higher end models sounding amazing.
You can't stop people from saying things that are not based on facts! To you the Denon may sound amazing, to some it could be Anthem, Marantz or Sony. So here on Audioholics.com, some of us prefer to rely on specs and measurements much more so than on our ears, or hearsay. Yet many on Audioholics.com would say they didn't care about specs and/or measurements. They all have their own perceived reasons, one being one should trust their ears only regardless etc...:D

but I have no experience with higher end AVRs.
Never mind comparing an AVR to another AVR, I have compared AVRs to separate dac+preamps+power amps. If you compare them level matched, in pure direct mode there will be no difference unless you push one to their output voltage or current limit. Specs and measurements predicted the results anyway but it was still fun comparing them by ears. If you ever try that yourself, make sure you don't use any dsp functions, level matched to within less than 1 dB and use a switch to minimize time delay in going from amp A to amp B.

1659010913143.png

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you for the honest opinions. I really can't imagine the sound would be that different but I have no experience with higher end AVRs. The X3700 is the nicest one I've ever owned and I was lucky to pick it up as a return for $850 before COVID led to all the prices being jacked up more. Im i. A position where I have more to spend when I decide to upgrade but I dont want to do it for no real reason. I appreciate the input and your time.

Thank you
Terry
Many of us upgrade to flagship models or different brands at one point or another, but the reason is for other things, not sound quality. :D

You can continue planning your next AVR or go separate (AVP + amps). Use the Denon X3700. See if you love everything about it - the pros and cons of using it.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have a Denon x3700h and am quite happy with it overall but I read alot about Anthem sound and Marantz higher end models sounding amazing. I haven't owned either brand. I have seen a couple clearance items at a local store...returns for one reason or another. I can get a Marantz AV7706 for $1699 or an Anthem MRX740 with the HDMI 2.1 upgrade for $1200. I currently run a 7.2.4 set up with a 4 channel Anthem external amp and everything sound amazing but I wonder if an Anthem receiver would sound even better or if the difference is negligible and I should just stick with the X3700h. The Marantz only came up because it's almost half retail and it's new.....the customer returned it after realizing it wasn't what they ordered and its been sitting there and keeps getting marked lower. Anyway just curious what anyone with experience on how the brands sound would suggest.

Thank you for your time
Terry
FWIW, your model Denon, pre COVID version, was one of the best measuring AVRs tested and an excellent value.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Thank you for your time
Terry
Your post title contains "Need help with Denon..." but you didn't post anything about it that might require assistance. What am I missing?

A

Azagoth1313

Enthusiast
I'm so sorry for the confusion. That probably wasn't the best title. I should have said need help deciding on keeping the Denon or changing. I just read all these different things about AV receivers and sound. I can afford better stuff than in the past so I get curious how things sound but so many people have conflicting opinions. On here I seem to get the most honest advice overall. I thought maybe changing would impact sound. Really though I got all new speakers recently and they sound amazing compared to what I had so I started wondering if changing the Denon would just improve that even more but that clearly doesn't seem to be the case. I apologize again.

A

Azagoth1313

Enthusiast
FWIW, your model Denon, pre COVID version, was one of the best measuring AVRs tested and an excellent value.
Thats what I have. The one thing that actually bothers me is the work around for the HDMI 2.1 input but I don't know that it's worth over a grand for that. If I run my series X to my LG CX I can't use DTS X which I do like for non Atmos mixed games and movies but again just to get that I don't think is worth it.

A

Azagoth1313

Enthusiast
Thats what I have. The one thing that actually bothers me is the work around for the HDMI 2.1 input but I don't know that it's worth over a grand for that. If I run my series X to my LG CX I can't use DTS X which I do like for non Atmos mixed games and movies but again just to get that I don't think is worth it.
Since it seems that actual sound quality won't really change with a different receiver

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You can pick up and HDMI audio extractor for a lot less then the Denon box. That's what I'd consider personally.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This: you should continue to be patient. The next generation of machines should be fully operational. The latest Anthem still hasn't been tested as best I can tell. I don't think there is anything currently available which offers the full HDMI 2.1 without some caveat.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Folks with TVs that do not support DTS are in a pinch because HDMI splitters don't support HDMI 2.1 features if they need to split the audio and video. I recently decided to check out the XBOX Series S and have an LG C1. Connecting the XBOX directly to my Onkyo receiver gets me everything, though it's vanilla VRR. Connecting the XBOX directly to the TV gets me AMD FreeSync Premium BUT I lose DTS:X passthrough via eARC if I want it because LG dropped DTS support. No, there doesn't seem to be a difference using VRR through the receiver. But, who doesn't like a shiny AMD FreeSync Premium label displayed in the Game Optimizer?;) I don't believe any receiver from any brand supports it. Microsoft dropped the optical port on its new consoles but didn't replace them with a second HDMI port. So many could have really used one right now.:confused:

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Folks with TVs that do not support DTS are in a pinch because HDMI splitters don't support HDMI 2.1 features if they need to split the audio and video. I recently decided to check out the XBOX Series S and have an LG C1. Connecting the XBOX directly to my Onkyo receiver gets me everything, though it's vanilla VRR. Connecting the XBOX directly to the TV gets me AMD FreeSync Premium BUT I lose DTS:X passthrough via eARC if I want it because LG dropped DTS support. No, there doesn't seem to be a difference using VRR through the receiver. But, who doesn't like a shiny AMD FreeSync Premium label displayed in the Game Optimizer?;) I don't believe any receiver from any brand supports it. Microsoft dropped the optical port on its new consoles but didn't replace them with a second HDMI port. So many could have really used one right now.:confused:
What features are missing? I can see some cheap units not working as they should be
but there have been units tested and working as far as I know.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I should have said that splitters don't support ALL of the features one may want when connecting a next gen console to their system.The HDFury VRROOM is the very pricey solution that works for almost everything but AMD FreeSync Premium only works with a direct connection of the console to the TV. It does split the audio for those folks who want DTS and cannot get it using eARC and supports HDR10/HDR10+, Dolby Vision 4K @120Hz with VRR.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I should have said that splitters don't support ALL of the features one may want when connecting a next gen console to their system.The HDFury VRROOM is the very pricey solution that works for almost everything but AMD FreeSync Premium only works with a direct connection of the console to the TV. It does split the audio for those folks who want DTS and cannot get it using eARC and supports HDR10/HDR10+, Dolby Vision 4K @120Hz with VRR.
Gotcha. There was a EDID sync unit I read about last week that was full 48ghz and full support for all of the spec you listed, either $599 or $699. I was thinking it was a cheaper solution then Denon's. The matrixs should start to showing up by years end making for more options. (cheaper options).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis