Need help with a pioneer PD-65 CD player will not turn on.

• Thread starter Welcome2Stereo23
  • Start date
W

Welcome2Stereo23

Audiophyte
Hello all,
I am brand new here. And I am in need of some advise. Like the title says I have a pioneer PD-65 CD player that will not power on. Recently I got it out of its original box and hooked it up to my receiver and turned on the PD-65 and it played a CD no problems at all. Unfortunately my dad turned the CD player off with the disc tray open and now the cd player is dead no power at all.
I know just enough about electronics repair to get myself into trouble. And upon opening up the CD player I found no major issues. No burned areas on the board, no swollen or blown caps, the fuses seem to be ok, And I'm getting 120V coming into the cd player. Its VERY clean inside and out. I don't see a voltage switch or external fuse to check.
I was going to sell it because I rarely use it anymore. But I'm sure its worth substantially less not working.
I have been all over YouTube and google trying to find info about this cd player but I'm coming up short. So if anybody can help it would be GREATLY appreciated.
Or if anybody know someone I can take it to that's in the south eastern Ohio area that would be great.
Attached pic is of CD just before it stopped working.
IMG_20230126_135624708resize.jpg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello all,
I am brand new here. And I am in need of some advise. Like the title says I have a pioneer PD-65 CD player that will not power on. Recently I got it out of its original box and hooked it up to my receiver and turned on the PD-65 and it played a CD no problems at all. Unfortunately my dad turned the CD player off with the disc tray open and now the cd player is dead no power at all.
I know just enough about electronics repair to get myself into trouble. And upon opening up the CD player I found no major issues. No burned areas on the board, no swollen or blown caps, the fuses seem to be ok, And I'm getting 120V coming into the cd player. Its VERY clean inside and out. I don't see a voltage switch or external fuse to check.
I was going to sell it because I rarely use it anymore. But I'm sure its worth substantially less not working.
I have been all over YouTube and google trying to find info about this cd player but I'm coming up short. So if anybody can help it would be GREATLY appreciated.
Or if anybody know someone I can take it to that's in the south eastern Ohio area that would be great.
Attached pic is of CD just before it stopped working.
View attachment 60193
Were you able to get the tray back in? Usually you can push them back in.

When units will not power up, the problem is usually in the power supply. Take your multimeter and check that there is 120 volts all the way to the primary of the power transformer. If not then you need to start at the switch. By the way, is the on/off switch a two or four pole switch, or a momentary switch? If the former make sure the switch is operational. If the switch is momentary , then the unit will have a starting circuit, and you will need to check that out.

If there is 120 volts at the primary of the power transformer, then see if there is a voltage on the secondary outputs. There may be several voltage outputs from multiple windings. If there is no voltage then the power transformer is blown. If there is voltage, then you need to check the DC voltages in the power supply board starting at the rectifier and following it though to the DC voltage inputs on the circuit boards.

W

Welcome2Stereo23

Audiophyte
Sorry I really don't know enough about electronics to do what you describe. If its got a blown transformer or something I wouldn't be able to replace it anyway. I'm not very good at soldering, so I'm sure id just make a mess of it. I put the pd-65 up on Facebook marketplace for $125 as is. I may have a guy coming after it this afternoon.
Anyway thanks for attempting to help me.
Were you able to get the tray back in? Usually you can push them back in.

When units will not power up, the problem is usually in the power supply. Take your multimeter and check that there is 120 volts all the way to the primary of the power transformer. If not then you need to start at the switch. By the way, is the on/off switch a two or four pole switch, or a momentary switch? If the former make sure the switch is operational. If the switch is momentary , then the unit will have a starting circuit, and you will need to check that out.

If there is 120 volts at the primary of the power transformer, then see if there is a voltage on the secondary outputs. There may be several voltage outputs from multiple windings. If there is no voltage then the power transformer is blown. If there is voltage, then you need to check the DC voltages in the power supply board starting at the rectifier and following it though to the DC voltage inputs on the circuit boards.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis