Need help with 5.1 layout.. odd room layout

Cee78

Cee78

Audiophyte
Hey everyone.. I've finally decided to upgrade past a sound bar and really need some advice on how to go from there.. I've settle on a 5.1 system. I will be mounting speakers on either side of the 65" TV .. center speaker will sit on the console below. I was planning on putting the sub on the corner wall right side of TV.

I'm wondering what to do with the rear speakers.. Where to mount them? trying to avoid putting them on stands as I will have to run wire under the sofa all the way around back to console. So I was wondering if maybe I can suspend them from ceiling behind sofa somehow?

Room size approx 21ftx20ft.. 9ft ceilings... the living room is part of an open floor plan.. to the left it opens into the kitchen/dining area which is a larger room.

Also since I'm on the subject of a 5.1 system. What would work well for a room that large..not really sure of my budget..but currently looking to spend 250ish per front speaker as well as about under 500 for a center speaker... sub..and rear..not worried about yet..

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I’d put one on the black bookshelf, and hang the other one on the wall between the window and the corner.

If you have attic access you might consider in-ceilings for the back speakers. Of course, that would preclude ever re-arranging the room...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Cee78

Cee78

Audiophyte
Actually putting rear speakers in the ceiling? So they would point straight down over the sofa? Would this be ideal? I can easily do that....

Cee78

Cee78

Audiophyte
I guess my other question would be front and center speakers that would do such a large room justice.. I would like to mount the front speakers on the walls on either side of the tv.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
The ceiling speakers would be a last resort in case you didn’t like the bookshelf/on-wall option.

Any speakers substantial enough to “do such a large room justice” will be too big and heavy to hang on the wall. Can’t go wrong with some Salk Soundscape 12’s or Revel Salon2’s.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis