Need help with 5.1 front speaker placement

D

deaningraham

Audiophyte
I have done my research on speaker placement, but I have not been able to find the answer that I am looking for.

Currently I have 2 ceiling speakers for the left and right surround from my Acoustic Audio HT-55 (which includes 2 ceiling speakers and 3 wall speakers) installed in my ceiling and I am using 3 satellite speakers from my old Logitech X530 for my front left, right and center speakers. I also have a Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer. All of these speakers are connected to my Sony STRDH590 (I spliced the wires on my logitech satellite speakers). Now, I know that the satellite speakers are not ideal, but they work well, believe it or not. With that being said, I would like to use the front speakers that I bought with my Acoustic Audio HT-55, but my options are limited.

Ideally, I would like to put the front speakers in the wall, but the only wall space directly in front of my seating area is between a shelf and the top of a cabinet, which basically creates an open box. I am guessing that is probably not the best area acoustically, especially considering that my kids or wife will likely put items on top of the cabinet. My other option is to put the front speakers in the ceiling, but the research I have done basically tells me that installing the center speaker in the ceiling is a bad idea. With that being said, I can't seem to find anything about installing the front left and right speakers in the ceiling. The only negative thing I keep reading about installing front speakers in the ceiling, is the center speaker placement.

Because my projector screen comes down in front of the fireplace and bookcase (and because it is not an acoustic screen), I really have nowhere to put my center speaker. What I am currently doing is hiding the speaker in a wicker type basket in front of the fireplace, which is working just fine. The dialogue is not muffed and the sound quality seems to be fine. So, assuming that I keep my center speaker where it is (but replacing it with the bigger speaker from my HT-55 set), I am just left with figuring out where to put the front left and right speaker. Since I have to cut holes in the wall or ceiling, I don't want to screw this up. So, what do you guys suggest. I understand that nothing about this situation is ideal, but what are my best options?

Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wow that is a tough room! But I totally empathize with having to compromise in a room setup I too don't have a dedicated theater room. And had too use the living room which meant getting creative.

Question 1 does your setup have to be in front of that fireplace could you rearrange the projector on a side wall and flow the room around that. Or is that not enough room for the projector to work? If you could that would open up a lottoff options. You could put all your gear in those shelves and have room for a full 5.1 or 5.2 setup. Also then if you put ceiling speakers in you could do Atmos. a 5.2.4 setup someday.

If not if that's how the room has to work then ceiling overheads looks like it would be the only way to go. And there's no getting around it your sound would have to be compromised

If it was me I would use that wall opposite the window. Put the projector screen there then you have room for center channel with entertainment center under and 2 floor speakers towers or bookshelves either side the surrounds would be back by that window and bam you even have room for atmos speakers. Also if the projector is high enough you could go 3 in walls underneath since your screen isn't acoustically transparent for l c r still a compromise but better then putting them in the ceiling. And then your bookshelf and beautiful fireplace decor is not obscured by the screen it becomes part of the room and set up and flows more using that wall and flowing your room around it looks better ( in my humble opinion) and gives you a lot more options with your audio

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah relooking at those pics I'd totally go with that wall across from the window. There's so many options with audio from there that don't compromise the sound. That's just how I would go. I'm sure others will have some ideas as well. Best of luck to you

D

deaningraham

Audiophyte
Yeah relooking at those pics I'd totally go with that wall across from the window. There's so many options with audio from there that don't compromise the sound. That's just how I would go. I'm sure others will have some ideas as well. Best of luck to you
Unfortunately, the projector is already installed in the ceiling and I have to work with the current set up.

Would it be better to have the L R speakers in the ceiling in on the back wall of the book case, between the cabinet and the bottom shelf? The right side has a shelf that is pretty close to the cabinet and soon the left side will too. This would create an open box, but would it be better than the ceiling?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Unfortunately, the projector is already installed in the ceiling and I have to work with the current set up.

Would it be better to have the L R speakers in the ceiling in on the back wall of the book case, between the cabinet and the bottom shelf? The right side has a shelf that is pretty close to the cabinet and soon the left side will too. This would create an open box, but would it be better than the ceiling?
Man I'm stumped on that one hopefully some of our amigos can jump on board and help out. I'd just reinstall that projector that is just a difficult place you have your set up in and the only solution I see is l c r on the ceiling slightly barely in front of the projector you'd have to get quality too with an angled degree to help direct the sound like RSL's C34E's great ceiling speaker good price good speakers will help up there but still be compromised but better then nothing

D

deaningraham

Audiophyte
Man I'm stumped on that one hopefully some of our amigos can jump on board and help out. I'd just reinstall that projector that is just a difficult place you have your set up in and the only solution I see is l c r on the ceiling slightly barely in front of the projector you'd have to get quality too with an angled degree to help direct the sound like RSL's C34E's great ceiling speaker good price good speakers will help up there but still be compromised but better then nothing
Yeah, I did the math and the speakers would have to be pointed at a 50 degree angle in order to be pointing at the seating position. That is of course as long as I put it right in front of the projector.

I would probably move the projector, but then I couldn't put it in the ceiling since the rafters run in the other direction. My wife really really really likes it in the ceiling. She doesn't want it seen unless we are using it. Plus she likes to show off to her friends that there is a screen that comes out of the ceiling lol.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I did the math and the speakers would have to be pointed at a 50 degree angle in order to be pointing at the seating position. That is of course as long as I put it right in front of the projector.

I would probably move the projector, but then I couldn't put it in the ceiling since the rafters run in the other direction. My wife really really really likes it in the ceiling. She doesn't want it seen unless we are using it. Plus she likes to show off to her friends that there is a screen that comes out of the ceiling lol.
Siggghhhh the old WAF oh well you gotta keep the misses happy no getting out of that

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis