Need Help w/ Custom Built Speakers in Las Vegas

B

brittonscott1

Audiophyte
Hi everyone, my Dad back in 1981 had a pair of speakers built out of his favorite wood (Koa) and he recently gave them to me in really really bad condition needing all the speakers and capacitors replaced. I decided to do the work myself and im finished and they work but could sound better. Was curious if anybody who lives in Las Vegas has the experience to analyze these speakers and make corrections (building new crossover, maybe port) to make them sound amazing?!! Since im a newbie this is out of my expertise. These are sealed, and all replacement speakers I bought off of partsexpress.com. Feel free to reach out to me with recommendations of anyone who can service these in Las Vegas. Thanks, Britt.

P.s. Side by side picture is old speakers (15" passive radiator) and new speakers with 15" woofer.

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi everyone, my Dad back in 1981 had a pair of speakers built out of his favorite wood (Koa) and he recently gave them to me in really really bad condition needing all the speakers and capacitors replaced. I decided to do the work myself and im finished and they work but could sound better. Was curious if anybody who lives in Las Vegas has the experience to analyze these speakers and make corrections (building new crossover, maybe port) to make them sound amazing?!! Since im a newbie this is out of my expertise. These are sealed, and all replacement speakers I bought off of partsexpress.com. Feel free to reach out to me with recommendations of anyone who can service these in Las Vegas. Thanks, Britt.

P.s. Side by side picture is old speakers (15" passive radiator) and new speakers with 15" woofer.
I'm sorry, but I have to tell you honestly, that whole design concept is beyond help. The design concept is beyond dreadful and terminally flawed.

B

brittonscott1

Audiophyte
Understandable I can see where your coming from. I appreciate your feedback!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Understandable I can see where your coming from. I appreciate your feedback!
I like to give honest answers and not false hope. There are just far too many drivers, and even the most advanced AI could not sort that lot out.
If you want help doing a design from scratch I could help you.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
To echo TLS Guy, that speaker is fundamentally broken. It looks like the midrange is being split up between three different drivers. The only thing resembling a crossover circuit is two capacitors. There is no way to reasonably design a crossover that could accommodate all these drivers or even half of them probably. Not to sound snobby, but that is not a salvageable design, at least if you are interested in high-fidelity playback.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Should have asked before buying the drivers. Might post up what drivers you bought, maybe something can be designed from them for new boxes....

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
You also replaced a passive radiator with an actual woofer....

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
that Koa wood looks beautiful. Hopefully you can get something going to carry them forward from your Dad which would be a cool legacy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
that Koa wood looks beautiful. Hopefully you can get something going to carry them forward from your Dad which would be a cool legacy.
Or he could do like ADTG did and just use something as decoration rather than functioning..... (his Denon prepro that crapped out and couldn't be repaired)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would take the wood for it and make some bookshelf speakers. The wood does look very nice, and it could still be useful for a good speaker. I bet you could make some killer two-way bookshelf speakers with that material.

B

brittonscott1

Audiophyte
Yes these are all great recommendations. I'm holding on to speakers bc of their sentimental value. Family is very strong with us and I'll probably just use them to look at!! I didn't design them, just trying to do them proper justice. Understand now that the design is faulty and they have been relegated to art. Appreciate all your comments and advice. The wood is pretty though I must say!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis