Need help upgrading current system

B

BIGBREW

Audiophyte
Want to add on to my indoor surround sound. Currently I have a 6 speaker and one sub woofer system working off of a Onkyo HT R430 which works great indoors, I have it plugged into an Alexa so you can tell it to turn on and then tell it what you want to listen to and you never have to touch a button. I am installing a pool and a deck outdoors this summer and I would like to put a couple speakers outdoors that are connected to the indoor system so what you are listening to indoors is the same as outdoors. I would like a volume control between the indoor and outdoor speakers so when we are inside the outdoor speakers are off. I would like to put the volume control next to the light switches where my rear sliding door is.

I can do the install, I am just not sure what items to buy that will work together well. I know I will have to chase the wall next to the slider to get the wires up to the volume control. Can I just use an 8 channel receiver, use 6 channels for outdoors and run the other two to the volume control and then the speakers on the deck outside?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A modern avr usually has at least one zone, sometimes two or three, and can often be controlled with a phone/tablet over wifi (or a remote control) if that's of any interest to you; each zone is separately controllable to be on/off or different volumes (and with same or even different content). I'm not familiar with wall mounted volume controls but that could easily be another way to go.

B

BIGBREW

Audiophyte
Thanks for the info. Could you recommend a receiver for this sort of application. I have been out of the loop for a long time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Budget? What do you use for source(s) of the audio?

B

BIGBREW

Audiophyte
I'm willing to spend decent money to do this correct. Putting a pool and deck in the back yard this year, just built this house. Adding a decent receiver to the budget isn't going to hurt much at this point.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
It looks just a 2nd AVR for outside will be fine...most of the newer AVRs will be able to be controlled via app on your phone so I would not spend the time on a wall mounted volume control.

Crutchfield is a good website to see several AVRs.

B

BIGBREW

Audiophyte
Very good thank you. Not having to mount a volume control in the wall won't hurt my feelings.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm willing to spend decent money to do this correct. Putting a pool and deck in the back yard this year, just built this house. Adding a decent receiver to the budget isn't going to hurt much at this point.
Okay so sky's the limit on spending, got it :) . What do you use the avr with for sources? Do you have external amps? What features do you need other than zones?

B

BIGBREW

Audiophyte
I have a 6 speaker surround sound in the living room I need to power. Then I want two channels for outdoors. I would need an optical audio input for my TV and would like a place to plug an Alexa dot into. Right now I use a 3mm to an RCA conversion that works so if it had an RCA input that should convert what I need. If I could find something in the 3-500 range that would be nice, but if I need to spend more it is what it is. This is something we want.

B

BIGBREW

Audiophyte
I picked up an Onkyo TX-RZ630 blemish from Crutchfield for $350 yesterday.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis