Need help to decide on sound

S

sbidaho

Audiophyte
My 11 year old Onkyo finally went out and I miss the surround sound. I don't need a lot but wanted something to help the TV sound. I purchased a new Samsung TV last year which came with the new One Connect box and from what I have read Samsung has no idea how that box interacts with AV receivers.
Could someone explain what the difference would be if I only purchased a soundbar versus a new AV receiver. Also, has anyone found the solution to using the One Connect box with a receiver. I am real down the middle of the road on price, just retired and need something that can last until they put me in the ground. I am a 64 year old woman trying to learn what all this means.
Thanking you in advance!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
As far as i know soundbars and AV revievers would interact with the samsung tv in the same way but an AV reciever should generally give you more options.
How did you connect things before?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Typically, you connect all your sources to your A/V receiver, then use the output from your A/V receiver into the One Connect box. You can go into Input 1 on the box, and just leave your TV on Input 1 all the time. This is what I do. I then turn on my A/V receiver and switch inputs inside the A/V receiver and adjust the volume of the A/V receiver. I do NOT use any 'SMART' functionality (Netflix/Prime/etc.) inside my TV. Instead, I use a Roku for that functionality, and the Roku is connected (surprise) to my A/V receiver.

I use a good universal remote to run everything so I don't have to use multiple remote controls.

Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, and others all make very reasonably priced A/V receivers with good connectivity.

If you have an existing surround sound system with speakers throughout the room and a subwoofer, then you are already setup for much better audio than almost any sound bar is capable of delivering.

S

sbidaho

Audiophyte
Leemix
Since the receiver died before I had looked at the back. I originally thought it was a DirecTV issue so I called them out. The tech discovered it was the receiver and just unplugged everything from the receiver, so I am screwed in that sense.
I know someone has the answer...it is simply a Samsung TV with the One Connect Box, DirecTV, Samsung Blue-Ray player and I did get a new receiver this morning, another Onkyo. Currently, the TV is plugged into the OCB and the DirecTV cable, but does the Blue-Ray player plug into the OCB or into the Receiver? And the biggest issue of all is how do I set up the HDMI ARC? I wish I was better educated in these things but at 65 (and female) I am just beyond that point in my life.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Leemix
Since the receiver died before I had looked at the back. I originally thought it was a DirecTV issue so I called them out. The tech discovered it was the receiver and just unplugged everything from the receiver, so I am screwed in that sense.
I know someone has the answer...it is simply a Samsung TV with the One Connect Box, DirecTV, Samsung Blue-Ray player and I did get a new receiver this morning, another Onkyo. Currently, the TV is plugged into the OCB and the DirecTV cable, but does the Blue-Ray player plug into the OCB or into the Receiver? And the biggest issue of all is how do I set up the HDMI ARC? I wish I was better educated in these things but at 65 (and female) I am just beyond that point in my life.
BMX is a pro at this. Really! I agree with his recommendation, too. Connect each separate item into the AVR and have the AVRs HDMI OUT(ARC) go to the TV via your OneConnect. You should be able to use ARC no problem, but more importantly, it will allow the AVR to do what it does best: be the brain of the operation. A universal remote would be icing on the cake.
When it comes to setting up the ARC, there is likely a setting in both the TV and the AVR that you will need to toggle. Chances are, when you get them connected, one or the other will suggest the setting to use ARC to control everything. (At least my AVR and TV did that).
Hope that helps!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis