Need help share your wisdom and maybe show some graphs? Noobi/diy

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Hello fellow Audioholic's and DIYers. At the moment I have the Dayton Ultimax 15 subwoofer in my 3 cubic foot sealed box.
I now have a 10 cubic foot internal volume box that I want to use ported with the Dayton Ultimax 15.
I have tried several times learning how to use modeling software. I just again figure it out.
Can any of you guys help me with knowing what the optimal porting would be for this combo. Flat,2-4.5”round ports, 1- 6” round port ?

I understand it’s not the proper way to go about this but it’s what I have and I know it’s enough for an open minded DIYer to help me .
Pretty much just want to know what is the best 6” port size for that combo and what to expect? Thanks

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hello fellow Audioholic's and DIYers. At the moment I have the Dayton Ultimax 15 subwoofer in my 3 cubic foot sealed box.
I now have a 10 cubic foot internal volume box that I want to use ported with the Dayton Ultimax 15.
I have tried several times learning how to use modeling software. I just again figure it out.
Can any of you guys help me with knowing what the optimal porting would be for this combo. Flat,2-4.5”round ports, 1- 6” round port ?

I understand it’s not the proper way to go about this but it’s what I have and I know it’s enough for an open minded DIYer to help me .
Pretty much just want to know what is the best 6” port size for that combo and what to expect? Thanks
If your driver is the Ultimax 15-22, for a box with a net volume of 10 cf, a 6 inch vent pipe would need to be 28" long. The box would be tuned at around 15 Hz and you would get an F3 at around 21 Hz.
You could get more recommendations from Parts-Express. The results would vary with the quantity of damping material used.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
What of the 2 choices would you recommend for an all movie 5.1.4 system in about a 2400 cubic foot room? If ported what may I expect to notice.?

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
If your driver is the Ultimax 15-22, for a box with a net volume of 10 cf, a 6 inch vent pipe would need to be 28" long. The box would be tuned at around 15 Hz and you would get an F3 at around 21 Hz.
You could get more recommendations from Parts-Express. The results would vary with the quantity of damping material used.
Thank you so much for the simple explanation.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
What of the 2 choices would you recommend for an all movie 5.1.4 system in about a 2400 cubic foot room? If ported what may I expect to notice.?
If you have no access to any EQ possibility, the ported box will definitely have more efficient low frequency response down to a lower frequency as well. The ported box is the preferred type of subwoofer box design. A sealed box is to be used when you are too limited in space for the bigger size vented cabinet.

For instance, the optimum cabinet size in a sealed box is roughly 4 cf, and you would get an F3 at 33 Hz. In comparison, the optimum vented box would have a net internal volume of 11.1 cf. This would provide a response down to an F3 at 17 Hz, roughly an octave lower.

The rather small room size such as yours most likely will provide some boost at certain frequencies (Room gain). That is the reason why a pair of similar subs, located at the best possible positions, following listening tests and preferably with acoustics testing using a microphone, are useful to improve the frequency response linearity at the listening position.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
@NINaudio built a Dayton kit like that, but it was the 18" version. He has a build thread and said with DSP it's flat to 16hz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis