Need help setting up my system.

bandits007

bandits007

Enthusiast
sorry mods....please move or delete this thread - Started a new one at Room Acoustics

I am pretty new to this forum. I have been reading around on and off but still can't figure out how exactly I am going to be setting this up in my living room. Just not creative enough or can't picture what I want in my head. I was hoping one of yall would help me out. I am positing some picutures of my living room, with whatever is in ther right now. Maybe some of the experts who can picture how the setup will look can recommend something.

I want to set up a home theater system in my house. here is the criteria i wish to follow:

- the system will only be used for everyday television watching, movies, music, and gaming.
- I am wanting to put the Klipsch F-3 system (two F-3s, one C-3, two S-3s, and one KSW-12)
-MUCH EASIER- The Yamaha YSP-1100 ==Good Idea?...No mess of wires....less time?
-Since these front speakers are huge....I am not sure where, and how I can place em to not make my living room look ugly.
-I am not sure what RECEIVER I should buy (PLEASE HELP)
-I also dont know where to place the sub

Here are a few pictures of the room I want to setup the system in.

I know the sofa is not exatly in center with the tv.....But thats why I am here asking for help. How can I set up/place the speakers

I pulled this off a brochure I found for our house. I am trying to make a scaled one. (GREAT ROOM is the area that we have picures of and will be setting up the system in)

Budget wise....$2000?...hopefully that is enough
The TV I have is the Samsung 61" 1080P DLP HL-S6187W
I had the cabinet custom made

If there is any more information or picures that I can provide, please let me know.

Again, any and all comments, opinions, ideas and recommendations are really appreciated.

Last edited:
bandits007

bandits007

Enthusiast
:confused:
I know it has not been that long......but am I not asking the right way?
do I need to post more info?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Relax, maybe there aren't a lot of people online at the moment...

Let me say that looks like a beautiful house. It is typical of new homes where they designed a 'media niche' which isn't helpful at all for true HT enthusiasts because it makes speaker placement difficult.

Because you do have a little wall space to the left of the media niche you could place floorstanding speakers on both sides of the media niche but they will be up against the wall and sticking out slightly. If you can't live with that for aesthetic reasons, you could possibly look at in-wall or on-wall speakers.

The center channel placement will be tricky. You could either remove the door in the center top of the media cabinet and place it there or remove the door at the center bottom and place it there (angled up slightly). You could buy acoustically transparent grill cloth to cover the hole too to improve the looks. Other than that the only thing possible would be to mount it above the niche on the wall (again in-wall or on-wall possibly) but it will be difficult to get good sound with the center so high above your head.

The surrounds can go directly to your left and right on the walls even with or slightly behind the couch. Because the couch placement is skewed to the right, you will be closer to one surround than the other but that can be helped when you do the receiver setup and set the distances to the speakers. I would suggest dipole speakers for the surrounds so that the null of the speaker is at your ear. Dipoles fire the sound in two different directions (front and back) and will create a more enveloping surround. I think dipoles would be better than monopole ('normal') speakers precisely because some listeners will be closer to one speaker than the other. I have the same issue with my surround placement as the room looks similar to yours.

The new homes are often very nice but challenging for HT equipment because of placement of media niches and the fireplace. I looked at dozens of houses before choosing mine and I chose it because the fireplace is in the corner instead of on the big wall and it did not have a 'media niche'. Ironically the model name is the same as my last name, so maybe they had me in mind when they designed it. :)

bandits007

bandits007

Enthusiast
MDS....thanks a lot for responding

It gives me a good start into looking for speakers. As far as a receiver I am really not sure which one to go far but I will be reading around on here to see whats good. Your response has really given me some hope with this whole couch placement being skewed to the right.

majorloser

majorloser

If I'm reading you right, you want a 5.1 system.
As MDS already stated, the center channel can be difficult. If the inner panel on either the upper or lower cabinet door can be removed and replaced with black speaker cloth, the center could be placed in that section of the cabinet. Direct firing rears can be placed on top of the rear kitchen cabinets, too if you decide to step up to a 7.1 system. Cables can be run through the attic to the speaker locations. The side wall even with the sofa but near the ceiling will work fine for polar surround speakers.

bandits007

bandits007

Enthusiast
Yes, you are right majorloser, I want a 5.1 system. I really like MDS's speaker cloth idea, I am definately going to try that first before I even think about putting the center channel somewhere else.
-If I do put the rear channel speakers on top of the kitchen cabinets, the setup will be a lot cleaner, no messy wires. I do not have access to a attic since this is on the first floor but there might be something running in the ceiling since I do have lights all over. After this reply, I am going to open up the plate to see if I can run the wires myself. I am putting up a picture of my celing. The plate to the right is there for the whole house audio, all the wires are running into a room upstairs so I really doubt I'll be able to do anything with the 5.1 or 7.1 setup on that plate.

majorloser

majorloser

The other choice for the center is an in-wall center above the cabinet.

bandits007

bandits007

Enthusiast
YSP-1100 for my room?....your thoughts plz?

i didn't have time to complete this last time and had to put it all on hold....however now im back for about a week and really would like to get this DONE with.

I was considering putting a yamaha YSP-1100. what do the experts here think about it. My floorplan is above.....if i do end up getting the sound bar....i'll slide the tv back a bit and put it right in front of it in the media niche(see pictures). is that proper placement.

I wish i could get a true 5.1 speaker system but i really dont want to have a mess of wires and just dont have the imagination of how i could acheive true 5 speakerism.....okay maybe the front...but the rear speakers??.....i see the advice that i was given above...but i just dont have the time for that

bandits007

bandits007

Enthusiast
Speaker Placement

Alright I was thinking about it today and was thinking that there just isn't enough wall space for the soundbar to do its dang thing. Even though it's website says it can handle rooms as large was 40x40feet, but I just will not be able to truely enjoy it.

What I was wondering was.......I think I can run wires under the carpet. Will anyone here be able to possibly look at my pictures and tell me where the ideal placement for these speakers would be. I really dont want to make any holes in the walls or anything.

So mr. majorloser I really appreciate the idea, but I can't place the rear speakers on the back wall above the kitchen cabintes. I can be happy placing some NOT TOO UGLY OR BIG real channel speakers. For front, I don't mind having whatever. So back to my Klipsch 3 series. What do ya'll think.

THANKS FOR ALL SUGGESTIONS.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis