Need Help: rear speakers for small irregular living room

S

scc135

Audiophyte
New to the board and looking for some help (obviously). My living room is 10' x 18" and my tv and couch are on opposite long sides of the room. The front is not a problem, but the back is. Half of the living room along the couch side is walled, but the other half is not as it empties into the dining room. My couch is right in the middle. How in the heck would I put in the rear speakers? I was thinking about mounting them on the ceiling but would that be ok right over the couch?

It seems it would be better if the couch and tv were on the other walls, but one is also halfway walled into the hallway, and the other is a glass door to the balcony.

It's sort of like this (sorry, no scanned diagram as of right now):
<pre>
WALL OPEN
--------------------------| |
--------------------------| |
H (((((Couch))))) |
A | B
L | A
L | L
------ | C
| | O
| | N
| FS [[[TV]]] FS | Y
-----------------------------------------------
</PRE>
I'm a newbie to all this as I just recieved a onkyo s770 6.1 system as a gift. This thing is too monstrous for my place I think... but I'd still like to use it. Any help at all?

Last edited:
malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
Your best bet is speaker stands. The ceiling mounting has been done before but I wouldn't be too crazy about doing it myself. It would make everything sound like it is coming from above you. Speaker stands are easy enough to make. I know there is one idea in the diy section you can also search for them on the internet (DIY Speaker stands) I have been thinking about makinsome for sometime. You can also get some for fairly cheap ($50 pair??).

The easiest sounding idea I have heard for making them is using 3" PVC with a nice looking square peice of wood on each end. Use a piece of threaded rod going through the middle of the pipe and bolt the wood on at each end. Attached are some pictures of what I am talking about. I had drawn it up in Solidworks a while ago jst haven't made them yet. You can then fill the tube up with sand for some weight.

Edit:: You'd obviously then paint everthing to taste.

Attachments

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
malvado78 said:
The easiest sounding idea I have heard for making them is using 3" PVC with a nice looking square peice of wood on each end.
scc135,

I have almost the same layout as you and decided on moving the seating a little away from the wall and putting the rears on stands and having them elevated at 6' high or so. So far so good but I need to work on the setup a bit more, levels are a bit off. The rear on the open end seems way to distant most likely caused by the rear near the hall area getting reinforced by the wall being so close ... my best guess anyway. :)

BTW, I made a set of adjustable PVC speaker stands from 2" and 1.5" tubes. Very simple to make in about an hour depending on what you have for the bottom and top. These will be great in figuring out the best placement.

Steve

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis