Need help purchasing a new microwave oven to replace my 25 year old one.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
If you have had a good experience and have purchased in the last 5 years, I want to know of your experience to the good. What to avoid is also important. I am overwhelmed with all the curated reviews that are not necessarily true. Any ideas?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If you have had a good experience and have purchased in the last 5 years, I want to know of your experience to the good. What to avoid is also important. I am overwhelmed with all the curated reviews that are not necessarily true. Any ideas?
I have had an excellent experience with the Panasonic brand. I bought my second microwave oven 4 years ago and it works flawlessly. Many years ago, I owned another Panasonic model which worked without any problem for several years until I sold it with the house that I was departing from.

I recommend their products without any hesitation. As a matter of fact, I'm using one of their 10 year old 50 inch plasma TV set which still works like a new one.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
GE and Panasonic are rated very well by Consumers Union.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Here ya go

Screenshot_20201016-203149.png

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Call SVS

Your one stop shop

highfigh

highfigh

Did yours stop working? If so, did it go dark, or just stop heating food? If it went dark, unplug it and check the fuse and if the lights/display still illuminate, it could be a bad magnetron- MCM and other companies sell them- look for a part number and google that to find a replacement.

I have a Sanyo microwave oven from the late-'80s and it still works great. Never had a problem with it. It would be nice if it had a spinning turntable, though.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Did yours stop working? If so, did it go dark, or just stop heating food? If it went dark, unplug it and check the fuse and if the lights/display still illuminate, it could be a bad magnetron- MCM and other companies sell them- look for a part number and google that to find a replacement.

I have a Sanyo microwave oven from the late-'80s and it still works great. Never had a problem with it. It would be nice if it had a spinning turntable, though.
I am trying to figure out replacement is an issue. The door latch is sticking and prevents the operation of my microwave. I have been rapping the door with my fist to get the latch to seat. It’s other wise in working order.

highfigh

highfigh

I am trying to figure out replacement is an issue. The door latch is sticking and prevents the operation of my microwave. I have been rapping the door with my fist to get the latch to seat. It’s other wise in working order.
That could just need an adjustment- you might be able to look online for a manual that shows the latch assembly. The cover probably needs to come off to access the screws.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I've had Sharp and Panasonic, and we have a very big Panasonic at work. I would be looking at Panasonic if I was shopping. If you got 25 years out of a microwave, you're very lucky. 10 years seems to be about how long mine last. They don't die, they just start to fade away and get weaker and weaker. When The Sharp finally got to the point popcorn was iffy, it was time. It was almost exactly as old as the dog in my avatar was, 14. It had been fading for some time before I decided it had to go. I don't know why I waited so long.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Was hunting down something in the garage last night and found a spare microwave oven I forgot all about. I realized that the microwave oven I recently bought was my first I actually purchased. I used my mom's old one for quite a few years then used a roommate's for a while and he gave it to me when he moved...and had one that was given to me when a friend was closing his office but that one I gave to our local bike shop....have no idea how I got the one in the garage, may have come with the house....

@stalag2005 did you end up fixing your old one?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis