Quick question:

Which would you get and why?

I appreciate the help.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha

I'd pick the Yamaha.
It is the audioholics mid-fi receiver of the year. Many positive reviews on this forum. Many good reviews on the preceeding 2500 model. Video upscalling to 720p and 1080i.

I am not familiar with the integra, but it looks like it has a similar feature set.
Also, audioholics will be completing a detailed reveiw soon.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
The Integra is still a an Onkyo in my book. While I spent 15 years as a brand loyal Onkyo fan, I really think they have slipped up a bit since moving into the HT world. They'll need to step things up a bit before I put them in the same class as Yamaha.
My 2 cents for what it's worth.

R

Ratherton

Enthusiast
Someone else recommended the Denon 4306. A little more expensive but what do you all think?

One thing I do not like about my current Yamaha (it is old) RXV690 is that the center channel is not very loud and the rest of the speakers are louder. So when watching a movie, you can bearly hear people talk but the explosions around are very loud.

What is this due to and have they fixed it?

Thanks

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Center Channel

There are a few things that can effect audibility of dialog from the center channel.

1. Receivers ability to adjust the distance and volume level of the center channel (available on any receiver built in the last couple years).
2. Center channel speaker
3. Tonal match of center to mains
4. Location of the center channel speaker and its interaction with the room.

All of the mid-fi receivers you are looking at have appropriate delay, volume, and EQ setting to help fix the problem you have with the center channel. From Denon, the 3806 is more comparable in price and features to the Yamaha RX-V2600.

R

Ratherton

Enthusiast
What I do not like about Denon is that it does not have THX....

Any thoughts?

drmiller

Audiophyte
Buy the Integra

Ratherton said:
Quick question:

Which would you get and why?

I appreciate the help.
I have just purchased the Integra DTR-7.6. I looked at them all Pioneer Elite, Denon and Yahmah...etc. The Integra is a beefer machine. While under the parent Onkyo Company...don't make a mistake this is not made in the same factory as Onkyo gear....it is the difference between a Toyota and a Lexus! I have been a long time Yahmah gear owner and I have enjoyed owning many Yahmah receivers, dvd players etc. I am currently building my second HD video/sound system and upgrading to the Integra from my 4 year old Yahmaha RX-V1200:). Yahmah offers many sound fields...but sometimes is too much...go for the beef with some high end components used in the Integra.

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
I owned a DTR 7.1 that failed under warranty. It was a b!tch getting Integra to replace it. I had to take it several times to the local repair shop, and ship it twice to the regional repair center. After 4 months, to many emails and phone calls to count, Integra reluctantly replaced it with a DTR 7.4.

In the process of being without a receiver for 4 months, I started looking for a replacement. I did a ton of research, and a lot of listening. In the end I settled on the Yamaha 2500.

When Integra replaced my unit, I put the new unopened unit up for sale on several websites for much less than retail ($700). After a month, with no takers, I decided to keep the unit. It's OK, but I'd much rather have the Yamaha.

One thing I noticed on Integra's site is the 7.6 is 5 pounds lighter than the 7.4 that I have. Receivers normally don't get lighter just because. I'd say the 7.6 power supply isn't as beefy as the 7.4. Even the configuration on the back has changed and it is now much closer to the 6.6. Looks like Onkyo / Integra has made the unit cheaper, while adding HDMI.

Do yourself a favor and get the Yamaha. It wouldn't be product of the year on this site if it wasn't good.

P

Paragon Pro

Enthusiast
Just a certification

Ratherton said:
What I do not like about Denon is that it does not have THX....

Any thoughts?
Keep in mind. THX is just a certification that companies pay for after they submit their products to THX for testing. It is NOT a sound field, DSP setting or anything like that. The THX stamp just means that it meets certain build quality requirements, etc. A company could go bankrupt trying to THX certify all of their products. So they need to make financial and marketing decisions when they do this. 9 times out of 10, the quality of the products, especially like Denon, are the same, just no "THX" stamp on the front. This also helps keep the cost down on a receiver that is just as good. Another good example is NAD. Great sound, excellent build quality, and a great, simple receiver. No "THX" stamp, but exceeds a lot of receivers that do have it. That is why they are so fairly priced. Look at the features you are going to use, NOT the bullet points on the website or store card. For my money, HDMI switching is where anyone will benefit the most. As we are progressing in the technology, everything is going to start to have HDMI in/out, all over the place. One cable to carry digital audio and video? For us custom guys, it's like a gift:D

Hope this helps.

R

Ratherton

Enthusiast
Good point...

I would love an amp with:

HDMI
Ethernet (Not very sure how it works but an explination would make my day) Could I hook up my music data base to it???
IPOD conection
XM
Seperate zone 2 speaker outlet

All for under 1,000 LOL

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
In my experience, Onkyo Integra products are not nearly as well engineered from the ground up as Yamaha products are and their responsiveness to issues is non-existent.

Yamaha may not be much better on the customer service side, but in my experience, you don't need them as often. You start with a better product that is geared towards mid-level consumers.

It seems like Integra is trying to be a high-end product, when it is really a consumer mid-level product, and they miss details, which hurts the mid-level consumer. Yamaha tends to not do this and typically is far more responsive from year to year to consumers wishes.

I wouldn't think about it for a second, IMO, the 2600 is one of the singular best valued receivers of the year and is at, or near, the top of my list of best products for the year. For engineering and customer service issues I wouldn't even put Integra on that list.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis