Need Help on Used B&W's

N

natelam

Audiophyte
Hi everyone, I'm quite new to B&W but I know of their quality and want a part of the action!

Here's my question: I have the opportunity to pick up 5.1 set of the following:

Year 1997:
2x 602 S1
2x 601 S1 w/ Stands
CC6 Center Channel
AS6 Subwoofer

I've been offered to buy the package in excellent condition for $800. Here's my dilemma.

1) Is it worth it? Retail for the package in 1997 was somewhere around $1500. What would you pay for them 8 years later?
2) How do the S1's compare to the S2 or S3? I know that they lack the new Nautilus tweeters, but they still have Kevlar cones.
3) Heard the AS6 was B&W's big mistake...why?

Finally, from those of you who have owned this setup (or parts of it) in the past...

Will I be happy with it? I'm a 21 year old student/audiophile who just wants pure sound on a limited budget. I'll most likely be matching these speakers with an A/V reciever like a Denon 1804, H/K 230 or Marantz SR4500 for all around use (movies and music and occasional live music). I don't care that they don't have looks or the latest features, I just want to know, for the price, am I going to be satisfied? Your opinions and input is greatly appreciated.

-Nate

annunaki

annunaki

Find out what a brand new system costs with the same basic pieces. Figure the difference. Tell them what you can get a new system with 2 product developmental improvements for. See if you can get them to budge on the price a little. Talk to a local dealer with an Orion Blue Book. Find out what they are actually worth. $800 is not too bad a price for a system of that caliber. Even if it is 7 years old. I would think you could get them to lower the price a little. Those are still very nice sounding speakers even by today's satndards.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis