Need help on speakers

M

mondav

Audiophyte
I want to upgrade my bookshelf speaker system. I am using a Sony STR-DE995 reciever and I am looking at Polk RM6800 or RM69000. It seems they have the best reviews. I want to stay around the 700-1000 dollar range. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Last edited:
D

dloweman

Audioholic
Look at the Paradigm Studio 20's, a great bookshelf speaker for the price.

J

jimmit

Junior Audioholic
If I'm not mistaken, the "bookshelf speaker system" you are referring to is a HT in a box type of setup. At least that's what the Polk RM6800 is. The Paradigm Reference Studio 20's, while great speakers, would just give you stereo only. They are not a system.

D

dloweman

Audioholic
Sorry about that, I thought you were just looking at getting some fronts, disregard the studio 20's suggestion.

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
I wouldn't throw away the Paradigm consideration -just switch gears to something like the Atoms.

J

jimmit

Junior Audioholic
bpape's advice is good. Paradigm has a great selection of speakers over a wide range of prices. Going back to dloweman's recommendation, another idea is to "build" your system slowly. You could buy the Studio 20's for around $700 or so (with a dealer discount of around 12%, not uncommon). Then, when you've saved up a little more money, say $575, buy the matching CC-470 center channel speaker. Then, when you've saved up another $700 or so, buy another pair of Studio 20's for your rears. Then a sub. Or you could get the sub before the rears, either way.

A lot of people build their systems this way. It takes longer, but in the end, you end up with one kick-butt system. By the way, I have the Studio 20's. They are, in my opinion, one of the best speakers, for the money, that you can buy. Wonderful sounding!

H

hfhlt004

Audiophyte
mondav said:
I want to upgrade my bookshelf speaker system. I am using a Sony STR-DE995 reciever and I am looking at Polk RM6800 or RM69000. It seems they have the best reviews. I want to stay around the 700-1000 dollar range. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Look at the M&K MP4512. Then all you need is a subwoofter with it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis