Need help on purchase!

O

oscar09

Enthusiast
Hello everyone, i am new here as you will see that this is my first post. i am really happy that i stumbled across this site because i am really in need of some help from you audioholics!! So here is the story, i have a Mac that i use to play my music, i really hate the speakers they come with so i got me a simple logitech 5.1 speaker system that is a lot of better than computer speakers. But now i want to amp it up more and get rid of this system and get a real system. I am mostly looking for something to hook up to my computer and get some real awesome sound. I was thinking of getting a receiver but it has so many things of 3d, hdmi, and all these other things that i dont think i will need just to play music. so what do you guys suggest i can buy to hook up to my computer and get a real good sound. only for music playing. I know i will need some speakers as well but i am mostly concerned im the receiver? amplifier? any help would be very much appreciated. By the way, this setup would be for a medium to small room.

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
you can get a simple, small stereo amplifier like this:
Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC Provides Power To Computer Speakers, Bookshelf Speakers, Headphones, And More! 300-383
or a lower end stereo receiver (adds FM tuner, and some additional inputs for CD player, etc.)
Onkyo TX-8255 50 watts 2 channel Stereo Receiver | Accessories4less

you will also benefit greatly from some decent speakers added to one of the above:
Infinity Primus P152 Single bookshelf speaker at Crutchfield.com (priced each)

+++++
2nd option: a pair of "active" monitor speakers (built in amplifier, hook directly to the computer headphone output).
Behringer MS16 Active Personal Monitor at zZounds
Behringer MS40 Digital Monitor 40 Watts at zZounds

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
For your system setup, you want a good quality active monitor. Control everything from your 'puter as you do now, no receiver required. You may benefit from a usb sound card, but maybe not. Take a look at this to start:

JBL :: Product

These are available online or at your local Guitar Center or similar musician oriented retailer, not hi-fi shops. They are great values, and provide some seriously good sound. I suggest those as a start because you could get away without a sub with them.

The JBL are all about the sound, and less about aesthetics. AudioEngine has some active monitors in pretty bamboo cabinets if you want to check out something prettier, and they even have remote control.

Sorry, not really providing reveiver advice, but for what your shooting for (improved sound), I think that this approach sidesteps the receiver requirement and gets you into better sound for similar or less money.

Last edited:
O

oscar09

Enthusiast
Thanks for the input! im in the $500 or less budget for a good stereo receiver. That onkyo really caught my eye but in your opinion what other good stereo receiver would you recommend? Im looking more into having a good sounding stereo receiver since all im going to do is play music through it. As far as the speakers go, i saw these Klipsch at best buy for about $350 both that caught my eye.

O

oscar09

Enthusiast
Do you have a budget in mind?
id say for now any stereo receiver on a $500 or less price is reasonable for me. The speakers im not to worried since my dad has some JBL that sound really good laying around. But my main concern right now is the stereo receiver.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I still think you'll get more audio-grin mileage for your dollar by using what you have and getting active monitors.

O

oscar09

Enthusiast
For your system setup, you want a good quality active monitor. Control everything from your 'puter as you do now, no receiver required. You may benefit from a usb sound card, but maybe not. Take a look at this to start:

These are available online or at your local Guitar Center or similar musician oriented retailer, not hi-fi shops. They are great values, and provide some seriously good sound. I suggest those as a start because you could get away without a sub with them.

The JBL are all about the sound, and less about aesthetics. has some active monitors in pretty bamboo cabinets if you want to check out something prettier, and they even have remote control.

Sorry, not really providing reveiver advice, but for what your shooting for (improved sound), I think that this approach sidesteps the receiver requirement and gets you into better sound for similar or less money.
Thanks for the advice on these. I might swing by a guitar center to check some of these out. Im really picky about how things sound so thats why i thought a stereo receiver would put out the best sound. But i could be wrong, maybe some of these can meet my standards for sound quality. Thanks again!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
id say for now any stereo receiver on a $500 or less price is reasonable for me. The speakers im not to worried since my dad has some JBL that sound really good laying around. But my main concern right now is the stereo receiver.
For $500 you could get decent A/V receiver - a better choice over plain stereo receiver due to digital inputs and a proper bass management (a must have feature if you ever plan to add a sub)

Like this one:
Marantz SR6004 110w X 7ch Home Theater Surround Receiver | Accessories4less

Yes, it's a refub, but it's done by original manufacturer and it's carries 1 year original manufacturer warranty. ac4l is a known and reliable dealer.

Note the retail price of this unit....

O

oscar09

Enthusiast
For $500 you could get decent A/V receiver - a better choice over plain stereo receiver due to digital inputs and a proper bass management (a must have feature if you ever plan to add a sub)

Like this one:

Yes, it's a refub, but it's done by original manufacturer and it's carries 1 year original manufacturer warranty. ac4l is a known and reliable dealer.

Note the retail price of this unit....
Wow that seems like quite a unit. But dont you think it might be a little overkill for a small to medium room? what do you think?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I still think you'll get more audio-grin mileage for your dollar by using what you have and getting active monitors.
- +1

Thanks for the advice on these. I might swing by a guitar center to check some of these out. Im really picky about how things sound so thats why i thought a stereo receiver would put out the best sound. But i could be wrong, maybe some of these can meet my standards for sound quality. Thanks again!
I can't comment on the LSR2328P, but I own LSR2325P - a smaller version which I got for $327 a pair (normally at $400/pr) - I love them - you'd be very surprised how loud these are, yet stay crystal clear even at loudest volumes and have very respectable low-end extension.

I'd try this: go to Zzounds, find 2325p's and on the product page ask for price match to this site:
| The Muzic Store Inc.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow that seems like quite a unit. But dont you think it might be a little overkill for a small to medium room? what do you think?
If you decide to go with passive speakers, then answer is no - this is not an overkill, but a great unit at amazing price. You mentioned you Dad with give you his old JBL speaker....

However if you decide to spend money on your own speakers, then don't put money into receiver at all, instead just get pair of active monitors.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis