Need help on ext. tv speakers

S

Shrimpman

Enthusiast
Bought a couple Samsung 860 LCD's. Sound is terrible with built in speakers. I want to get an external speaker or speaker bar. They both sit over fireplaces so I can put the speaker on the mantel. Is there a good speaker that just plugs into an audio out rca? Do they need to be powed through an AVR or is there a self powered one that can plug in to the wall? Not clear at all on my options. What I can say is that the picture is brilliant, but the sound in all the diiferent options sucks and cannot even be customized to make it pleasurable. I do already have full surround in the room but over kill for general viewing. Price not really object.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, there are self powered monitors.

The annoying thing could be controlling volume, unless you had a rarer TV that can actually control preamp volume via remote.

the other option is indeed using some sort of stereo receiver. there's a sherwood at $100, and had as low as $60 from rat shack a few months ago.

I just can't get myself to give the ok on a soundbar, but YMMV.

A

alexwakelin

Full Audioholic
Oops, didn't notice that you already had a surround system. One option would be to use the A/B output of your receiver to power some speakers for simple TV watching.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis