Need help, just purchased Yamaha YHT-280

H

Holt81

Audiophyte
Ok, I just installed this home theater and I did a sound test to verify that everything was working, all the speakers are working correctly when the sound test is going so nothing is wrong there.

The problem is that I can't get the front right speaker and the left rear speaker to work. I have tried every setting and can't get them to work, the others work fine.

In some setting you can select 2 ch or 5 ch I guess that means whether you want 2 speakers or 5 speakers to work. But what I don't understand is that the sound test worked and I could hear it coming out of those 2 particular speakers, so this doesn't make sense.

Is there some type of setting that I don't know of as to why those aren't working? They can't be broken since the test went fine as I have said.

I'm hoping to resolve this issue because it's driving me mad, I'm getting sound but just not from those 2 speakers, thanks.

UPDATE: I just tried playing the radio on the home theater and those 2 speakers work, but still nothing when I am watching tv. A connection wrong I have from my cable box to the back of the receiver?

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Holt81, welcome to the forum!

What are you trying to listen to (DVD, TV, radio)? If it's an external source, how do you have it hooked up to the Yamaha?

Adam

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Ok, I just installed this home theater and I did a sound test to verify that everything was working, all the speakers are working correctly when the sound test is going so nothing is wrong there.

The problem is that I can't get the front right speaker and the left rear speaker to work. I have tried every setting and can't get them to work, the others work fine.

In some setting you can select 2 ch or 5 ch I guess that means whether you want 2 speakers or 5 speakers to work. But what I don't understand is that the sound test worked and I could hear it coming out of those 2 particular speakers, so this doesn't make sense.

Is there some type of setting that I don't know of as to why those aren't working? They can't be broken since the test went fine as I have said.

I'm hoping to resolve this issue because it's driving me mad, I'm getting sound but just not from those 2 speakers, thanks.

UPDATE: I just tried playing the radio on the home theater and those 2 speakers work, but still nothing when I am watching tv. A connection wrong I have from my cable box to the back of the receiver?
Are you sure they're not working? When watching tv, most of the sound (and nearly all of the dialogue) is going to come out of the center channel with the L/R playing a supporting role. You shouldn't hear constant sound coming out of them, especially with a dialogue heavy show like a drama or sitcom. Something like 24 or The Unit will have utilize them more.

If you want more of the sound to come out of the L/R speakers, you can do this by changing the DSP on the receiver. Most receivers have settings for "Theater", "Music Hall" etc, that will force more of the sound out of the L/R speakers. If you really want to test them to make sure they're working, tell the receiver you have no center channel. This will split all of the sound that was going to the center and force it out of the L/R channels.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis