Need help identifying some speakers....

A

All-Or-Nothing

Audioholic Intern
In addition to items mentioned - I'd like to add - No white VAN will bother to make custom brand print on crossover circuit board... I'm shocked so many people never heard of this brand, but then who knows...

One more picture of the crossover.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Wait a minute. Are you saying that's the entire crossover? There aren't any more components hiding below the opening? That would mean there's only a small cap on the tweeter and a small inductor on either the woofer or midrange. If so, it should sound like a mess.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, it's a white van. It may not be the cheapest white van but there are several white vans to select from on a dealer's lot.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Wait a minute. Are you saying that's the entire crossover? There aren't any more components hiding below the opening? That would mean there's only a small cap on the tweeter and a small inductor on either the woofer or midrange. If so, it should sound like a mess.
Hmm wierd, OP's prev photo shows more components

A

All-Or-Nothing

Audioholic Intern
Hmm wierd, OP's prev photo shows more components

Yes the photo shows more components. I can only position the camera so far to get a shot of the crossover. I don't want to keep pulling these things apart. The crossover actually has 3 of those white plastic spools wrapped in copper wire. From reaching and feeling it also has 3 of the black capacitors and I could only feel 2 of the rectangle white capacitors.

Last edited:
A

All-Or-Nothing

Audioholic Intern
Yes, it's a white van. It may not be the cheapest white van but there are several white vans to select from on a dealer's lot.

Suer it's a white van speaker. I don't dispute that.The build of the speaker is what had me post on here to try and find out more. I don't really post on Audio forums as bias is maybe worse than automotive forums but there have been so many obscure and "Gone out of business" speaker companies down the years I just wanted to know if this was in fact a real company or just random labels slapped on a slightly better built cabinet with decent drivers.

The sound is wonderful also, so that was another reason I was trying to find out more about these speakers. I've had some White van speakers before and none of them ever sounded this good so that was also another reason why I was searching for more info.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Yes the photo shows more components. I can only position the camera so far to get a shot of the crossover. I don't want to keep pulling these things apart. The crossover actually has 3 of those white plastic spools wrapped in copper wire. From reaching and feeling it also has 3 of the black capacitors and I could only feel 2 of the rectangle white capacitors.
Thanks--that makes more sense. The two other inductors (the spools) are used in series on the woofer and midrange to roll them off at the top. They're air core, which would be unheard of in a true white van speaker. The black capacitors are non-polar electrolytics, and one of the remaining two would be used in parallel with the woofer to increase its roll-off, and the other would be in series with the midrange to roll them off at the bottom. The white objects are resistors, one for the tweeter to reduce its out put in relation to the woofer, and the other proably reduces the output of the midrange.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
What does that say on the bottom of the specs sticker?

"The TCN of..."

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Interesting. One of the patents has to do with bose and the description on the back is almost bose verbatim "Direct/reflecting loudspeaker system".

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
OK, I ran it through Photoshop. "The TCN of Acoustic Fidelity."

Everything about this screams white van, except the actual speakers! A crossover that has clearly been designed with some degree of care, lots of numbers on the back that are actually relevant, weighty drivers, heavy cabinets...

How strange. The crossover is dated 7/1/2005, which means they're not that old.

I cannot find anything online about "TCN" or "Acoustic Fidelity" or "Series.9" or any combination thereof... and my Google Fu is strong. I am very interested in where these came from.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Interesting. One of the patents has to do with bose and the description on the back is almost bose verbatim "Direct/reflecting loudspeaker system".
And there's clearly nothing "reflecting" about these speakers.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
And there's clearly nothing "reflecting" about these speakers.
White van speakers are usually masquerading as legitimate products, but this is more like a legitimate product masquerading as white van. If only the OP was near someone with some measurement equipment for a few quick sweeps and little bit of a listen.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
White van speakers are usually masquerading as legitimate products, but this is more like a legitimate product masquerading as white van. If only the OP was near someone with some measurement equipment for a few quick sweeps and little bit of a listen.
Send them to Dennis! :)

A

All-Or-Nothing

Audioholic Intern
It might be cheaper to send me to them. Don't suppose there's any chance these puppies are located in Northern Virginia or suburban Maryland?

I work for the U.S. State Department and I am currently in Cambodia. Long trip for these No Name speakers....LOL

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I work for the U.S. State Department and I am currently in Cambodia. Long trip for these No Name speakers....LOL
When you said this, it stirred some distant memories of when I was overseas in the service of Uncle Sam in the early 1970s. The military exchanges had products for sale that weren't always similar to what could be bought in the continental US. This was certainly true for audio products. It's my guess that these speakers were made only for sale overseas and not in the US. That could be why we haven't heard of TCN speakers.

Jon - noticing that date on the crossover board - nice :).

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Could this be them?

Tcn Incorporated

59 Howard St
Framingham, MA 01702
508-875-5266

I also find this very interesting...

Bose Corp(508) 879-7330
The Mountain, Framingham, MA

The back of the speaker says TCN The Mountain Framington Ma. Could they be a subsidary of Bose?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Lol, that's some good detective work there Ellis, but I have to warn everyone there is no telling where we could end up if we chase this rabbit down the hole. Bose made a good speaker!?! (if indirectly)

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Lol, that's some good detective work there Ellis, but I have to warn everyone there is no telling where we could end up if we chase this rabbit down the hole. Bose made a good speaker!?! (if indirectly)
I am not a Bose fan but I just found it interesting that the info fit together like it did... Coincidence... I have no idea.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis