Need Help - I have a BIG room

B

by305

Audiophyte
I have been listening to speakers & receivers for months now but have no faith that what's been recommended to me will work in my space.

My room is 20x40 with 14 foot ceiling, family room kitchen combo. This extends to the living room and dining room divided by a short, partial wall. Tile floors and about 40 feet of sliding glass doors and windows make this a very lively space.

I like classical, broadway, & smooth jazz music. I want a decent Home Theater System. I have a 55in Sony HD TV, a Dish HD-942 DVR, DVD player, VCR, Playstation. Also a Yamaha digital piano in gloss black, which can be connected to my receiver.

So far, my favorite speakers have been Martin Logans, but with kids, cats, and a roomba, I fear for their ablilty to live a long and productive life. Because of this, I would like wall mounted speakers and plan to audition the new RBH WM-24's as soon as I can. I am also going to listen to the wall mounted Magnepans. Are any of these powerful enough to fill my space? I considered getting the Axiom M60ti system with the 500 sub but would really prefer wall mounts, unless they won't do the job. Only the kids like to listen to really loud music. Most of the HT systems my friends have give me a headache.

So what speakers do you recommend? Also, what receiver would be a good match for the speakers? What sub?

If anyone has any words of wisdom on how to get a system that will sound good in my space, I would appreciate hearing it. Budget is $4000 more or less.

Thanks for your help.

[Please do not duplicate post in multiple forums. Thanks. - Admin]

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
by305 said:
I have been listening to speakers & receivers for months now but have no faith that what's been recommended to me will work in my space.

My room is 20x40 with 14 foot ceiling, family room kitchen combo. This extends to the living room and dining room divided by a short, partial wall. Tile floors and about 40 feet of sliding glass doors and windows make this a very lively space.

I like classical, broadway, & smooth jazz music. I want a decent Home Theater System. I have a 55in Sony HD TV, a Dish HD-942 DVR, DVD player, VCR, Playstation. Also a Yamaha digital piano in gloss black, which can be connected to my receiver.

So far, my favorite speakers have been Martin Logans, but with kids, cats, and a roomba, I fear for their ablilty to live a long and productive life. Because of this, I would like wall mounted speakers and plan to audition the new RBH WM-24's as soon as I can. I am also going to listen to the wall mounted Magnepans. Are any of these powerful enough to fill my space? I considered getting the Axiom M60ti system with the 500 sub but would really prefer wall mounts, unless they won't do the job. Only the kids like to listen to really loud music. Most of the HT systems my friends have give me a headache.

Also, what receiver would be a good match for the speakers? Most of what I like have not been 8 ohm.

If anyone has any words of wisdom on how to get a system that will sound good in my space, I would appreciate hearing it. Budget is $4000 more or less.

Thanks for your help.
It is tough if not impossible to tell you what will sound good in there. You do have a huge space. Is it all open? Are you intending to energize the whole space? Or, just right around your listening place? How loud? Tile floor and glass is not an audio room friendly material. You will have acoustic issues, a primary source of problems.
What you may need to do is find a store that will let you audition in your space. Once you find the speakers you must have, then you look for a receiver or amp combo to drive it otherwise, you may have other issues as well.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
by305 said:
Most of the HT systems my friends have give me a headache.
.....305, did you say 20x40, tile floors, and a 14 foot ceiling?....do you live in Vienna?, haha.....yes, you're going to be bright....we need strength full-range in the frequency response in a room, sure, but you especially are going to need clean and defined low-mids-down, to go against the brightness of your room....I would go with the biggest Axioms they make in the front, same-line center, and same-line bookshelves on stands for surrounds, and rears, you bet, rears, for bringing the front soundstage somewhat closer, and wider, and I would bolt the surrounds/rears stands to the floor if need be......and sub.....and might I suggest "two", "front-firing", subs, up front, to cleanly bring the oscillations to the kitchen, as they fill that room with a solid bed of clean oscillations, and you're washin' dishes wearin' a frilly apron, 305, haha....back off the treble-tone-controls a bit, to taste, considering your brightness, and crank them Axioms....305, if you hang wall speakers, that have almost no lows, in that hard-floored Grand Hall of your'n, you'll probably find out what a really CHOICE headache is.....

.....edit....305, you want to throw as little distortion as possible into a big bright room....were I you, I would go with the processing of a Yamaha 2500 or 4600, and put larger slave-watts on the front three channels....correct, two submarines....grapefruit plugs everywhere......

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Hmmmmm.... something tells me...

...that little wall mounted speakers just ain't gonna cut it. Unless you are flexible on that requirement, don't get your hopes up too high.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis