Need help hooking dvd up to tv but want stereo to play dvd

F

Fatboyslim

Audiophyte
i have a onkyo tx-sa806 and im wanting to play my dvds through receiver. what is the best way to do this ? which hookups and plug ins would i use. someone said i could hook dvd up to onkyo tx-sa806 and then hdmi to tv ?? not sure if this can be done. please help im dying to play movies through my surrund sound. many thanks.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
As long as the DVD player has HDMI out and your AVR has HDMI input and output your golden! ;)

Be sure to select HDMI output inside your DVD players setting and on your AVR be sure to watch which input you put the HDMI in say port 1 or port 2.

Then select the proper output HDMI port to your TV and select the correct HDMI on your TV to view.

F

Fatboyslim

Audiophyte
the onkyo tx-sa806 has a dvd in hdmi slot, is that the slot dvd should go in ??? the out from onkyo tx-sa806 should go into avr of tv ???

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
You can use any HDMI input on your AVR as long as you choose that on you AVR when sending a signal to the tv.

Using the DVD HDMI input on your AVR is for simplicity. Choose DVD when sending signal to TV.

F

Fatboyslim

Audiophyte
ill try this first thing tomorrow. many thanks my friend.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
ill try this first thing tomorrow. many thanks my friend.
No problem!

I still use my DVD player from 2004 :cool:
HDMI wasn’t really available unless you paid for higher end models.

I’m pretty sure the HDMI was for up-converting the DVD image to HD.

DVD-audio used the HDMI for better sound but SACD wasn’t able to transfer audio over HDMI.

The funny thing about up-conversion of video to 1080p on an actual 1080p display was the video would look cartoonish.

Up-converting was more useful on 720p displays which were called HD ready in their day!

I’m actually still using a 720p HD ready projector from Epson!

It actually looks quite good with DVDs and Blu-Ray looks very good. The only downside is my projectors light power at 1000 Lumens on high. I usually only use natural(direct) signal to manage the Lamp life:cool:

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Its very possible he has a blu-ray player, so many call them DVD for some reason. But connections are the same if he has HDMI output like HTfreak said.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Its very possible he has a blu-ray player, so many call them DVD for some reason. But connections are the same if he has HDMI output like HTfreak said.
The only DVD players that I can think of with HDMI where high end and could up convert video plus transfer DVD audio over the HDMI output.

I still use my Pioneer Elite 59-Avi which has HDMI. Unfortunately we don’t know what model of player he has so it’s quite possible he’s using an earlier Blu-Ray player.

F

Fatboyslim

Audiophyte
model - onkyo tx-sa806 - my current dvd player has hdmi out only no rca

Last edited:
L

Leemix

Audioholic General
model - onkyo tx-sa806 - my current dvd player has hdmi out only no rca
Which dvd player do you have?

Connection is like mentioned before, DVD - HDMI - Onkyo - HDMI - TV

The onkyo manual probably have some very clear diagrams.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
DVD player HDMI OUT --> DVD HDMI IN on receiver
Receiver HDMI OUT --> HDMI IN on tv

Make sure you have the correct inputs selected on your TV and receiver (which should be DVD Player on the receiver in that configuration).

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
DVD player HDMI OUT --> DVD HDMI IN on receiver
Receiver HDMI OUT --> HDMI IN on tv

Make sure you have the correct inputs selected on your TV and receiver (which should be DVD Player on the receiver in that configuration).
Should be DVD—>:p<—RECEIVER

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis