Need Help Connecting Polk PSW-108 Subwoofer to M-Audio AV-40 Speakers

theonealex

theonealex

Audiophyte
Hello, I am an audio novice so please bear with me. I'm trying to pair my M-Audio AV-40 speakers with a Polk PSW-108 subwoofer. I have an RCA cable running from the speaker "Line" channel to the subwoofer "Line In" channel but cannot play music through the speaker's front AUX input.

What am I doing wrong? Should my setup be:
  1. aux -> speakers -> subwoofer
  2. aux -> subwoofer -> speakers

M-Audio AV-40 Back Panel:

av40_back.jpg

Polk PSW-108 Back Panel:

psw108_back.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
According to your speaker's webpage those are both inputs on the "left" speaker, so since the line is not an output, that's why your sub doesn't work as it's not getting a signal. Only way I see of using this gear together is to run the sub simultaneously with the "right" speaker via the speaker output, with another length of speaker wire run to the speaker level input on the sub, then use the speaker level output on the sub to your speaker. Most sub-bass is mono so you're not going to miss much. Why did you try to pair these units?

theonealex

theonealex

Audiophyte
Why did you try to pair these units?
In short, I didn't do enough research. I returned the sub already and will just hold off until I'm ready to upgrade my speakers. Then I can make sure I buy a compatible pair.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In short, I didn't do enough research. I returned the sub already and will just hold off until I'm ready to upgrade my speakers. Then I can make sure I buy a compatible pair.
Some active speakers are more friendly to an external sub than others...good thing you could still return it, altho you might have tried my suggestion, it may have worked well enough...

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Whatever is sending an audio signal to the M-Audio speakes – a soundcard? – you can easily use a pair of splitters and send the signal to both the M-Audio and sub. There won’t be any bass management, so you’ll have to set the sub’s low pass filter to match the frequency the M’s bass starts rolling out.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I always have plenty of inputs....didn't think of splitting the source signal, sorry.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis