Need help choosing subwoofers x2 (Dynamo 1600X, SVS SB-3000, Rel HT/1510 Predator)

Altyros

Altyros

Audioholic Intern
Hello, I need some help choosing which subwoofer to buy x2. This is what I'm looking atm, I can get the ML Dynamo 1600X for $2,026 a pair, the SVS SB-3000 for $1500 a pair, REL HT/1510 PREDATOR $1,968 pair, SVS SB-4000 for $2,078 pair. I am pairing these with a Marantz Cinema 40 and below is my setup:
Martin Logan XTF100 (Towers) x2
ML XTB100SW x4 (Bookshelf)
ML XTC100SW (Center)
ML Sistine 4XC x4 (Atmos)
This will primarily be used to watch movies and listen to EDM festivals when streams are live. Room is 16x14.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
All are really good choices, especially at those prices. I would have to go for dual SVS PB-3000 in that bunch, because $1500 for a pair is just a killer deal. The ML and REL sub will have very good mid-bass above 40Hz, but the PB-3000 will be able to match their mid-bass output while offering significantly more output in deep bass.

Altyros

Altyros

Audioholic Intern
All are really good choices, especially at those prices. I would have to go for dual SVS PB-3000 in that bunch, because $1500 for a pair is just a killer deal. The ML and REL sub will have very good mid-bass above 40Hz, but the PB-3000 will be able to match their mid-bass output while offering significantly more output in deep bass.
Ok seems the guy sold the SVS PB-3000, so between the ML Dynamo 1600x, SVS SB-3000 and the rel HT/1510 Predator which would give me the best results, all are around the same price give or take $100 for a pair

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ok seems the guy sold the SVs PB-3000, so between the ml dynamo 1600x, svs sb-3000 and the rel predator which would give me the best sound, all are around the same price give or take $100
They each have their individual strengths. I suggest you look at our reviews and decide which is best for you: ML Dynamo 1600X, SB-3000, and REL HT/1510.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My .02 is of those three at the same price, the ML would be my choice.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If it were you having to choose between the 3, the rel ht/1510, ml dynamo 1600x and svs sb-3000 all for $1600 a pair which would you choose?
All three options will give you all the mid-bas you will ever need so I would focus on the lower bass output. I would very narrowly go for the REL sub, but it is very close between that and the Dynamo. The ML has a more sophisticated amp and more mid-bass output, but the REL has better build quality. The SB-3000 is a great sub and has better build quality than the ML and REL sub, but it just doesn't quite have as much displacement for deeper bass.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
C
All three options will give you all the mid-bas you will ever need so I would focus on the lower bass output. I would very narrowly go for the REL sub, but it is very close between that and the Dynamo. The ML has a more sophisticated amp and more mid-bass output, but the REL has better build quality. The SB-3000 is a great sub and has better build quality than the ML and REL sub, but it just doesn't quite have as much displacement for deeper bass.
Curious, what were the differences in the build quality between the ML and the Rel?

Altyros

Altyros

Audioholic Intern
What if you throw in the SVS SB-4000, how does that toss up the picks?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why did you pick that one? I need some knowledge lol
Well I'd rather have a ported sub, too bad the PB3000 is off the table. Maybe the PB4000 then. Of your three I responded to, I'd rather have the larger driver, and the feature set of the ML is better than the Rel (plus am not a big fan of Rel).

Altyros

Altyros

Audioholic Intern
Well I'd rather have a ported sub, too bad the PB3000 is off the table. Maybe the PB4000 then. Of your three I responded to, I'd rather have the larger driver, and the feature set of the ML is better than the Rel (plus am not a big fan of Rel).
Does the ARC features in the ML matter if you have MiniDSP UMIK-2 and Dirac Live? I have marantz cinema 40

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does the ARC features in the ML matter if you have MiniDSP UMIK-2 and Dirac Live? I have marantz cinema 40
Not so much but could be handy in other applications down the line. I don't see that the enclosure is much thicker on the Rel, tho and the flexible feet on the ML might be of use. Performance wise not a lot of difference in any case.

ps where are you where you get such a choice of used subs?

Altyros

Altyros

Audioholic Intern
Not so much but could be handy in other applications down the line. I don't see that the enclosure is much thicker on the Rel, tho and the flexible feet on the ML might be of use. Performance wise not a lot of difference in any case.

They're not used, they're brand new using my wife's discount best buy

Altyros

Altyros

Audioholic Intern

I can also get the SVS SB-4000 for $2,078 pair

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis