Need Help Choosing Speakers/Sub for 5.1 Setup

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
Hello,

I'm new to the audiophile world and I'm looking for suggestions to choose my speakers and sub. I have no idea where to start. I know this has been asked a million times but here's my setup along with pictures.
You're in pretty much the same place I was in a while ago. I am going to be the 1000th person to give this advice but I honestly believe building things up in pieces works pretty well.

I'd start out with a 2.0 system that is as good as you can afford. If you're only concerned about audio quality don't be afraid of buying "B-Stock" or speakers with minor cosmetic imperfections. With some companies their B-stock is as good in terms of finish as some company's A-stock. This can save you some $.

Seeing that you might be quality limited initially the 2.0 speakers may not have much bass so getting a GOOD sub [or multiples] in a room as large as yours sounds like a decent next step.

Just continue building-out your system until you're happy with it.

My early mistakes:
  • Try not to buy into any "magic" cables that carry a big price tag. Good quality cables can be found from the Internet for reasonable prices. Same likely goes for power conditioners and similar.
  • If you don't like mismatched audio during any panning [movement of audio from speaker to speaker] then try to match your speakers as closely as possible.
  • IF you really like your music AND have "picky" ears try to avoid the temptation to buy "cheap" 5.0 speakers in a box. While it's easy I would think you should buy stuff you enjoy as opposed to stuff that you can just "put up with".
  • Do your research and understand what you NEED to have vs. things that would be NICE to have. This way you can balance budget vs. needs vs. wants and you should be able to find a sweet spot.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
While a 2.0 approach seems wise in theory, the front 3.1 are critical in a tv room. The center channel is doing a lot of the work and the sub assists the other speakers, as well as, provides the fun theater effects. I would aim for 3.1 and get that right first and buy what is easily returnable if necessary.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
"I'm the bread crumbs in the butter".................I love a great phrase. That was good stuff right there.
I had to mull that over to make sure I got it. Nice.

And you are correct. Crap is crap. And, surrounds probably won't make or break anything you listen to today.
Both ideas can breath in the context you put them.
Hey buck! I’m glad you liked that one. feel free to use it! I like to use it when I feel like I’m going against the grain if ya know what I mean. I tried to explain to my wife. She didn’t understand...lol!
Glad your still chiming in. Hope you and your family have a nice Christmas.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Hey buck! I’m glad you liked that one. feel free to use it! I like to use it when I feel like I’m going against the grain if ya know what I mean. I tried to explain to my wife. She didn’t understand...lol!
Glad your still chiming in. Hope you and your family have a nice Christmas.
I'm just reading and skimming more posts now than commenting. One of the wonders of getting your favorite sound system up to snuff and performing is it changes your need for information. My music room is awesome now. I need very little in the way of help. I spend my time listening instead of plotting my next move.

From an observers point of view, many of the questions on the forum are the same re-hashes of "what's best", or "I have a problem and want somebody else to fix it" or somebody just wants to get in a pissin' contest over something they think they know a lot about. That's fine, but it does get repetitive.

I enjoy the long time posters and forum members. I look for their posts. I hope you have a chance to enjoy your entire holiday season. Its been fun for us out in the desert so far, and I'm assuming Christmas will be great as well.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm just reading and skimming more posts now than commenting. One of the wonders of getting your favorite sound system up to snuff and performing is it changes your need for information. My music room is awesome now. I need very little in the way of help. I spend my time listening instead of plotting my next move.

From an observers point of view, many of the questions on the forum are the same re-hashes of "what's best", or "I have a problem and want somebody else to fix it" or somebody just wants to get in a pissin' contest over something they think they know a lot about. That's fine, but it does get repetitive.
+1 to this. I generally don't bother answering questions that could have been answered with a simple google search. Sometimes people don't know the right terminology to do a search though, and I will take some time to point them in the right direction. I do enjoy the pissing contests though- sometimes a little bit of drama is good to keep the blood pressure going!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
+1 to this. I generally don't bother answering questions that could have been answered with a simple google search. Sometimes people don't know the right terminology to do a search though, and I will take some time to point them in the right direction. I do enjoy the pissing contests though- sometimes a little bit of drama is good to keep the blood pressure going!
shadyj
I always take time to read your posts. one of the steady eddy submitters.
have a great set of holidays

A

adham

Enthusiast
Hello all,

I ended up going with the in-wall Polk 265RT for my front left/right like mentioned before. The install was a process of course with measuring and cutting and avoiding the wall studs etc. With the help of a friend, we ran new speaker wire inside the walls for the new front speakers. The original wiring was located in the corners and I didn't want the new speakers there.

My newest addition is a SVS Sb12 NSD sub. I was able to find a mint condition one locally from Craigslist at a great price.

Here are some pics of the project. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis